Is Price worth it?

Chris J

Chris Jelinek
Liked Posts:
Obviously David Price is one of the top lefties in the game and should be for a long time. If the Rays decide to trade him, is it worth for the Cubs to unload their farms system to get him?

They would have to give a huge package of Baez/Soler/Almora (1 maybe 2 of those), Pierce Johnson, Szczur, and Vogelbach. Whatever the combo of players, it will probably be about 4 of our top 10 prospects.

I just dont know if the Cubs should do this. Its not like they are one starting pitcher away from contending for a tittle. They are a ton of pieces away. Dont know if the move makes the most sense for the Cubs are their current state.

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
Obviously David Price is one of the top lefties in the game and should be for a long time. If the Rays decide to trade him, is it worth for the Cubs to unload their farms system to get him?

They would have to give a huge package of Baez/Soler/Almora (1 maybe 2 of those), Pierce Johnson, Szczur, and Vogelbach. Whatever the combo of players, it will probably be about 4 of our top 10 prospects.

I just dont know if the Cubs should do this. Its not like they are one starting pitcher away from contending for a tittle. They are a ton of pieces away. Dont know if the move makes the most sense for the Cubs are their current state.

It really depends on what the price would be.

You have two prospects who are blocked in Baez and Vogelchunk that imo, would have a hard time playing a different position, in Voggies case he is nothing but a first baseman while I could see Baez playing the outfield, he isn't a third and is much better as a SS. If you can build a trade around them you have to and not look back for a top of the rotation guy.

Creme

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think you also have to look at this situation independently. Elite talents (albeit a pitcher who could get hurt easily despite no major injury history, see: Matt Garza--not elite, just good) don't come along very often and the team has to do their due diligence to explore those options. You can always try to add pieces around Price after acquisition. But that really depends on who's available in trade and free agency (foreign and domestic). Won't know until they try, I guess.

At the same time, I'm pretty sure the Cubs get outcompeted by some other team with a healthier farm anyway.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The questing in general? Yes it is worth it.

Are the Cubs in the situation currently to make this deal? No

This team needs to address it's lacking in run production before addressing a ace.

So if I was to take Baez, Vogelbach, Johnson and another top 10 I would want Stanton over Price at this moment. This is because the Cubs are bottom 5 in run production and top half in Runs allowed.

Now if the O was middle of the pack then yes I would want Price over Stanton.

This has more to do with team needs.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
And really would Price want to be with the Cubs long term? Almost certainly no. They have no advantage over better teams with better finances

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
And really would Price want to be with the Cubs long term? Almost certainly no. They have no advantage over better teams with better finances

The Cubs and Rangers are the favorites because they will have the financial backing to sign him. Price already said he will not play for a team with a facial hair rule so that takes the Yanks out of contention.

Also, Martini, how do you know Baez can not play third? He has a strong arm and quick feet. His knock at short is he doesnt have great range and makes Castro errors. Baez has all the tools to play third and probably will outgrow short size wise before it is done. I will almost bank Baez will see time at third eventually. He already played a couple of game there in the AFL.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
The facial hair rule is a non-factor with enough 0's at the end of that paycheck. Wouldn't count anyone out.

He seemed pretty serious about it, but I agree. Enough money can change anyone, but the Yanks seem to cutting down on the spending. That ARod contract is hurting them badly. Yes, even the Yankees can be hurt by a contract. Anyone who complains about Soriano should just look at ARod and say thank you Lord. haha

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yankees may have relaxed their stance on cutting payroll since they may not be getting as much revenue sharing funds back as they previously thought. That changes things, as in now they can probably afford to extend Cano without blinking, and they might even think about making a run for other elite guys in trade or $.

KBIB

Liked Posts:
The Cubs and Rangers are the favorites because they will have the financial backing to sign him. Price already said he will not play for a team with a facial hair rule so that takes the Yanks out of contention.

Also, Martini, how do you know Baez can not play third? He has a strong arm and quick feet. His knock at short is he doesnt have great range and makes Castro errors. Baez has all the tools to play third and probably will outgrow short size wise before it is done. I will almost bank Baez will see time at third eventually. He already played a couple of game there in the AFL.
And has looked horrible while playing it. From a site;

JAVIER BAEZ: Played 3B for the first time in his pro career, and he looked terrible. Without even discussing the body language (sullen and disengaged), there were three balls hit to him in the game, and he misplayed all three to one extent or another. The first was a ground ball that went through his legs for an error, the second was a bouncer where he ranged a couple of steps to his left and let the ball bound off his glove for another error (he should of let the shortstop make the play), and the third was a hard hit grounder to his right where he made a nice backhanded stop, before throwing a lame one-hopper to 2nd base for a FC on what should have been an inning-ending 5-4-3 DP (2B Jiovanni Mier saved Baez a third error by making a nice saving catch on the one-hop throw). Throughout the game Baez kept looking at Solar Sox SS Jonathan Schoop (who made a costly error himself in the top of the 1st inning), as if to say “How about we change places?” I don't think Baez wants any part of 3rd base. Offensively, Baez went 0-5 with three strikeouts in his final three AB (first two swinging on pitches up in the strike zone, and then looking on a 3-2 pitch right down Broadway in his final PA). The first two times up he grounded out sharply to short and lined out (an absolute rocket) to LF.

Baez grades better as a SS. His defense isn't as bad there and even Theo has stated he is a SS. If anybody is moving, its Castro.

Creme

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
He played in like 3 games there. You are very much jumping the gun on this one. If Baez wants to play in the majors, he will play where ever the Cubs tell him. Third base is a huge problem on this team. It would be the quickest way for him to make it to the majors. Castro isnt moving for at least the next 2 years if ever so I dont know why everyone think Castro is going to move for Baez. Baez has 12 errors at shorts already at Dayton. 12!!!!!! People are bitching about Castro having 5! 12!!!!!!!!! Also, Baez does not have the range of Castro. He makes up for his range with good instincts. He also is going to grow still. He is going to get to big for short. So, third or OF is most likely where he will go and the Cubs are pretty deep in the OF in the minors. Im a betting man and I would place my bet that Baez is at third before its all done.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
It'd be kinda cool if Castro stayed at 2B, Baez shows that he can stick at 3B, and someone like Logan Watkins played 2B.

Or Cano. Get this rehab deal done so they can throw a truckload of money at Cano :lol:

KBIB

Liked Posts:
He played in like 3 games there. You are very much jumping the gun on this one.
Ok. So put a guy with three games of experience on his resume and anoint him the third baseman of the future?(scratches head)
If Baez wants to play in the majors, he will play where ever the Cubs tell him.
Theo says he a SS.
Third base is a huge problem on this team.
Pitching is a far worse problem and I don't think putting Baez on the mound is a decent option, either.
It would be the quickest way for him to make it to the majors.
There is no "quick" way to the majors any more under this regime and having to learn a new position surely would speed up the process, amirite?
Castro isnt moving for at least the next 2 years if ever so I dont know why everyone think Castro is going to move for Baez. Baez has 12 errors at shorts already at Dayton. 12!!!!!! People are bitching about Castro having 5! 12!!!!!!!!! Also, Baez does not have the range of Castro. He makes up for his range with good instincts. He also is going to grow still. He is going to get to big for short. So, third or OF is most likely where he will go and the Cubs are pretty deep in the OF in the minors. Im a betting man and I would place my bet that Baez is at third before its all done.

Was A-Rod too big for SS?
Derek Jeter?
Cal Ripken?

All of those guys are bigger then Baez. What in gods name does too big for SS mean?

Creme

KBIB

Liked Posts:
It'd be kinda cool if Castro stayed at 2B, Baez shows that he can stick at 3B, and someone like Logan Watkins played 2B.

Or Cano. Get this rehab deal done so they can throw a truckload of money at Cano :lol:

We got 2B covered completely then. couldn't hurt.

Creme

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think you let a guy stay at SS as long as possible until he proves to you that he can't do it anymore. Generally if you have three equally capable defensive SS, you keep the weakest bat at SS, the second weakest at 2B, and the strongest at 3B. That's just my opinion though. I don't think they're going to move Castro off SS for a while, not until Baez shows he can take a walk.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Re: too big for SS, I don't think it matters as long as the guy can actually field the ball.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ok. So put a guy with three games of experience on his resume and anoint him the third baseman of the future?(scratches head)

Theo says he a SS.

Pitching is a far worse problem and I don't think putting Baez on the mound is a decent option, either.

There is no "quick" way to the majors any more under this regime and having to learn a new position surely would speed up the process, amirite?

Was A-Rod too big for SS?
Derek Jeter?
Cal Ripken?

All of those guys are bigger then Baez. What in gods name does too big for SS mean?

Creme

Well, this is what I mean to big for short. He already has limited range at his size now. When he gets bigger, he will lose quickness. Its a natural progression. So, Say he gains another 20 pounds with already mediocre range. Do you think the range is going to get better? 9 times out 10 it will get worse. Im sorry you did not get that point when I talked about getting to big. You also just compared him to hall of famers. ARod was moved off short. Jeter is completely over rated as a defensive shortstop and Ripken was an exception. You also are still ignoring the fact that he has committed 12 errors already.

I didnt anoint him anything. I didnt even say he will be a successful major leaguer. I said if I was a betting man. I would bet he would wind up at third. I mean almost every scout I ever read has said the same thing. You should email them and tell them they are wrong as well.

Also, Pitching is the biggest problem? Really? The Cubs are 7th in the NL in ERA with how horrible the bullpen has been. They are 3rd to last in BA and 2nd to last in walks. They are dead last with RISP with a .165 AVG. Tell me again how pitching is the biggest problem.

O yea, I forgot Theo thinks you need 500 AB's in AAA before you get to the majors. Well, guess what if Baez finishes this year in AA. He could get those at bats by next year and what position would be the biggest position of need for 2015. O yea, third base.

RiceCub, you are correct. Teams leave players at there position until they absolutely have to move them. Happens all the time. If you can play short, you can play almost any position.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
3rd to last in BA in the NL and 2nd to last in walks in NL. The RISP is for entire league.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
The Cubs don't have the minor league infrastructure necessary to land Price in a deal without completely negating all the work they've done over the past two seasons to start fleshing out the farm system. To be completely honest, if the Cubs did want to make a risky trade involving top prospects, it had better be for an elite third baseman or catcher. Other than that, ride out this season, hope to add some more value in potential Marmol/Garza/Soriano trades towards the deadline, and start adding "valuable" free agents this offseason.

AmericanFlyer1

Liked Posts:

Yes, they are a ton of pieces away from actually competing. But, the question is, unless these pieces are addressed and added with Major League talent, then these pieces will always be lacking and we will never compete.

If the guy is an ace then a team without one could certainly use one.

Seeing that the odds of anyone we think of value in the minor leagues won't pan out in the majors, we could finally get some value for what we have down there. If not, the odds are they will just fizzle out and fade away. The real question is, do we roll the dice and take a chance that at least one player will pan out or do we trade them for known talent?