IST: Chicago Cubs (38-48) at Cincinnati Reds (45-42)

How many games do the Cubs win?

• 5...This is the year

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4...They will rebound after the trade

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3...Meh Reds are without Votto

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • 2...Cubs are ready to pack it in

• 1...How could the Cubs trade Shark

• 0...Cubs are worse than 03 Tigers now

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Rizzo bomb followed by olt torpedo

Olt shows patience getting 2 walks and gets one he can handle

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Pitcher must suck

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
We need to get Riz in on the HR derby as well as the all star game. He has man power! Him and Stanton could win it for the NL alone haha

TL1961

Liked Posts:
We need to get Riz in on the HR derby as well as the all star game. He has man power! Him and Stanton could win it for the NL alone haha

HR derby screws up a player's swing.

No to Rizzo being part.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Just a thought on Lake...

Wondering if he pressing now with coghlin and Ruggiano hitting and playing more and the possibility of Alcantara coming up and playing some CF
Could be looking at a demotion

theberserkfury

Liked Posts:

No to Rizzo being part.

I've heard this a couple times recently... anyone have evidence to support this? Not that I think it's impossible... just wondering if anyone's looked at the numbers.

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:

No to Rizzo being part.

I don't really buy that myth.. How can one night of extended BP really throw off a guys rhythm he has been working on for years? Doesn't make much sense. I think it's just in dudes' heads.

theberserkfury

Liked Posts:
I don't really buy that myth.. How can one night of extended BP really throw off a guys rhythm he has been working on for years? Doesn't make much sense. I think it's just in dudes' heads.

Bryant seems to have responded just fine after winning his derby...

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

Probably more of a madden curse type thing or the rule of 270 for RBs. Likely a lot of the guys who end up in the HR derby are perhaps having abnormally good years and when they slump in the 2nd half people blame the HR derby rather than a normal regression to the mean. Ken Griffey won a bunch of HR derby's and it really didn't change him. There are cases of players who were in it having bad years but like the madden curse I think it's more a case of other circumstances.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
They change the the plane of their swing for the HR Derby. Some people get it back more quickly than others.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I've heard this a couple times recently... anyone have evidence to support this? Not that I think it's impossible... just wondering if anyone's looked at the numbers.
There has been some players over the years that were not your typical big HR hitters who struggled a bit after going a couple rounds in the derby because of a few reasons...

1. Adjusted swings to hit HRs

2. Stayed with that type of swing because they had some success in derby with it

3. Some guys actually said they were still fatigued from all the swinging they did.. tired arms, legs

Most hitters find their groove again after a while though

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
So... perhaps Wada is the next in line of cubs out of no-where pitchers? In AAA this year he had 9.30 k/9 and 2.30 bb/9 with 2.66/3.66 ERA/FIP. That got a bit of a meh response given he's 33. But, today's been nice.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I know they wanba get him qualified for win but unless he gets a DP ball need to think sbout pulling him if he gives up another base runner or two

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Castillo looks better n better with those pick offs at first
Now if he can improve a bit with throwing them out at 2B

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I can't tell you about individual players, but this is an example of how the Derby swing works...

[video=youtube;y9CEuJ5e2cM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9CEuJ5e2cM[/video]

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Castillo looks better n better with those pick offs at first
Now if he can improve a bit with throwing them out at 2B

Our pitchers are God awful at keeping runners close.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Castro with two nice plays to stop the bleeding. I would venture to guess 2 years ago he would have never made both plays. Maybe 1 of them, but not both.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cant disagree there....

I sometimes wonder if that is a philosophy of Bosio. We have had from extremely slow pitchers to home the last couple of years. I wonder if they tell them not to break mechanics just to get it there a touch faster.

As for Billy Hamilton, the only way you catch that fucking dude is a chest high fastball and hope he didnt get a great jump. You throw any kind of breaking pitch. He is going to steal second easily.