IST: Cubs at Dbacks

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Weird game today, both teams has killed the starters in their career. Cubs lineup is batting well over .400 against Luke Weaver. Arizona has knocked around Quintana in 3 starts. Both have been pitching well. Lets hope our pitcher keeps that going and our offense continues to pound weave.
So, 1 nothing game then

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
So this is interesting... Schwarber is hitting .214/.353/.500 vs LHP(124 wRC+) and .226/.262/.371 vs RHP(64 wRC+). That's the flip of his historical splits. Almora is hitting .179/.233/.179(12 wRC+) vs LHP and .303/.378/.424(104 wRC+) vs RHP which is the flip of his historical splits.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
So this is interesting... Schwarber is hitting .214/.353/.500 vs LHP(124 wRC+) and .226/.262/.371 vs RHP(64 wRC+). That's the flip of his historical splits. Almora is hitting .179/.233/.179(12 wRC+) vs LHP and .303/.378/.424(104 wRC+) vs RHP which is the flip of his historical splits.

Neither will be with team next year

CSF77

Liked Posts:

It would be smart to move on from them both.

I would like to see.

Nico promoted to SS.
Baez moved to 3B.
Bryant to RF
Heyward to CF
sign Cory Dickerson for LF. Career line: .283/.326/.497
Sign Scooter Gennett for 2B

Then trade Almora, Schwarber and Russell.

2B Garnett .289/.331/.456
RF Bryant
1B Rizzo
3B Baez
CF Heyward
C Contreras
LF Dickerson .283/.326/.497
SS Nico

In this situation if Nico struggles they still can push Baez to SS and Bote to 3B to let him develop.

But with Almora, Schwarber and Russell load up with pitching talent.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
It would be smart to move on from them both.

I would like to see.

Nico promoted to SS.
Baez moved to 3B.
Bryant to RF
Heyward to CF
sign Cory Dickerson for LF. Career line: .283/.326/.497
Sign Scooter Gennett for 2B

Then trade Almora, Schwarber and Russell.

2B Garnett .289/.331/.456
RF Bryant
1B Rizzo
3B Baez
CF Heyward
C Contreras
LF Dickerson .283/.326/.497
SS Nico

In this situation if Nico struggles they still can push Baez to SS and Bote to 3B to let him develop.

But with Almora, Schwarber and Russell load up with pitching talent.
Heyward is not an everyday CFer

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I mean that's a rather silly statement. Almora is cheap. He's a decent bench piece. You're not going to find anyone to give you what he does for less and you don't wanna dump money into bench bats.

As for Schwarber, I maintain he's making changes. Obviously results aren't what you'd want but as we've seen with Heyward when stuff starts to change it's not an immediate result. His 13.2% soft contact rate is the lowest of his career. He's also going oppo 35.8% of the time vs his career rate of 24.3%. I don't see anything obviously terrible in his numbers save for the fact his walk rate is way down(7.3% vs career 13.3%). His ISO also down but I suspect what's going on there is he's selling out a bit of his power to allow him to go oppo more. In the short term that's not great but I think long term it's a change he needs.

In either case you can argue that on a championship caliber team you may not want development but I think that's a really short sighted argument for several reasons. The first is as we saw this offseason the team doesn't have unlimited money. So you're not going to just go out and buy your way out of inconsistency. And the second reason is like with Darvish and Heyward early, FA that look like improvement's aren't always the immediate fix you think they are.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Caught some of the game yesterday after getting home. Sounds like Darvish was okay?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I mean that's a rather silly statement. Almora is cheap. He's a decent bench piece. You're not going to find anyone to give you what he does for less and you don't wanna dump money into bench bats.

As for Schwarber, I maintain he's making changes. Obviously results aren't what you'd want but as we've seen with Heyward when stuff starts to change it's not an immediate result. His 13.2% soft contact rate is the lowest of his career. He's also going oppo 35.8% of the time vs his career rate of 24.3%. I don't see anything obviously terrible in his numbers save for the fact his walk rate is way down(7.3% vs career 13.3%). His ISO also down but I suspect what's going on there is he's selling out a bit of his power to allow him to go oppo more. In the short term that's not great but I think long term it's a change he needs.

In either case you can argue that on a championship caliber team you may not want development but I think that's a really short sighted argument for several reasons. The first is as we saw this offseason the team doesn't have unlimited money. So you're not going to just go out and buy your way out of inconsistency. And the second reason is like with Darvish and Heyward early, FA that look like improvement's aren't always the immediate fix you think they are.

Almora is going into arb 1. He won't be cheap for a 4th OF.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Well I was a little surprised by his call up. That said if he can keep his fastball in zone he is going to be special. If not Marmol 2.0.

As far as Hendricks goes. I read that he said that he lacked conviction in his pitches. So it really sounds like he has to be locked in to have success because he lacks the velocity to get away with not being perfect.

I really don't know if anyone can be perfect every time. The extension was not a bad one. But they did lock themselves into a guy that has college ball velocity.

His The last city was a concern when he came up but after 2015 2016 2017 and 2018 I would think at that point that people could see that his velocity has not prevented him from being very good, and the fears would be set aside.

He has been good for four years but people want to “wait and see” before extending him?

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Almora is going into arb 1. He won't be cheap for a 4th OF.
What are you even talking about? Worst case he's making $2-3 mil. That's EXTREMELY cheap for a viable CF.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
His The last city was a concern when he came up but after 2015 2016 2017 and 2018 I would think at that point that people could see that his velocity has not prevented him from being very good, and the fears would be set aside.

He has been good for four years but people want to “wait and see” before extending him?

It's the CCS Cubs Forum where players than have bad days or series go immediately to the trade block.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I'll disagree. He is talented enough to adapt to the change. Part of training and practices

He can adapt enough to play CF on occasion but youd like your everyday CFer to be a little more flexible and quick enough to cover a lot of ground..
Heyward 6'6 250-60 pounds, I mean he not slow but........

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
D5QUGtEXkAAmCCK.jpg

chibears55

Liked Posts:

Just feel Theo gonna make some changes to the everyday lineup..

LF and CF are the only two positions that hasn't had anyone taking control of the last 3 years..

This is Schwarber 3rd season since his injury year and he still trying to figure it out..
Love the guy, love what he did in WS, but...

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Just feel Theo gonna make some changes to the everyday lineup..

LF and CF are the only two positions that hasn't had anyone taking control of the last 3 years..

This is Schwarber 3rd season since his injury year and he still trying to figure it out..
Love the guy, love what he did in WS, but...
I mean I get it but I think you're being cavalier about it. Like if the situation presents itself then sure I'm sure they'd consider moving on. But just saying they are gone is pretty silly right now because we don't know the lay of the land. I mean post season we thought it was likely they'd move someone but they didn't and that was far more clear than anything is right now.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
A pretty incredible thing happened with the Cubs lineup today. Joe Maddon determines who's playing in each series before it begins and tells the players ahead of time. David Bote was not supposed to be playing today but after hitting 2 long home runs on Saturday, the player who was supposed to play — very likely its Ben Zobrist — went to Maddon, along with other vets, and said Bote should be in there. He's batting fifth and Zobrist is sitting.

i

Jesse Rogers, ESPN Staff Writer

chibears55

Liked Posts:
That the way it should be...
Should always ride the hot bat

Shame it took a player to remind the manager of that