IGT: Cubs @ Dodgers Game 4(NLCS)

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
So,IMO, you dont bench Russell. He is 22. He needs one hit to breed confidence. Im not opposed to starting Soler. He had nice at bats last night and made hard contact on his foul balls. He got hosed on strike 3. Cubs need to work counts against Urias. Almora is not a work a count type hitter.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I hate that it became necessary, due to bad teams, for Take Me Out to TheBallgame to always be followed by "Let's get some runs!"

(One knucklhead "celeb" yelled it this year when the Cubs led8-2)

But tonight, I'd yell it after the national anthem.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
So,IMO, you dont bench Russell. He is 22. He needs one hit to breed confidence. Im not opposed to starting Soler. He had nice at bats last night and made hard contact on his foul balls. He got hosed on strike 3. Cubs need to work counts against Urias. Almora is not a work a count type hitter.

This is where I'm at for the most part but switch Zobrist to RF with Soler in LF.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Honestly, even if the cubs end up losing this series I wont feel bad. Look at how they have lost. One game was a bullpen blow up vs the giants. One was a 1-0 loss to Kershaw. And the last was the previous Cy Young winner having arguably his worst start of the season. Sure the team hasn't hit but they've gone up against the #1, #5, and #10 pitchers in fWAR and that doesn't even count Hill who's been fantastic. Additionally, Matt Moore, Shark, and Kenta Maeda are far from scrubs.

In other words, if the cubs lose... I mean that's baseball. That's why you never go all in for one year. Last night's loss is really the only one they were really "beat." Their bull pen blew the one giant loss and they were what 5 feet from a 2-1 win vs the dodgers?

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
If Tebow can break out of his slump, then so can this offense.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
You have to question how Urias will handle not making a start since the 29th. The Cubs typically do not fare well against guys they haven't seen before but they saw Urias earlier this year and hit him for three homeruns and five earned runs over five innings of work. Only four K in there so they saw the ball fairly well on him.

Key to tonight is Lackey. He has to keep their offense down and give the Cubs a chance to get a lead and take a deep breath. Cubs can ill-afford to have a game where they fall behind and start to mentally press or have a game where every time they get a lead, they give it right back.

Regarding sitting Russell, only reason I'd sit him is due to his struggles with lefties who don't throw hard as opposed to sitting him because he's struggling. At this point, it's simply more a platoon decision to go with Baez at SS and Zobrist at 2B and you also want to get Almora's OF defense in there to help Fowler shade over to Soler since Lackey is not a ground ball pitcher (only 41%).

DanTown

Liked Posts:
Interesting question about Rizzo: he sets up where he does because he feels that pitchers cannot hit that spot on him (upper third/inner half) enough that eventually guys will either miss and hit him or miss and leave it out over the plate. In the playoffs though, Rizzo faces more lefties (which is an easier spot for a lefty to hit since it's his natural side of throwing) and he faces better pitchers who can quite simply hit smaller spaces.

I'm not saying he's never going to hit in the playoffs because that's false, he will get hits but the question is will he be a .292/.385/.544 hitter against the competition with that approach. Does Anthony have to change his approach and either become a more aggressive hitter (meaning he's looking to turn on anything in the zone) or does he have to start going the other with breaking pitches on the outside part of the plate? Should he set up six inches further back to get his hands through better on the inner half? Does he have to keep his style going? Interesting question that the obvious and only answer to is "no, don't trade him".

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:

Well Russell has one hit and still no confidence. His 95 RBI's were all before september it seems. maybe 4 in september. You need this game to not need to win three straight with Kershaw throwing at least one of those 3. In all honesty, if Kershaw did not get that strike at the letters, the cubs would have hit him better. Rizzo took him out 10 feet foul and if Baez pulled his 40 feet it would have left.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Its baseball man. Drink it in.

That phrase always makes me think of this segment and then that makes me happy...

[video=youtube;A42Mz67oAyA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A42Mz67oAyA[/video]

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
You have to question how Urias will handle not making a start since the 29th. The Cubs typically do not fare well against guys they haven't seen before but they saw Urias earlier this year and hit him for three homeruns and five earned runs over five innings of work. Only four K in there so they saw the ball fairly well on him.

Key to tonight is Lackey. He has to keep their offense down and give the Cubs a chance to get a lead and take a deep breath. Cubs can ill-afford to have a game where they fall behind and start to mentally press or have a game where every time they get a lead, they give it right back.

Regarding sitting Russell, only reason I'd sit him is due to his struggles with lefties who don't throw hard as opposed to sitting him because he's struggling. At this point, it's simply more a platoon decision to go with Baez at SS and Zobrist at 2B and you also want to get Almora's OF defense in there to help Fowler shade over to Soler since Lackey is not a ground ball pitcher (only 41%).

Urias will pitch 7 shut out innings with 8 K's and 0 BB's. He'll bridge to The Executioner, who will choke us out and end our season.

Winter meetings right around the corner for Theo to fix this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Urias will pitch 7 shut out innings with 8 K's and 0 BB's. He'll bridge to The Executioner, who will choke us out and end our season.

Winter meetings right around the corner for Theo to fix this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're winning a race to the bottom with yourself.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
You're winning a race to the bottom with yourself.

Care to put your money with your mouth is? Lets make a bet. If Urias gives up 1 run or less, you have to put up a signature of my choosing. If Urias gives up 2 runs or more, I will put up ANY signature you choose. Even if it says "I'm Fat DJ and I suck big balls."

Care to wager? I guarantee Urias will shut us down in devastating fashion.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
care to put your money with your mouth is? Lets make a bet. If urias gives up 1 run or less, you have to put up a signature of my choosing. If urias gives up 2 runs or more, i will put up any signature you choose. Even if it says "i'm fat dj and i suck big balls."

care to wager? I guarantee urias will shut us down in devastating fashion.

lol "i love ball sucking and eating aurelios pizza with derp"

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Care to put your money with your mouth is? Lets make a bet. If Urias gives up 1 run or less, you have to put up a signature of my choosing. If Urias gives up 2 runs or more, I will put up ANY signature you choose. Even if it says "I'm Fat DJ and I suck big balls."

Care to wager? I guarantee Urias will shut us down in devastating fashion.

You're getting closer to the bottom, not the top.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'll take that bet with you D.J. Urias will give up more than 2 runs for sure. I've watched him plenty, he will be lucky to get a quality start against this Cubs lineup.

He will give up at least one tater, and probably doesn't even make 6. 4 runs in 4 innings or something like that.