IF Trubs plays well this season, is it a blessing in disguise?

msadows

Liked Posts:
If he plays well i'm probably franchising him for next season cause i wanna see him play well for 2 seasons, not one, and then i'm talking long term deal if he can do it 2 years in a row.

Thing is, as others have brought up, you could get him for 2-3 years for much cheaper than a franchise tag.

Unless Mitch plays lights out this year, I think you try to sign him to a short term "prove it" deal.

msadows

Liked Posts:
I agree and have no issue keeping Foles at about $7 mil per for the next 3 years. I'm actually happy to have him as our backup for the next 3 years even at around $7 mil.

Chase Daniel made 6m last year.

But the idea of having a backup making 7m or 8m a year is fucking insane! No way!

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Bears have been going cheap on QB since forever. The result is 1 SB win.

Why would we want to go back to the "saving money at QB" philosophy?

Ppl are over thinking this because if Mitch's draft status. What team would change their philosophy to accomadate a back up quarterback?

Liked Posts:
The question should be if it’s a curse in disguise.

could be a similar situation they had with Cutler where he has a “breakout” year, signs a massive extension and then goes back to being his normal crappy self

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
What’s the disguise???????????????

If the bears get any semblance of good QB play (and that’s a big IF) then it is absolutely a god damn blessing.

If the bears can muster any type of even average QB play they should win the division, and be a legit playoff contender.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Thing is, as others have brought up, you could get him for 2-3 years for much cheaper than a franchise tag.

Unless Mitch plays lights out this year, I think you try to sign him to a short term "prove it" deal.

How the hell would any of us know what we could get him to sign for especially for the next 3 years of his career? I don't think Mitch's agent is gonna let him sign a cheap deal for 3 years. We'll see i guess. Obviously what happens with him this year will have a lot to do with what kind of deal he signs with us or any other team.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
How the hell would any of us know what we could get him to sign for especially for the next 3 years of his career? I don't think Mitch's agent is gonna let him sign a cheap deal for 3 years. We'll see i guess.
“Cheap” as in 20M per or something similar. Even 25m per with QB contracts lately.

yes, that’s about the same as the franchise tag. But if you tag him and he proves himself again, you’re now forking over 40+ a year for him...

jonimus

Liked Posts:
The real question is, what type of comp pick will we get after letting him walk. Imagine if he plays great, and gets signed to a great backup quarterback gig somewhere, maybe even starts some games, who knows!! If we could hammer in a 6th or maybe even 5th (!!) round 2022 comp pick can you imagine what everybody would be saying. All of a sudden taking him #2 overall doesn't look so bad, does it.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
“Cheap” as in 20M per or something similar. Even 25m per with QB contracts lately.

yes, that’s about the same as the franchise tag. But if you tag him and he proves himself again, you’re now forking over 40+ a year for him...
I'm pretty sure the tag will be well over $30m with these new deals being signed.

If he plays well this year, there is not disguise. It will simply be a blessing.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
I'm pretty sure the tag will be well over $30m with these new deals being signed.

If he plays well this year, there is not disguise. It will simply be a blessing.
The big money on those deals won’t kick in for a season or two, so it won’t affect the tag significantly until then.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
The real question is, what type of comp pick will we get after letting him walk. Imagine if he plays great, and gets signed to a great backup quarterback gig somewhere, maybe even starts some games, who knows!! If we could hammer in a 6th or maybe even 5th (!!) round 2022 comp pick can you imagine what everybody would be saying. All of a sudden taking him #2 overall doesn't look so bad, does it.

This guy gets it.

msadows

Liked Posts:
The big money on those deals won’t kick in for a season or two, so it won’t affect the tag significantly until then.

The exclusive franchise tag for 2021 is $37.7 million

Signing a 2-3 year deal for around 20m a year, is obviously the better choice. Especially if you frontload the guarantees.

msadows

Liked Posts:
There are only a few select meatballs on this board who think mitch playing good isn't in the best interest of the bears because then theyd have to pay a starter 22mill and a backup 8 mill.

Ohh god forbid!

There are also a select few who think serviceable isn't good enough, because they've evidently been in a coma the last 60 years.

This team with a serviceable QB is a legit playoff threat.

I would love if mitch has a repeat of 2018 during this season. Yes, its not spectacular, but its good enough.

That type of QB is more than good enough to lead this franchise during this defenses window until we start another rebuild and THEN we could reassess the qb situation. That type of qb makes you competitive for the next 2-3 years while your defense is still top 5 in the league.

Do I think it happens....probably not...but a man can dream. If we need to figure out who starts under center AGAIN next season, the only thing I can guarantee you is that this defenses prime will be wasted.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers

Signing a 2-3 year deal for around 20m a year, is obviously the better choice. Especially if you frontload the guarantees.
What dumb ass would sign a 2 Yr $40 deal instead of a 1 yr $38M deal?

Think before posting

msadows

Liked Posts:
What dumb ass would sign a 2 Yr $40 deal instead of a 1 yr $38M deal?

Think before posting

The dumb ass that isn't worth 38m?

You think Mitch is getting a deal in the 30 millions in free agency if he repeats 2018's performance?

Think before posting.

Mitch, unless he balls out, is not worth the franchise tag. Mitch, unless he balls out, is not getting a major deal from anyone.

Once again, Think before posting.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

Yeah good call. It's definitely taking a chance so lets just hope the kid plays well and actually gives Pace reason to make that decision and then hope whatever we do works out best for the team and our future cap.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

But if he plays well then why would he sign for $20 per for 3 years? He had a decent 2018 and we had good hopes for him and then fell off last year so if he now comes back and plays at least as well as he did in 2018 and hopefully better then i can't see why he would take 3 years at $60 mil.

msadows

Liked Posts:
But if he plays well then why would he sign for $20 per for 3 years? He had a decent 2018 and we had good hopes for him and then fell off last year so if he now comes back and plays at least as well as he did in 2018 and hopefully better then i can't see why he would take 3 years at $60 mil.

Because he's not getting over 30m in free agency, is why.

It prob won't be 20m a year, but no team is going to pay him big money when he's shown serious inconsistencies.

No way is 2018 mitch worth a franchise tag at 38m a year. His market value would probably be about 25m.

Obviously if he plays BETTER than 2018, then sure. Hell, in that case you just give him that long term deal at 30.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Tony Dungy believes In Trubs so i'm good with that cause i love Dungy.

“HE PLAYED SO LOOSE AND FREE TWO YEARS AGO…I THINK THE GAME LOST SOME FUN. THAT’S SOMETHING I LEARNED FROM CHUCK NOLL WHEN I WAS WORKING FOR THE STEELERS. DON’T TAKE THE FUN OUT OF IT. YES WE’VE GOT TO WIN AND YES WE’VE GOT TO PRODUCE AND YES WE’VE GOT TO BE ON POINT. BUT IT’S STILL FOOTBALL. IT’S STILL A GAME. SO GET BACK TO HAVING FUN.

I THINK MITCH TRUBISKY…IS HE GOING TO BE PATRICK MAHOMES? HE MAY NEVER BE THAT. BUT MITCH TRUBISKY IS GOOD ENOUGH TO PLAY WINNING FOOTBALL AND GET YOU TO A SUPER BOWL.”