IST: Chicago Cubs (38-48) at Cincinnati Reds (45-42)

How many games do the Cubs win?

• 5...This is the year

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4...They will rebound after the trade

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3...Meh Reds are without Votto

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • 2...Cubs are ready to pack it in

• 1...How could the Cubs trade Shark

• 0...Cubs are worse than 03 Tigers now

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I sometimes wonder if that is a philosophy of Bosio. We have had from extremely slow pitchers to home the last couple of years. I wonder if they tell them not to break mechanics just to get it there a touch faster.

As for Billy Hamilton, the only way you catch that fucking dude is a chest high fastball and hope he didnt get a great jump. You throw any kind of breaking pitch. He is going to steal second easily.

If that's their approach I kind of approve. I feel like one of the things that gets lost in the metric talk about SB and their value is the psychological factor. Often times having a big SB threat on base will cause pitchers to lose focus on the actual goal.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Shame the bullpen lost the decision for Wada. Its some what surprising to me they only let him go 5 innings though I'm only watching the box score on espn as I don't get the game on tv. Still he only threw 87 pitches when it seems they tend to pull guys around 100. Hammel would have made comments to the media after that sort of start.

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
Our blowpen blooooooooooows!

chibears55

Liked Posts:
If that's their approach I kind of approve. I feel like one of the things that gets lost in the metric talk about SB and their value is the psychological factor. Often times having a big SB threat on base will cause pitchers to lose focus on the actual goal.
Best way to keep mechanics and stay focus is just change timing of deliveries...

Hold ball a bit longer, shorter, before each pitch
I think that what Maddux use to do to keep the runner timing off from getting a good jump

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Shame the bullpen lost the decision for Wada. Its some what surprising to me they only let him go 5 innings though I'm only watching the box score on espn as I don't get the game on tv. Still he only threw 87 pitches when it seems they tend to pull guys around 100. Hammel would have made comments to the media after that sort of start.
He was gassed in that 5th inning, lucky to have gotten out of it

Yea not only did Villanueva and strop not hold lead, the offense fell asleep again...

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Cubs choke away a 5-0 lead :clap:

This is so much fun.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
BTW 0-5 since the trade.

Progress! :X :X :X :X :X

theberserkfury

Liked Posts:
Yeah... didn't feel there was any chance of pushing it into extra innings when Rondon came out... closers in non-save situations, man.

Actually, does anyone know if there's any data to support that being a bad strategy?

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Cubs are going to free fall badly. We are easily going to be a top 3 pick again.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
The Cubs are going to free fall badly. We are easily going to be a top 3 pick again.

I think it's a bit early to make that assumption. The first game after the trade that were sort of screwed as it was a Shark start and they didn't have a lot of time to get anyone ready which lead to Villanueva who arguably shouldn't be on the MLB team even as a reliever getting the start. That in turn lead to an obvious loss. Next game out Arrieta goes out and does his thing but they didn't score like the cubs previous to the trade often would do. Yesterday, Jackson went out and did Jackson-y things. Today Wood went out and did Wood-y things of late and Wada threw a pretty nice game but the bullpen blew up.

If we look at the players who've made spot starts for the cubs, Beeler and Wada both have been decent. We've yet to see Hendricks and he could be good. It's entirely plausible that they might not have that much of a drop off from Shark/Hammel to whomever they replace them with especially when you consider Shark was 2-7 or whatever. The real crux of the issue is if they will finally call up Alcantara or not. If you call up Alcantara in the next few weeks, that's potentially a pretty big addition to the line up allowing Valbuena to start at 3B daily. I also don't get why Coghlan and Ruggiano aren't starting daily. Maybe they are trying laughably to build up any value Barney and Schierholtz might have. Also, getting Bonifacio back would be a plus.

You're also underestimating other teams ability to suck. The DBacks have been terrible pitching all year and they are starting to deal pieces. Colorado, Houston, Philly, Texas, Minnesota, Boston, and tampa all still could sell off pieces and get worse. The cubs have a better run differential than all of those teams. Don't get me wrong the 2nd half will be ugly but I'm not sure it's going to be the ugliest girl at the party.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
Hopefully we can call up a few guys before the season is over to create some excitement