Is it safe to say Trubisky is a massive bust?

greg23

Liked Posts:
A bust is someone who was drafted high who sucked, couldn't play and didn't last long in the nfl

Ryan Leaf
JaMarcus Russell
Akili Smith
Cade McCown
Etc, etc etc

Mitch is nowhere near these levels and isn't a bust.....he's clearly not 2nd pick overall worthy nor is he comparable to the other 2 first round picks in his draft class but he's a functional starting qb in the NFL with 2 playoff trips and a winning record.....call him a middle to lower tier NFL starter with a chance to get better in the right system.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't think this game really tells you much. You can make your determination about whether or not he's a bust from the previous 3+ seasons worth of stuff.

But in this one, the play calling was so conservative you can't say much of anything other than Nagy didn't want to risk having Mitch do anything whatsoever. He coached not to lose, and as usual when you do that, he lost.

I mean, Mitch was given literally 1 read on like, what, 75% of his passes? How many freak'n rollout one read plays did he do? Spamming long handoffs means nothing either way other than the coaches maybe not trusting you. Mitch had no real control over most of the passing plays in this one. He wasn't "checking down;" he was going to his only read.

To answer the question, though: Yes, definitely. But there might be hope that he hasn't progressed largely because of horrid coaching. He's streaky. And when a player is streaky, you wonder if he could be consistent if he were coached well.
This is absurd. The packers took away arob and the underneath stuff FORCING Mitch to look for something other than his security blanket. There’s nothing with that, but good qbs get the ball to their playmakers. Mitch checked down constantly.

edit agree the playcalling sucked balls

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Yes

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Put in the proper context, it's absolutely safe to say Trubisky is a massive bust. Bears moved up to the 2 spot to take the 3rd best QB taken in the 1st round. Big swiiiiiing and missed it by a country mile....

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
They do get credit. Thats the new format just not for this year, but indefinitely moving forward.
The 7 team playoff thing was decided in early March. Was it even due to Covid in the first place?

CHIBEAR

Liked Posts:
Put in the proper context, it's absolutely safe to say Trubisky is a massive bust. Bears moved up to the 2 spot to take the 3rd best QB taken in the 1st round. Big swiiiiiing and missed it by a country mile....

and then compounded it by trading for Mack

Grape

Liked Posts:
It is coaching. There are numerous ex-qbs who comment on how reading defenses is a coaching issue and not a Mitch issue.
You really don't think Mitch isn't at fault for his inability to process defenses? Come on man.

I guess you can credit Mike McCarthy for all of Aaron Rodgers' success at that then, or Belichick for everything that Brady has done because that's his #1 strength.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
It’s so sad that the Bears get credit for being a “playoff team” in 2020, as a 7th seed, something that will never happen again.

I’m of the opinion that he’s made the playoffs in normal circumstances one time, and even in that year he wasn’t all that good.

Why won’t it ever happen again? The 7th seed isn’t a 1 year thing. It’s in the CBA.

edit: saw people already corrected you.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
I think it's amusing people are praising Trubisky on getting the Bears to the playoffs twice. if it weren't for the COVID Bowl this year, the Bears would be narrowly on the outside looking in just like 2008, 2011, 2012, and 2013.

just an FYI, the defense ate cock against the Green Bay Packers too. I don't think this is entirely on the quarterback when the leader of the team is a fascist dickhole BHVAASFHAFJHJ987654321.

“COVID Bowl”?

The 7th seed isn’t because of the pandemic. It’s has been talked about for years and now it’s permanent.

FYI they are going to 17 games next year too. And that’s not a 1 year thing either.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
The fact he has no downfield accuracy and still can't read a defense to save his life in year 4 is crazy. Huge bust.
The throw to Mooney that was 10 yards oob was completely horrid... even the short 4th down 5 yard slant to Killer Miller looked worse than my 10 y/o nephew throwing.

His anxiety gets the best of him in big games and he ? the ? .

Tillman33

Liked Posts:
The craziest thing isn’t just taking Trubisky 2nd or the trade up, it’s that the GM thought Watson and Mahomes aren’t that good or wouldn’t amount to much.

I can’t believe the Bears still employee somebody who’s analysis is that off.

Why won’t it ever happen again? The 7th seed isn’t a 1 year thing. It’s in the CBA.

edit: saw people already corrected you.

Yeah I was surprised to find out it’s here to stay. I thought it would be a short term rule like challenging PI.. lol

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
The craziest thing isn’t just taking Trubisky 2nd or the trade up, it’s that the GM thought Watson and Mahomes aren’t that good or wouldn’t amount to much.

I can’t believe the Bears still employee somebody who’s analysis is that off.

Yeah I was surprised to find out it’s here to stay. I thought it would be a short term rule like challenging PI.. lol
You must have been thinking of these

An 8 seed would have been added if games were being cancelled.