Is Wide Receiver the Bears No. 1 Weakness?

napo55

Liked Posts:
Dude, you start building in the trenches - that is Football 101. Everything else is a non-starter until you get your QB, O-Line, and D-Line set.

Dude,

They spent their two of their three top draft choices on OTs this year. When was the last time they drafted a WR in the first round--and how did that go? If Fields has no open redceivers, he is more likely to be sacked. Plus, the Bears have the worst passing attack in the NFL.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Dude,

They spent their two of their three top draft choices on OTs this year. When was the last time they drafted a WR in the first round--and how did that go? If Fields has no open redceivers, he is more likely to be sacked. Plus, the Bears have the worst passing attack in the NFL.

They have the worst passing attack because they GOT NO PROTECTION.

No one is arguing that the Bears should eventually get an elite WR - but you build in the trenches FIRST. Yes, they got one and maybe 2 tackles of the future in the last draft. Know what they DON'T have? A center. 2 mean ass guards that blow people off the ball routinely. Last I checked, offensive line held FIVE positions, NOT TWO.

You got your QB - you first PROTECT HIM. THEN you start bringing in all the toys. And its not like there is an absolute dearth of talent here. You have Mooney. You have Kmet. You have 2 damn good RBs who can also catch out of the backfield. You are correct that there is nothing elite there, but you have ENOUGH to get you through a season while you get the offensive line FIXED.

The Bears aren't going to compete in 2022 anyway - why are you so hung up on getting an explosive WR NOW?

It's not for the Bears' sake. No. You see the QB as a new toy and you want another new toy to have your fun. Well, I want the Bears to win SUPERBOWLS. And THAT starts in the trenches, as ANY GM will tell you.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
The argument over OL or WR is honestly really stupid. They are both glaring weaknesses and should both be addressed this offseason. They may not be completely overhauled by next year, but the process should be started at both positions

Milky

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Obviously Nagy needs to go. That’s numero uno on any Bears to do list but after that it gets murky.

The other part of the question is contingent on Tevin Jenkins. Can he play and can he stay healthy. If no you have to fix OT first and you can’t rely on Peters next season or really the rest of this one. We are lucky he’s playing as well as he has been and staying healthy long enough to get Borom and possibly Jenkins back. Center is a need but Mustipher is here and he’s not 100% dog shit ala Simmons at OT. It is certainly a need but one you can push down the line a little.

WR is a huge glaring hole going into next season. Fields needs reliable targets. Mooney is reliable. Everyone else under contract next year… not so much. Do we need a legit Devante Adams type of #1? Probably not but it would be nice. I’d try and re-sign ARob first and then maybe start looking at the Gallup/Chark class of receivers and also try and find an actual reliable slot receiver.

Next year they should eat all the shit contracts they can while improving the OL and WR group. Let the D go to shit if need be with an eye toward 2023 when they will have a full selection of picks and ample cap space. Try to add a true #1 WR then and retool the D to at least respectable.

UK_STALEY

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Arob is partially to blame for that. When you drop sure a TD pass from said rookie QB, your looks are going to be less.

Seems like Mooney is more vested, and Robinson is looking for a paycheck
Yet that hasn’t been the case for Mooney and Kmet who’ve both had some shocking drops. Their targets seem to have increased if anything recently

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Yet that hasn’t been the case for Mooney and Kmet who’ve both had some shocking drops. Their targets seem to have increased if anything recently
Huh?

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
You claimed that the drop by ARob meant he’d get less looks, why wouldn’t that apply to other pass catchers?
salary/vet leadership

UK_STALEY

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You're debating a different topic.
I don’t think I am!

“ When you drop sure a TD pass from said rookie QB, your looks are going to be less.”

If your statement was true then Fields wouldn’t be looking for any of the pass catchers

vinson555

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Ol;ine situation is a lot better than it use to be. For a while now everyone has been talking about how awful the Oline as a unit was, We had no Tackles and really know Center. Now it's just we need a better Center, people are looking for the next weakness of the Bears... which is still secondary.

When you have all the speed you have in this group or WR's and Robinson and Kmet are likely the best 8-12 yard possession guys for their size. I feel like that is where the fail lies in that we are getting all this speed, and the coaching doesn't use them right.

EDPeezy

Liked Posts:
I don’t think I am!

“ When you drop sure a TD pass from said rookie QB, your looks are going to be less.”

If your statement was true then Fields wouldn’t be looking for any of the pass catchers

Do you really think Fields s is making a conscious effort to not give A-Rob the ball because he dropped a pass?

You realize that’s just nonsense idiots around here say? Or is used as a joke. For whatever reason they just dont have or haven’t developed chemistry yet.

Do you think Fields is in the pocket searching for open receivers sees A-Rob and is like “he dropped that TD, screw him. He’s not getting the ball.” And then he moves onto his next receiver? Is that how it works in your head. Lol.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
I don’t think I am!

Actually you are, nice strawman though

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
The Ol;ine situation is a lot better than it use to be. For a while now everyone has been talking about how awful the Oline as a unit was, We had no Tackles and really know Center. Now it's just we need a better Center, people are looking for the next weakness of the Bears... which is still secondary.

When you have all the speed you have in this group or WR's and Robinson and Kmet are likely the best 8-12 yard possession guys for their size. I feel like that is where the fail lies in that we are getting all this speed, and the coaching doesn't use them right.
We'll see how the Oline "gels" in the last half of the season. One thing is for certain, we have no depth in that position

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:

The only wr under contract next year is Mooney. WR is absolutely a glaring need.