Is keeping Jimmy Butler going to be an issue?

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Thompson stretches the floor in a way Jimmy cannot command with his 3 point %. And don't dare compare 3 point percentage by statistics, without agreeing that Thompson takes a higher degree difficulty of shot in terms of defense and distance. Thompson is green light all the time, while Jimmy is encouraged to take smart shots, and Thompson/Curry will still shoot higher percentage. they are in another world in terms of 3 ability compared to most of the league.

I'm just fucking glad we are able to have this conversation nit picking needles out of a hay stack comparing our SG to a young all-star and gold medalist.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I know. That was kind of my point to you.
I don't really see your point. Maybe you're just trying to prove me wrong in my statement that there was a time where people wished they could fuse Korver and Brewer together (recall this is coming from a context where our only shooters on the team were Korver, Deng, and Watson). I am definitely not wrong about that. Nor are you wrong about people wanting a shot creator. So I don't know what's handy about me finding proof of my statement. I am not trying to refute your statement of wanting a shot creator.

ursamajor

D.J. Moore is phat
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Thompson stretches the floor in a way Jimmy cannot command with his 3 point %. And don't dare compare 3 point percentage by statistics, without agreeing that Thompson takes a higher degree difficulty of shot in terms of defense and distance. Thompson is green light all the time, while Jimmy is encouraged to take smart shots, and Thompson/Curry will still shoot higher percentage. they are in another world in terms of 3 ability compared to most of the league.

I'm just fucking glad we are able to have this conversation nit picking needles out of a hay stack comparing our SG to a young all-star and gold medalist.
Jimmy is better in the paint, and at attacking the rim-Thompson is a better jump shooter.

Jimmy is also a tougher cover, as he gets his man to foul more frequently.

Right now, I'll take Butler. Higher ceiling, better defender, and a very good scorer.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
Jimmy is better in the paint, and at attacking the rim-Thompson is a better jump shooter.

Right now, I'll take Butler. Higher ceiling, better defender, and a very good scorer.

Thompson is clearly the best SG in the league, your home-town bias has blinded you to that fact.

ursamajor

D.J. Moore is phat
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Thompson is clearly the best SG in the league, your home-time bias has blinded you to that fact.
Can't see color font in Tapatalk. I am going to assume that you are being sarcastic, and say "good one!"

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Nothing to argue about. Butler is a top 5 player to compliment Rose you could select from most of the NBA. The fact that he isn't a high volume shooter, but can create his own shot, and play defense....I mean he is built to play next to Rose, particularly with a Mirotic/Gasol/ or McD on the court as he covers for their defense as well, but they can stretch the floor and make up for his 3 ball, and they are good above the head rebounders, while Butler is a fantastic go get it scrappy rebounder and leaper. This team compliments one another extremely well and that can't be overlooked.

the fact that Thompson can also play some defense and has good length kind of makes this a moot point. Thompson might stretch the floor a bit more, but getting to the rim and taking pressure off Rose is something Butler does a little better. And Butler is the tougher individual. He compliments Noah extremely well and together they set the tone and run the defense, I honestly think Rose is the fourth best defender right now, after Gibson coming off the bench. Its a nice luxury to have a top defender on the bench like Gibson that comes in with the scorers, or just comes in to shut down defense in the fourth.

The only issue with this team is Moore/Hinrich/Mirotic and by the end of season maybe McD warrant more playing time, but nobody ahead of them deserves less. We have too many talents.

The most beautiful bit of luck to me is that we kinda got screwed not being able to retain C.J.Watson, Augustin, or Nate Robinson who all played out of their minds for us in that roll. Well...Brooks is out of his mind. Dude....we got lucky we didn't lose out on a spark plug player to run and gun in scrub minutes. I love that Thibs recognizes his ability and is giving him pairings with Rose and Butler when we go 3 guard. We can give people a wider variety of quality players in totally different schematic formations.

Teams like Memphis are limited and have one scheme. Houston could be tough, but I think a team like us that plays effeciency on both sides will out basketball them in playoffs. Dallas can do things but I don't think they can play big with us if we want to be bullies. Cleveland can't defend yet at all, and it appears they may never win a championship with that trio, may have to let Love walk to us or Lakers. Can you imagine?

We would have to clear Gibson and Gasol, and would not necessarily be better for it in 2016, but 2017 and 2018 and 2019....we will want him.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
????

And what is "home-time"?

That's called a typo, but it's obvious what I was saying. Fuck it, everyone on the Bulls is better than everyone else not named Jordan. Happy now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That's called a typo, but it's obvious what I was saying. Fuck it, everyone on the Bulls is better than everyone else not named Jordan. Happy now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its a blessing we have the one guy that might be a better fit for the Bulls than Thompson. Almost everyone in the league would trade their SG for Thompson,

they did a good job of making the money work to keep the splash brothers. Its up to us to keep the heart brothers together. Rose/Butler/Noah.

ursamajor

D.J. Moore is phat
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Thompson is clearly the best SG in the league, your home-town bias has blinded you to that fact.
Is Thompson clearly the better player because he is a worse defender? Is it because he is averaging less ppg than Jimmy? Maybe because he is averaging less rebounds/a game than Jimmy. Or is Klay clearly the best because he averages less dimes/game than Jimmy? Is it because he has a lower FG% than Jimmy? Maybe it is because Klay averages less points/shot than Jimmy that makes Klay the clearly better player.

Please, tell me what makes Klay, "clearly" the better player.

ursamajor

D.J. Moore is phat
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
And Jimmy Butler sure did not help my case out. He looked to be clearly inferior to Klay Thompson tonight...

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
And Jimmy Butler sure did not help my case out. He looked to be clearly inferior to Klay Thompson tonight...

I'm all for everyone thinking Klay is the better SG, after all, we do live in an offensive World right now. Offense does win games.

However, defense win championships. And when the time comes to matchup up with a Lebron type of player in a 7 games series, I'll take Jimmy's strength, height, and toughness.

Jimmy has the ability to draw fouls on an opponent. You can't always count on the "3" falling, but you can count on great defense!

ursamajor

D.J. Moore is phat
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm all for everyone thinking Klay is the better SG, after all, we do live in an offensive World right now. Offense does win games.

However, defense win championships. And when the time comes to matchup up with a Lebron type of player in a 7 games series, I'll take Jimmy's strength, height, and toughness.

Jimmy has the ability to draw fouls on an opponent. You can't always count on the "3" falling, but you can count on great defense!
I'd take the guy who can get his in the paint. It is really hard to win it all as a jump shooting team.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Butler played so well tonight this conversation practically has to shift to comparing him to #23 now. hahahaha.

Those pump fakes in the lane, Jeesus, just wanted to come here and say I haven't seen such intense pump faking body control since the aformentioned retired...that was freaking beautiful. And he made the shots for the and 1. I digress, never seen Thompson do that at that level, thats for sure. Butler's game is expanding before our eyes. Rose isn't even playing at his best, and is conserving himself to protect himself from himself, for now, clearly,

Gasol is still learning the defense and building team chemistry (as is Mirotic, Brooks, Moore) and until recently Noah was playing his way into shape.

I wish the playoffs started today because nobody in the east is ready for us, though Washington and Atlanta are capable of giving us trouble.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Butler played so well tonight this conversation practically has to shift to comparing him to #23 now. hahahaha.

Those pump fakes in the lane, Jeesus, just wanted to come here and say I haven't seen such intense pump faking body control since the aformentioned retired...that was freaking beautiful. And he made the shots for the and 1. I digress, never seen Thompson do that at that level, thats for sure. Butler's game is expanding before our eyes. Rose isn't even playing at his best, and is conserving himself to protect himself from himself, for now, clearly,

Gasol is still learning the defense and building team chemistry (as is Mirotic, Brooks, Moore) and until recently Noah was playing his way into shape.

I wish the playoffs started today because nobody in the east is ready for us, though Washington and Atlanta are capable of giving us trouble.

Similar to Wade's style offensively, not as productive as him.

Better defender though.

Butler emerging, Rose's adjustment to life after knee surgery and a rejuvenated Gasol is giving me a lot of hope of a Finals berth this year.

Liked Posts:
Yeah, Thompson's a better outside shooter but beyond that, Butler is well better. Like I said earlier, you can say Thompson's stretches the defense but that's easily offset by Butler causing opponents to accumulate fouls. I think people saying Thompson are swayed by some form of cache, whether it's the nickname (Splash Brothers), that Thompson has been doing it on offense longer, or whatever. I'll take the higher shooting % + the free throws over the 3s. BTW, If you exclude 3 point shooting, Butlers FG% is 52.6% while Thompson's is 46.5.

And Butlers style of play is like 23s.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, Thompson's a better outside shooter but beyond that, Butler is well better. Like I said earlier, you can say Thompson's stretches the defense but that's easily offset by Butler causing opponents to accumulate fouls. I think people saying Thompson are swayed by some form of cache, whether it's the nickname (Splash Brothers), that Thompson has been doing it on offense longer, or whatever. I'll take the higher shooting % + the free throws over the 3s. BTW, If you exclude 3 point shooting, Butlers FG% is 52.6% while Thompson's is 46.5.

And Butlers style of play is like 23s.

For me it was actually the way Thompson dominated FIBA and was one of the big stars for team U.S.A. along with Irving, Faried, Davis, Curry, and Harden. I was impressed with where his game is. He is also an interesting case, because he would be the best 3 point shooter on about 25 teams, but is still young. He plays with Curry and so the volume of 3's they shoot is insane, the difficulty of the shots is insane. I live on west coast time and see them a bit more perhaps. Thompson should have been traded for 2-3 years ago when Golden State was even considering it. I forget who was on the table and who we wouldn't part with, but the price wasn't crazy. It might have been Mirotic though and the front office wisely stuck with Jimmy. 12 million seems silly now. I'm surprised we even had 10 million to offer, don't understand the cap at all. This better have a happy ending.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
jimmy-butler-bad-shirt.jpg

M.V.P.