IST: Cubs at Dbacks

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Maples got some dirty stuff, he can control it he gonna be nasty, especially against RHers
Chatwood has the nastiest stuff on the staff, I am not sure we can have 2. I thought Mekkes was going to be next.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Imagine seeing that from Maples after seeing Hendricks throw like 87 all game. 90 MPH slider? Good luck.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Well I was a little surprised by his call up. That said if he can keep his fastball in zone he is going to be special. If not Marmol 2.0.

As far as Hendricks goes. I read that he said that he lacked conviction in his pitches. So it really sounds like he has to be locked in to have success because he lacks the velocity to get away with not being perfect.

I really don't know if anyone can be perfect every time. The extension was not a bad one. But they did lock themselves into a guy that has college ball velocity.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Well I was a little surprised by his call up. That said if he can keep his fastball in zone he is going to be special. If not Marmol 2.0.

As far as Hendricks goes. I read that he said that he lacked conviction in his pitches. So it really sounds like he has to be locked in to have success because he lacks the velocity to get away with not being perfect.

I really don't know if anyone can be perfect every time. The extension was not a bad one. But they did lock themselves into a guy that has college ball velocity.
MAddux did not get great until he slowed it down. It is a different view than everyone cutting 95 mph fast balls.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
MAddux did not get great until he slowed it down. It is a different view than everyone cutting 95 mph fast balls.

They are not the same pitcher. Peeps need to really leave that off the table.

Maddux was a low 90 pitcher. When dropped into the 80's was when the Cubs got him again.

Add to it is trade mark was a fastball will a tail. To left he would start it on his fist and it would tail over the plate. He could do that when the hitter knew it was coming and the hitter could foul it off at best.

Greg's philosophy was use strikes to set up strikes. He would stay in the strike zone and use movement and velocity and location. He did not use a pitch out of zone to set up a pitch.

Greg was a master. His career BB/9 back that statement. You are really not respecting who is his by mixing him in with Hendricks.

Hendricks has some elements going on but he lacks the velocity and doesn't have that back door tailing fastball

chibears55

Liked Posts:
They are not the same pitcher. Peeps need to really leave that off the table.

Maddux was a low 90 pitcher. When dropped into the 80's was when the Cubs got him again.

Add to it is trade mark was a fastball will a tail. To left he would start it on his fist and it would tail over the plate. He could do that when the hitter knew it was coming and the hitter could foul it off at best.

Greg's philosophy was use strikes to set up strikes. He would stay in the strike zone and use movement and velocity and location. He did not use a pitch out of zone to set up a pitch.

Greg was a master. His career BB/9 back that statement. You are really not respecting who is his by mixing him in with Hendricks.

Hendricks has some elements going on but he lacks the velocity and doesn't have that back door tailing fastball
Maddux was getting 2-3 inches off the plate every game, no one getting that with consistency today...

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Maddux was getting 2-3 inches off the plate every game, no one getting that with consistency today...

Strike zone was wider then. Pitchers never got high strikes.

Pitchers just pitch to the ump

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Chatwood has the nastiest stuff on the staff, I am not sure we can have 2. I thought Mekkes was going to be next.

Meeks has Hendricks velocity. He comes at a weird angle and hides well. Add to it he has good extension to the plate to max his 6'7" frame.

So it is more smoke and mirrors like Hendricks vs pure stuff like Maples has.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Taylor Davis...

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Devils advocate.... what if Davis and Darvish work well together and maybe that gets Darvish going?

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Darvish's command is playing with fire but lucky to get out of it.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Davis looks like a beer league softball catcher. What a fatass.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Darvish gonna have over 100 pitches before the 5th inning at this rate....

Been lucky so far, don't think this is the breakout start Maddon was talking about

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
looks like neither pitcher has much command

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Cubs should start every inning with 2 outs..lol

Bote.. I wanna see him play regularly at 2B or 3B