Interesting Responses From 16 Team Scouts About Fields

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
QB1, QB2.... whatever. it's a coin flip at that point. either or neither could be a stud

it's just insane that bears are in that conversation at all
I completely agree. I was hoping that the Bears would draft Teven Jenkins at 20 coming into the draft. If that happened I would have been as happy as a pig in shit.

Now, after the draft is finished, the Bears have given me the hope of them having landed a franchise QB for the first time in my life (and I am no longer young) with Fields AND still getting Jenkins in the 2nd.

From that point, the draft was an A+. If any of the other players pan out, I would add a '+' for each one that pans out.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
One thing that always struck me as odd...was the idea that the "anti-christ" would come to be this bad evil mother fucker...the baddest..the evilist...etc etc...when that is generally the attitude of the dimmest among us. Perhaps if the Christ came and reformed the Jews, the Anti-Christ will come and reform the Satanists?

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
I have never understood the infatuation with Lawrence. A good prospect to be sure. But so many are considering him one of the best ever? Just never saw it...
I agree. I had fields as qb1 all offseason. I get the Lawrence love though. What I don’t get is the infatuation with Wilson. 3 qbs taken in top 5 and none were fields was a surprise to me

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
Someone on ABC said Fields has a much better long ball than Lawrence. They were ranked 1&2 for a good while. Unsure what made so many teams get uneasy about Fields.
Saw an article somewhere that said teams were uneasy about: epilepsy, needing to read defenses better/get the ball out faster. I am not agreeing or disagreeing just reporting what I read.

Canth

Liked Posts:
Apparently one of the other concerns of some evaluators has been Field's throwing motion. I think that stuff gets blown out of proportion a bit. There are always fundamentals, footwork is a big one, for these guys to work on and keep refining when they get to the next level. It's not like Fields has a Tebow wind-up going on.

And this is where Flip will earn his keep. I am soo glad we have a guy like DeFilippo now as the qb position coach instead of Dave Ragone to be working with Fields on those fundamentals.

wally chambers

Liked Posts:
How long is Patterson sticking around.. Newsome breaks a lot of tackles and will / can take over return duties. Something Wimms and Ridley can not offer.
follow your Bears man. Who is Patterson? If you are referring to Cordell. He plays for the Falcons.

NorcalBear

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
follow your Bears man. Who is Patterson? If you are referring to Cordell. He plays for the Falcons.
Right. I figured Patterson was gone or at least soon to be regardless, and my point to Rask is that Newsome has value as a returner. Which is why i quoted his post.

Midwaymonster75

Liked Posts:
I have never understood the infatuation with Lawrence. A good prospect to be sure. But so many are considering him one of the best ever? Just never saw it...
You must be blind. I understand loving our guy and i absolutely love JF and believe he is easily the 2nd best qb in this draft but im not going to knock Lawrence to prop up JF any further. He doesnt need it. In 5 years its not going to matter when both are among the best qbs in the league.

Speed

Liked Posts:
Lawrence is a great prospect. I don't buy him as an all time great prospect as he was sold by the media, but he's worthy of the #1 pick.

It's Trey Lance that shocks me. Trey Lance over Justin Fields is peak NFL stupidity. Thank god. But it's literally insane. By literally any metric, Fields is the superior prospect.

Preach. I can definitely see the huge upside with Lance. Athletic, built like a brick shithouse, and ND State does put a heavy workload on their QB room but... not a better QB at this point at least. I want to say the same about Wilson too, but I've got a slightly more optimistic feeling about his tape. Mitch has fucked my head on these 1 year superstars.

But it's like damn what does a dude have to do? Fields had a Heisman type campaign in 2019, and a real good year in 2020 in what was a weird year for everyone, and it still wasn't enough to prevent a little slide.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Are we salesman for Fields now?

Is Lawrence's deep ball poor? Because I don't see alot of accuracy or spiral from Fields. Alot of muscled throws, he gets the ball there. He's a good athlete and playmaker and he gets the ball there, but its not a throwers ball. Nagy can probably help him alot.

I'd like to see better touch and anticipation. Touch and spiral seem to be lacking in Fields right now.

"I guess pretty balls are only going to get you so far in life." ~ Rex Grossman 2014

jerkstore

Liked Posts:
Why did he slide you ask?

•Lawrence and Fields have been neck and neck since H.S. and Fields’ success threatens the anointed, golden god that is T. Lawrence.

•Fields’ talents, even his mechanics, challenge preconceptions of what a QB, especially a “black QB”, can/should be. Fields’ is often euphemistically referred to as a running QB though he has always been more of a pocket passer.

•Orlovsky’s report of work ethic concerns, the epilepsy leak, the characterization as a “one-read and run” guy were all put out there to explain what was really a fall based on Fields threat to QB norms in general and Lawrence’s throne in particular.

•Chris Simms’ Ranking
-In ‘18 Simms had Lamar Jackson as his top QB, a call which Simms has used to defend his position on Fields. However, Jackson fits the traditional QB stereotypes more comfortably than Fields. There is a secondary wrinkle here in that Jackson was clearly being underrated by both the media and the league. Simms was able to play the “white knight” role in this instance.

There’s more, there’s much more, but fuck it I’m getting tired.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Someone on ABC said Fields has a much better long ball than Lawrence. They were ranked 1&2 for a good while. Unsure what made so many teams get uneasy about Fields.
His release is slower. Not sure what they think of his mechanics. When I see highlights he sometimes doesn't look like his footwork is what coaches would like, yet the deep balls are accurate, so it isn't hurting him. I don't know what else the concerns are.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

Is Lawrence's deep ball poor? Because I don't see alot of accuracy or spiral from Fields. Alot of muscled throws, he gets the ball there. He's a good athlete and playmaker and he gets the ball there, but its not a throwers ball. Nagy can probably help him alot.

I'd like to see better touch and anticipation. Touch and spiral seem to be lacking in Fields right now.
We are apparently watching different highlights.

Shepard

Renegade
Donator
Liked Posts:

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I completely agree. I was hoping that the Bears would draft Teven Jenkins at 20 coming into the draft. If that happened I would have been as happy as a pig in shit.

Now, after the draft is finished, the Bears have given me the hope of them having landed a franchise QB for the first time in my life (and I am no longer young) with Fields AND still getting Jenkins in the 2nd.

From that point, the draft was an A+. If any of the other players pan out, I would add a '+' for each one that pans out.
I am exactly the same way. I would have been fine getting Jenkins at 20. And actually, had the bears moved up to #4 to get Fields, I would expect it would have cost the 2023 #1 as well, and I would not have been upset with that.

The way it turned out? Terrific.

Some will never stop complaining about using that 3rd rounder, but they got quality at OL, not just a body. That matters.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers

Saw something that Fields was one of the most accurate QBs on passes over 10 yards, and that includes above Lawrence.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
It happens every year. There's too much time between the final college games and the draft. Teams overthink everything and sometimes the measurables will have one guy skyrocket up the board while other guys will plummet for no real good reason. What does a guy do on the field? That's what should count. After watching Fields gut out a historically great performance against Clemson in the college semi-final game I knew that guy was legit. He shredded a team full of future pros while injured. He's athletic, a true duel threat, great team leader and and gritty.

It's fantastic the Bears were able to trade up and snag him and the fan base deserves this. My concern now is the Bears coaching staff will fail to develop him properly or surround him with enough talent to succeed. Someone talk me off the ledge.
They spent the next two picks, including a trade up, to get beef in front of him. That's a good sign and a smart move. They don't have Atlanta's or Dallas' WR corps, but Arob, Mooney, Kmet, Montgomery and Cohen don't suck as weapons. Not the greatest group, but not bad. The offense has clearly been subpar, but that is due mostly to QB and OL and that has been addressed.