Is the Lovie Decision already made?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I was listening to the Waddle and Silvy podcast from Dec 24th.

Silvy said that someone he trusts when it comes to Bears information said that the decision on Lovie has, or was, made a while ago and winning against the Lions or winning a playoff game would not change the decision.

He did not say what the decision was.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I would think Lovie is safe despite my desires, but my first hope is that the Bears win Sunday and win 4 playoff games.

wklink

CBMB refugee
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Seattle Sounders FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Personally I don't think the final decision has been made but I think the leash is probably getting pretty short.

Lets see how much this team really wants to play for him. Everyone talks about how he really can get his players to put out the maximum for him. Well, it is time to find out. His job should be on the line if for no other reason that he has created this team and it is a reflection of his personal and professional beliefs. Mediocre doesn't cut it anymore. I understand that making the playoffs may not be a realistic goal every single year maybe but once every 3-4 years isn't an indication of excellence either.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:

Silvy said that someone he trusts when it comes to Bears information said that the decision on Lovie has, or was, made a while ago and winning against the Lions or winning a playoff game would not change the decision.

If this is true, then music to my ears. Whatever the decision is, it has the potential to be decisive then.

malcore

If true, my bet for time frame of this purported decision would be after the Vikings loss.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It is at the end of the 2nd hour before Cutler comes on and is in response to a question by Don Wilbon, Mikes Brother.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:

"Decision already made"... doesn't mean a thing. They didn't sign anything, they can 'change their minds'. How many coaches have been fired with 1yr left on their contract after winning the Superbowl? Zero. Does that mean they decided to keep Lovie through 2013 no matter what? No, it just means it's a little less ridiculous. The NFL has no 'no matter whats'.

mecha

Liked Posts:
"Decision already made"... doesn't mean a thing. They didn't sign anything, they can 'change their minds'. How many coaches have been fired with 1yr left on their contract after winning the Superbowl? Zero. Does that mean they decided to keep Lovie through 2013 no matter what? No, it just means it's a little less ridiculous. The NFL has no 'no matter whats'.

maybe it's late and not the proper time to challenge logic, but what you're saying, wouldn't that imply that Lovie's team DID win the Super Bowl to owe to his job security?

I feel like there's too many other little variables that go along with Lovie that need to change, and the only way we'll see it is if he does go. which sucks. I like Lovie Smith, but I've been complaining about them being unprepared for games for way too many seasons now. I'm fucking sick of Daryl Drake, and I'm sick of them having inconsistency and absolute shit at the OC position. I think before anyone demands any huge expectations from the offense, all changes to personnel aside, you should have a great system and give it time. note: great system.. I'm not willing to give Tice more time. of course, all of this is not up to me. I'm just a voice amongst the few at CCS saying roughly the same thing lol

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
First step is obviously getting rid of Lovie, however that's only part of the battle. The next step would be to find a competent replacement. I don't want to see something like at OC where we go from Martz to Tice. I would love to see us go offensive at HC and make an effort to retain Marinelli, Toub, and Bates.

rob923

Liked Posts:
I'm betting the decision has been made to keep Lovie for one more year -- a lame-duck season. I can't wait to see what he does next year...

SUPERFAN

YUUUGE member
Liked Posts:
Maybe theyll just shift things around, seems to be the Bears way.
Dave Toub head coach,
Lovie and Rod D coordinators,
Bates O coordinator
Tice waterboy

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I hope Lovie stays for another 3-4 years .... Just for the drama if nothing else :D

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
Unnamed sources mean nothing to me, rumors are rumors, and we won't know until we know. That said, ifthe decision really has been made, then I think he's staying. Emery has to protect his job, too, and firing a coach who went 10-6 or 9-7 and is due $5milllion whether he stays or goes is likely to get vetoed by ownership.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Mods - Please make a new section and call it "Bear Fan Drama" for threads just like this one.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
I hope Lovie stays, but I honeslty don't know. Reports have been conflicting ... some say he will be fire, others say he'll stay.

Rgrigutis

Liked Posts:
I think the decisions been made to keep him next year w/tice as coordinator again. All out offseason effort to resurrect o line and te. If o isn't better next year they blow up the coaching staff. Personally I'd like to explode it now w/toub as hc, Rivera as dc, and norm turner as oc. I know it's far fetched but hey a guy can dream

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think the decisions been made to keep him next year w/tice as coordinator again. All out offseason effort to resurrect o line and te. If o isn't better next year they blow up the coaching staff. Personally I'd like to explode it now w/toub as hc, Rivera as dc, and norm turner as oc. I know it's far fetched but hey a guy can dream

Would be odd to promote Toub to head coach as Bears just had their worst special teams year that I can remember in my life.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

It sounded like he was saying that Lovie was going to be gone no matter what.

The decision that was made a while ago was that Lovie was going to be gone because the question was about can you keep Lovie if he wins the next game.