Is Burton worth the money?

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
What's your opinion.

Me, I don't get it he has never done squat. I like Burton and think he will fill a nitch but I can't believe what we paid. I would have never done it, there is no justification to pay that kinda money to a undrafted third stringer. 2 yds per carry and 9 yds per reception is pretty bad. I see people putting him on lists as a top TE but he has never even put up backup numbers. Our third string TE has better career numbers. I'm not a hater as I root for all our players but I don't see us getting our money's worth with Burton.

OK it's slam time, come and get me tough guys. But when you're done spewing internet toughness tell me why he is worth what we paid. I'm just trying to understand this move. I like Burton but I think we overpaid by a lot.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Classic case of paying the guy for his potential in the new offense.

I imagine because we'll be seeing things we haven't seen before there are myriad reasons to question some of the money given. I think/hope his play in this offense will make this a moot question in November.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Right piece for the puzzle stuff. Probably not worth it individually but worth it to the whole due to scheme fit. FA has never been about value gets.

Mikeropod

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. San Antonio Spurs
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Cleveland Browns
  1. San Jose Sharks
  1. Miami (Ohio) Redhawks
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
"Niche," please.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
He has played second fiddle and didn't get much of an opportunity because of who was playing in front of him. He certainly has the body and athleticism of a high ceiling.

But let's look at what he has done with his opportunities. Last year he averaged about as many receiving yards as Zach Ertz per reception. He had a higher catch percentage. He was a favorite red zone target for the Eagles as well.

While he certainly isn't Zach Ertz he has made the most of his opportunities and he has improved every year.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Trey has more Super Bowl TD passes than literally anybody on this team. How is that not worth a measly eight million a year???

gobullschi

Liked Posts:
When I saw this signing I assumed that Doug Peterson told Matt Nagy that Trey Burton was a good player and fit the scheme. (Worth the money) Has this been confirmed or is everyone kind of making that assumption based on the contract?

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
What's your opinion.

Me, I don't get it he has never done squat. I like Burton and think he will fill a nitch but I can't believe what we paid. I would have never done it, there is no justification to pay that kinda money to a undrafted third stringer. 2 yds per carry and 9 yds per reception is pretty bad.

If he hasn't done squat (which I agree with) and has bad numbers, why do you like him?

1COBearsfan

Equinsu ocha
Donator
Liked Posts:
We won’t know anything until the season starts. Why don’t we re-visit this subject next offseason when the new team has a chance to show what they’re capable of?

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
If he hasn't done squat (which I agree with) and has bad numbers, why do you like him?
I am guessing because the OP would rather shy away from climbing out on limbs. If Burton disappoints, he can say that he thought he was not worth the contract. If Burton blossoms into a superstar, he can say he always liked him.

Do the kids still say "wishy washy" because it is the best adjective I can come up with for this thread.

Jechang

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
There is also value in having a few guys on the roster that already know the offense. A guy like Burton might help the whole position group transition more quickly.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I think that Burton, Sims, Shaneen, it could be argued that we overpaid for all them.

Last year when Kelce was hurt, KC did not have another guy that could fill the role and the offense suffered. I think that Nagy saw how badly he needed a back up that could catch the ball and he did not have it, so he does not want to be stuck in that position again.

The reality is if all three stay healthy then it is likely that None of them will appear to be worth the price or draft position that we gave up for them, but if the OFFENSE functions as planned it will be in part due to the depth we have at the position.

Bottom line, it is not my money so if Nagy and Pace think that they need three TEs on the roster that a starting caliber, then so be it...

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am guessing because the OP would rather shy away from climbing out on limbs. If Burton disappoints, he can say that he thought he was not worth the contract. If Burton blossoms into a superstar, he can say he always liked him.

Do the kids still say "wishy washy" because it is the best adjective I can come up with for this thread.
I can't speak to the OP, but my experience is that coming out hard on something on this board just causes people that can't handle different opinions to lose their mind. If it was "I don't like Burton" as opposed to "I like Burton, but" the quality of responses falls off a cliff.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats

They use "stuntin" or "flodging"

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
In the NFL you pay for FUTURE production and not PAST production. So who gives a flying fuck what he as done in the past? Ask this question 8 games into the season and we will be in much better position to answer your question OP. Clearly his past production doesn't add up.... but it doesn't really matter. Also, everyone knows (or should know) you overpay in free agency.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
This off season the Bears paid for a #1 receiver, a #1 TE, and a #2 receiver in FA (in terms of salaries). With a rookie second rounder and two developing second year players who will be in the mix, it's almost guaranteed that at least one and probably two of those signing won't be 'worth the money' as individuals. But that doesn't really matter. What matters is that we have lots of guys who can put pressure on the defense in different ways and that the offense as a whole is much better than it's been the last few years.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This off season the Bears paid for a #1 receiver, a #1 TE, and a #2 receiver in FA (in terms of salaries). With a rookie second rounder and two developing second year players who will be in the mix, it's almost guaranteed that at least one and probably two of those signing won't be 'worth the money' as individuals. But that doesn't really matter. What matters is that we have lots of guys who can put pressure on the defense in different ways and that the offense as a whole is much better than it's been the last few years.

And of all the signings, Burton is the biggest gamble.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I can't speak to the OP, but my experience is that coming out hard on something on this board just causes people that can't handle different opinions to lose their mind. If it was "I don't like Burton" as opposed to "I like Burton, but" the quality of responses falls off a cliff.
I would agree with this line of thinking, but the OP finishes off with: "OK it's slam time, come and get me tough guys. But when you're done spewing internet toughness tell me why he is worth what we paid."

Like he was encouraging everyone to lose their minds over his tepid OP.