Is the Lovie Decision already made?

Exile

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Virginia won't allow him to be fired, he plays out the contract.

Rodneyr38

Liked Posts:
Unnamed sources mean nothing to me, rumors are rumors, and we won't know until we know. That said, ifthe decision really has been made, then I think he's staying. Emery has to protect his job, too, and firing a coach who went 10-6 or 9-7 and is due $5milllion whether he stays or goes is likely to get vetoed by ownership.
The same coach who has made the playoffs once in the last 5 years? The same coach who is on a 6 game losing streak to your rival? The same coach who has been trotting the nfls worst oline out there since 07? Its time for a change!!!

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
The same coach who has made the playoffs once in the last 5 years? The same coach who is on a 6 game losing streak to your rival? The same coach who has been trotting the nfls worst oline out there since 07? Its time for a change!!!

QFS

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
not saying this is true, but if it was, then logically it means they have decided to keep lovie...because you can't tell me they'll fire him if the bears, say, win two play-off games...he's going to finish at least 9-7...if they've decided to keep him, nothing that happens sunday will change that, where as a deep play-off run would definitely make it very unlikely lovie would be fired...

cbo0485

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
IMO they've already decided to fire him. 7-1 to 8-6, when injuries weren't the reason, all falls to the head coach. The only thing IMO that could save him, is making it to the NFC Championship game, and hopefully winning. Even if we somehow make it to the NFC Championship game, I still think he's gone.

Not sure about the front office, but I believe unless we make it to the super bowl, Lovie should be fired. I like the guy, he's a players coach, he seems like a good coach, but in reality, outside of 2 seasons, he hasn't done much winning around here. His number one priority when getting hired, was beating the Packers. Last time we beat the Packers, 2010, before that, 2008. So in the last 5 years(2008-2012), we are 2-9. His number one priority is not getting fulfilled, not to mention his 2nd priority, winning the NFC North. We've only done that once in the last 6 years.

Justin Heras

Liked Posts:
With all the teams needing HC's next year, it's very possible Lovie doesn't get fired. That being said to keep Lovie means Emery will have to invest in Lovie's defense and I'm not so sure that's something he would want to do. I think Lovie is gone regardless of whether or not we make the play off's. I think the only way he stays is if go to the SB.

cobbland

Liked Posts:
My sources at ESPN 1000 tell me that: the decision to replace Silvy with a more knowledgeable and less homoerotic co-host, has already been made.

Chicago Da Team

Elite Member!
Donator
Liked Posts:
I hope they don't try and shove the coaching staff down Emery's throat for another year! I think the stipulation was to keep lovie for this year and he can bring in his own next year. Why should he be forced to keep a coaching staff that JA brought in? Emery should be able to bring in his own coaching staff like every other GM gets an opportunity to do!

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Would be odd to promote Toub to head coach as Bears just had their worst special teams year that I can remember in my life.

Maybe Toub has been studying how to be an HC all year. Focus, focus, focus.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Maybe Toub has been studying how to be an HC all year. Focus, focus, focus.

Riveraitis?

It's gotta be the only reason the ST play has been horrible this year

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
maybe it's late and not the proper time to challenge logic, but what you're saying, wouldn't that imply that Lovie's team DID win the Super Bowl to owe to his job security?

I feel like there's too many other little variables that go along with Lovie that need to change, and the only way we'll see it is if he does go. which sucks. I like Lovie Smith, but I've been complaining about them being unprepared for games for way too many seasons now. I'm fucking sick of Daryl Drake, and I'm sick of them having inconsistency and absolute shit at the OC position. I think before anyone demands any huge expectations from the offense, all changes to personnel aside, you should have a great system and give it time. note: great system.. I'm not willing to give Tice more time. of course, all of this is not up to me. I'm just a voice amongst the few at CCS saying roughly the same thing lol

Don't sweat it, I welcome any comments to my post content, especially logic. You're asking, "maybe it's late and not the proper time to challenge logic, but what you're saying, wouldn't that imply that Lovie's team DID win the Super Bowl to owe to his job security?". I'm not exactly sure what you're asking there; but if you're asking if winning the Superbowl would be very advantageous to Lovie living out his contract through 2013... then I would say, yes, most definitely. If the owners (supposedly *laugh*) decided Lovie would be fired no matter what, if Lovie won the SB and wanted to stay one more year, it's illogical they would not refuse.

But actually, if Lovie won the SB, and he knows the owners have decided to never extend his contract past 2013, then Lovie would LOVE to be fired now, being he would surely land a lucrative multi-year contract with another team.

But my point was: the whole 'decisions been made' is meaningless. It's not over till it's over.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Riveraitis?

It's gotta be the only reason the ST play has been horrible this year

LOL! That's funny.

But did you really think Rivera's Defense got bad in 2006, or near the end of that year? I could be remembering wrong, but I think the 05 Bears were better in yards than 06, but 06 had a slue of takeaways. But I think the 06 played well all year and into the SB.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
It sounded like he was saying that Lovie was going to be gone no matter what.

The decision that was made a while ago was that Lovie was going to be gone because the question was about can you keep Lovie if he wins the next game.

I didn't hear the Silvy show, so I don't know what he was indicating. I'll trust you for that. I don't have any trouble believing the Bears decided, tentatively, that they are going to fire Lovie after this year. It makes sense they've decided to go another direction, new GM (done) and new HC, to establish a consistent championship team. But of course if Lovie wins the championship, and they have Smith in contract for one more year, don't you think they'd maybe just change the OC?

Tampabear

Liked Posts:
I don't think Lovie is going anywhere until after next season. I have been i his corner for a long time and am ready for change, but I don't see it yet.

beardown28

That's What She Said
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Lovie does somehow get fired don't be surprised to see the Bears take Norv Turner as their head coach. Mainly because I think Virginia wants to piss everyone off

Jack Lame

Liked Posts:
Lovie will coach out current contract.

I think that's the least likely scenario. The last example of a lame duck coach was the Panthers under John Fox in 2010. It was a disaster. A lame duck coach creates a toxic environment, so the Bears either have to fire Lovie, or give him some type of extension.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
There is a 100% chance Lovie Smith will get fired on Monday.

It will happen at 11AM and you will hear it break on ESPN1000AM and 670AM The Score at the same time.