IF Trubs plays well this season, is it a blessing in disguise?

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Because he's not getting over 30m in free agency, is why.

It prob won't be 20m a year, but no team is going to pay him big money when he's shown serious inconsistencies.

No way is 2018 mitch worth a franchise tag at 38m a year. His market value would probably be about 25m.

Obviously if he plays BETTER than 2018, then sure. Hell, in that case you just give him that long term deal at 30.

It's not about if he's worth the franchise tag, it's about taking a shot on him for one more year to see if he can play well again or even better then he just played in 2020 instead of locking into him for 3 more years. There's many ways this can be done and that will be up to R.Pace and his people around him. I'm gonna just stop with this and stick with hoping he plays well in 2020 and then worry about 2021 and even more years down the road.

For me if Mitch came out and played well this year i know i wouldn't be sold on him. I would want to see him do it again and hopefully do it even better then he did the previous year.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Tony Dungy believes In Trubs so i'm good with that cause i love Dungy.

“HE PLAYED SO LOOSE AND FREE TWO YEARS AGO…I THINK THE GAME LOST SOME FUN. THAT’S SOMETHING I LEARNED FROM CHUCK NOLL WHEN I WAS WORKING FOR THE STEELERS. DON’T TAKE THE FUN OUT OF IT. YES WE’VE GOT TO WIN AND YES WE’VE GOT TO PRODUCE AND YES WE’VE GOT TO BE ON POINT. BUT IT’S STILL FOOTBALL. IT’S STILL A GAME. SO GET BACK TO HAVING FUN.

I THINK MITCH TRUBISKY…IS HE GOING TO BE PATRICK MAHOMES? HE MAY NEVER BE THAT. BUT MITCH TRUBISKY IS GOOD ENOUGH TO PLAY WINNING FOOTBALL AND GET YOU TO A SUPER BOWL.”

Mitch, with a supporting cast, won't lose you games.

While he leaves a lot to be desired he is more often than not pretty safe with the football, which hasn't really been the case with bears qbs in my lifetime.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why would this be in disguise...everyone who is a Bears should want Trubisky to play well.....I won't understand a fan actively routing for his team to be shitty or mediochre before the season starts....

msadows

Liked Posts:
Why would this be in disguise...everyone who is a Bears should want Trubisky to play well.....I won't understand a fan actively routing for his team to be shitty or mediochre before the season starts....

I only know of one....and he would start a vortex if I summon him.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
“Blessing in disguise”...as in his poor play for 3 seasons would possibly allow us to lock up an adequate QB long term for MUCH LESS than if he had played at that level for all 4 seasons...

msadows

Liked Posts:
“Blessing in disguise”...as in his poor play for 3 seasons would possibly allow us to lock up an adequate QB long term for MUCH LESS than if he had played at that level for all 4 seasons...

Id rather have of had him play good last season and made the playoffs...

But thats just me.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
The dumb ass that isn't worth 38m?

You think Mitch is getting a deal in the 30 millions in free agency if he repeats 2018's performance?

Think before posting.

Mitch, unless he balls out, is not worth the franchise tag. Mitch, unless he balls out, is not getting a major deal from anyone.

Once again, Think before posting.
You're the one that brought up giving him $40M/2yrs vs a $38M franchise tag.
And now you are saying a repeat of 2018 (20th in passing yards, 16th in passer rating) isn't worth the franchise tag. Wow, ya think?

You're original point was that if he plays well, which most would consider around top10, you give him $20M per yr(21st ). While Dak Prescott, last season #10 QB makes $31.5M and while Jacoby Brisett and his 84.6 lifetime( never a season over 88) passer rating makes $28M. LOL, Good luck with that.

I was wrong to say think before you post.

Just stop posting.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The exclusive franchise tag for 2021 is $37.7 million

Signing a 2-3 year deal for around 20m a year, is obviously the better choice. Especially if you frontload the guarantees.
You got that from Prescott info but that would be his 2nd tag with escalators kicking in.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Or pay him that money to see him revert. It simply is what it is and he will likely get paid or traded almost strictly on this year's performance like Goff did when signed.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Or pay him that money to see him revert. It simply is what it is and he will likely get paid or traded almost strictly on this year's performance like Goff did when signed.
The staff will have an entire season with him to evaluate if he has improved, or it is just a fluke.
Whether we trust the evaluation of the staff or not is a different topic!

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The staff will have an entire season with him to evaluate if he has improved, or it is just a fluke.
Whether we trust the evaluation of the staff or not is a different topic!
Right, and then there is no blessing in disguise. He will get what the market bears and his agent can get. It won't be 'much less' than his play would indicate. There's no disguise.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
We would hopefully be able to re-sign him to a relatively cheaper deal, leaving more to build and maintain the rest of the team around him. Even if he plays “good enough” it could benefit the team in the long run.

Yeah, I am NOT predicting this will happen. But IF it does...

The best thing would be for him to play well, but get a high ankle sprain about week 4, then for Foles to play well.

A narrative of 2 QB's is one we can trade out of and get something back for this debacle.

That said, there is very little chance, no chance..ahahhammmm...cough...cough...visionman...that Trubisky plays well behind this o-line with these weapons.

The reason is we can't spread the field. Trubisky is facing too tight of fronts that he can't manipulate, Cohen can't get away from, he can't scramble, he can't throw over them and they will keep forcing him to try, and he can't throw accurately enough downfield.

Foles will also fail, but for different reasons. They might even drop back and respect his arm and quick mind, but we can't protect a pocket passer with this group. It will only take the NFL a week or two to adjust.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If we had...

Trent Williams-Daniels/Massie-Whitehair/Daniels-Osemele-Leno/Massie

and Fournette, I would be excited for Trubisky and rooting for him. Right now I just pity him, and he'll have to get his next chance elsewhere, while we scratch our heads and wonder why Foles has lost it for another year. Blow up the team, coach, GM...etc....repeat. Da Bears. May it be another 30 years.

Trade out poor GM choices Graham/Trevaithon/Foles and we are getting close to affording that. This GM and Coach are out of their fucking minds. I don't understand what they are looking at...

Nagy decided in week 17 at halftime he knew what was wrong with the o-line and Pace didn't do a damn thing. Its going to ruin them.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Right, and then there is no blessing in disguise. He will get what the market bears and his agent can get. It won't be 'much less' than his play would indicate. There's no disguise.
If he played decent for 3-4 seasons he would get a lot bigger contract than only playing decent for one. He would still command a lot...but that’s the nature of the QB position.

1COBearsfan

Equinsu ocha
Donator
Liked Posts:
We would hopefully be able to re-sign him to a relatively cheaper deal, leaving more to build and maintain the rest of the team around him. Even if he plays “good enough” it could benefit the team in the long run.

Yeah, I am NOT predicting this will happen. But IF it does...
IF he plays like a mid-level qb and the offense can improve to shitty college level then this is a scary and contending team. So, yes it’s a blessing

swz01

Liked Posts:
Mitch, with a supporting cast, won't lose you games.

Neither will Foles at $7 mill a season. Foles has shown far more ability within the system than Trubisky has. Besides bumslaying a few bottom feeder defenses like Tampa and Detroit the body of work is abysmal for a #2 pick.

While he leaves a lot to be desired he is more often than not pretty safe with the football, which hasn't really been the case with bears qbs in my lifetime.

Sounds like something you’d look for in a backup QB, not a long term starter.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
To everyone asking about the "disguise" part...

SEE: This forum. Lol.

swz01

Liked Posts:
The best thing would be for him to play well, but get a high ankle sprain about week 4, then for Foles to play well.

A narrative of 2 QB's is one we can trade out of and get something back for this debacle.

That said, there is very little chance, no chance..ahahhammmm...cough...cough...visionman...that Trubisky plays well behind this o-line with these weapons.

The reason is we can't spread the field. Trubisky is facing too tight of fronts that he can't manipulate, Cohen can't get away from, he can't scramble, he can't throw over them and they will keep forcing him to try, and he can't throw accurately enough downfield.

Foles will also fail, but for different reasons. They might even drop back and respect his arm and quick mind, but we can't protect a pocket passer with this group. It will only take the NFL a week or two to adjust.

Trubisky faces tight fronts because he can’t read a defense and can’t throw deep accurately. Teams can play the qb scramble and hb runs without worrying about Trubisky hitting a big play over the top.

If teams overcommit to blitzing a pocket passer you can just screen them until they give up a big play.