IST: Cubs @ Padres

CSF77

Liked Posts:
If they removed the WC all together and went 4 champs per league. That might work then

TL1961

Liked Posts:
And outside of getting lucky with the Jordan pick and finding Pippen as his running mate (Krause did a good job except at the end), the Bulls have been nothing to write home about. GarPax sucks as a GM.

You take away their six rings, and what have they got?

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Magic number down to 23 with cards loss.

Man, we have been around each other for a long time. Not me and you, but the whole board. I mean CSF77, boobaby, czman, and multiple other are from CBS. You came here a year or two later and so did TC, PR, and all the names I am forgetting. Man, how good is our fucking team! I want a World Series more than anything. I watched the Saints win the ship and trust me. I never thought that would happen. That was some voodoo home cooking. I fucking believe. I tell people to temper their expectatios, but fuck it. This is the best Cubs team I have ever saw. I am 30 and this team is unreal. I know the window should have just started, but fuck. Lets hype the train up. I am a man that grew up in southern Louisiana. I cried when Harry Caray died. I batted like Mark Grace and Frank Thomas. No batting gloves was like Grace and the stance and power came from Thomas. Its our time. Im enjoying the ride this year. WE ARE GOOD! Try not to suck!

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
You take away their six rings, and what have they got?
They haven't done anything of real significance since they broke up the Jordan/Pippen team. Organizations don't win championships. Players do.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
They haven't done anything of real significance since they broke up the Jordan/Pippen team. Organizations don't win championships. Players do.

On a basic level I agree with you but there's a lot of nuance there. Most teams with long term success have a solid organizational structure behind them. On the other hand you don't win without talent. Sometimes talent overcomes a poor organization, hell the Cubs almost did it in 2003, but I don't think there are a ton of instances of that in baseball. The best teams of course have both, solid organizational foundation and superior talent.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
On a basic level I agree with you but there's a lot of nuance there. Most teams with long term success have a solid organizational structure behind them. On the other hand you don't win without talent. Sometimes talent overcomes a poor organization, hell the Cubs almost did it in 2003, but I don't think there are a ton of instances of that in baseball. The best teams of course have both, solid organizational foundation and superior talent.
I'm quoting something the Bulls said when they decided not to keep that team. They weren't as good of an organization as they thought. It isn't that easy to reload.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I'm quoting something the Bulls said when they decided not to keep that team. They weren't as good of an organization as they thought. It isn't that easy to reload.

Oh I agree wholeheartedly on the Bulls and understood the reference. I didn't agree with that statement from them when it was made and I don't agree now. I've given up on them because they're a bad organization. I almost gave up on the Cubs 100 times because the organization sucked but baseball is my game. It's the only of the major sports I actually had any skill at and the Cubs have been my team since I was 8. I love the game so it wasn't easy to quit my favorite team. What we have now though is an outstanding organization from bottom to top and some of best talent in the game. It's been worth sticking around for.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
Man, we have been around each other for a long time. Not me and you, but the whole board. I mean CSF77, boobaby, czman, and multiple other are from CBS. You came here a year or two later and so did TC, PR, and all the names I am forgetting. Man, how good is our fucking team! I want a World Series more than anything. I watched the Saints win the ship and trust me. I never thought that would happen. That was some voodoo home cooking. I fucking believe. I tell people to temper their expectatios, but fuck it. This is the best Cubs team I have ever saw. I am 30 and this team is unreal. I know the window should have just started, but fuck. Lets hype the train up. I am a man that grew up in southern Louisiana. I cried when Harry Caray died. I batted like Mark Grace and Frank Thomas. No batting gloves was like Grace and the stance and power came from Thomas. Its our time. Im enjoying the ride this year. WE ARE GOOD! Try not to suck!

Holy shit you're 30? My youngest grand kid turned 31 in May. Of course I was 16 when my oldest child was born. I knocked up Rita, the Dominican baby sitter.

But seriously good post. This is the best Cubs team I've seen too. Better than 84, 89, 2003, 2008, 2009 and 2015.

It's a special year. We have a legitimate shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:

It's been a long ride hasn't it? I remember the discussions about Kris Bryant as he was coming up and all the talk of his deficiencies and how he would likely be a good player but that we shouldn't raise our hopes too high. I remember the elation when Javy Baez came up and then the utter defeatism when his K rate was 40% and he couldn't make the team to start 2015. I remember wondering if Jake Arrietta was actually a #1 starter and that was only about 18 months ago. Last year it took me a long time to get on board with that team being really good. I think I finally decided to enjoy the season in mid August. Before that I was firmly in "wait til next year" mode.

This year I decided to take a new tack. I wasn't going to sweat the small stuff instead I looked at this team and saw an excellent team getting better. I've pushed back against the naysayers from the time they were living game to game during the hot start and and all the through the slump. This shit is supposed to be fun and by letting go of the angst (mostly) this has been to this point the most fun I've ever had watching the Cubs and it ain't over yet, in fact it's just starting to get real. Yeah they can win. I expect them to win. Go Cubs!

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Started on CBS in 2006. After the 2008 season that board went to crap.

I'm tempering my expectations. 2003 I watched that series. I felt they had Fla in the bag. To let you know it wasn't Bartman at all. The moment that series changed was on a hard foul ball into Fla's dugout. Up until that moment Fla was on the ropes. That screamer loosened them up and I still remember seeing I Rod joking with others over it.

I was werry at that moment.

This team is just too good right now. I could say they are like LaSorta's A's. That team still lost before they won. Did not have a long run due to their market.

The main problem I see is they have shown vulnerability this year. Right now the pen is the weakest point. Each starter can have nothing on any day. So it is far from in the bag.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Holy shit you're 30? My youngest grand kid turned 31 in May. Of course I was 16 when my oldest child was born. I knocked up Rita, the Dominican baby sitter.

But seriously good post. This is the best Cubs team I've seen too. Better than 84, 89, 2003, 2008, 2009 and 2015.

It's a special year. We have a legitimate shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You know posts like this make me realize this team was only bad for a little while when you list all the good teams from the 2000's. Its like this generation of cub fans were around in 1908 and disappointed every year.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I by no means think a World Series title is in the bag. I'm just not wired to think like that and I also don't believe that the most talented team, which I think the cubs are, always wins out. Baseball isn't that way. All that said I look at all the likely or possible playoff teams Washington, LA, SF, St. Louis, Texas, Cleveland, Boston, Toronto, Baltimore, Seattle, and whoever else worms their way in, and when I look closely I think the Cubs have the best shot at the thing. Every team has flaws but I believe the Cubs have the fewest. In and of itself that means nothing but I'm going to enjoy the hell out of this until the last out, which I'm thinking will be in November.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

While I love the way this team is constructed, I think I'm a bit tempered about my expectations this year. That being said, dear god next year's team though... Obviously injury could again hurt them but your every day line up could consist of something like Zobrist/Schwarber/Bryant/Rizzo/Contreras/Russell as your 1-6 and all 6 of them could be 4+ fWAR. And that's before we even talk about a Heyward bounce back and Baez taking his game to another level which realistically could happen. It's also before we talk about those guys all getting better with 1 more year in the books(well minus Zobris obviously). They are on like 105 win pace without Schwarber and while they could lose Fowler, that's not a guarantee.

The offseason in general will be interesting. The ever present trade for a young starter. The possibility of re-signing Chapman. The possibility of replacing him and other LHP. And it's honestly just starting. They still have some work to do with the long term starting pitcher questions but at this point the team really does look like the next late-90's Yankees or a possibly better version of the Braves during the 90's.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I by no means think a World Series title is in the bag. I'm just not wired to think like that and I also don't believe that the most talented team, which I think the cubs are, always wins out. Baseball isn't that way. All that said I look at all the likely or possible playoff teams Washington, LA, SF, St. Louis, Texas, Cleveland, Boston, Toronto, Baltimore, Seattle, and whoever else worms their way in, and when I look closely I think the Cubs have the best shot at the thing. Every team has flaws but I believe the Cubs have the fewest. In and of itself that means nothing but I'm going to enjoy the hell out of this until the last out, which I'm thinking will be in November.
According to 538, the Cubs have a 22% chance as of today of winning the WS. Next team's chances are the Red Sox at 11%.
http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-mlb-predictions/?ex_cid=rrpromo

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
According to 538, the Cubs have a 22% chance as of today of winning the WS. Next team's chances are the Red Sox at 11%.
http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-mlb-predictions/?ex_cid=rrpromo

Yeah they were talking about this on the radio the other day. 20%+ is a phenomenal probability for a single team to win the WS. It's about as high of odd's as a team can have. But we still have nearly an 80% of NOT winning. So its important to keep in perspective that we're really f'ing good and we have as good of a shot as anybody -- but the playoffs in baseball is all about who gets hot at the right time.

You can have the best team in the league and if you run into a hot team, it's over.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Yeah they were talking about this on the radio the other day. 20%+ is a phenomenal probability for a single team to win the WS. It's about as high of odd's as a team can have. But we still have nearly an 80% of NOT winning. So its important to keep in perspective that we're really f'ing good and we have as good of a shot as anybody -- but the playoffs in baseball is all about who gets hot at the right time.

You can have the best team in the league and if you run into a hot team, it's over.
I posted that because it's essentially what TC was saying. They have the best shot of anyone right now, but in the playoffs anything can happen.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

One name.....Jordan.

Never did a damn thing before him and have done zilch since he left.

It's certainly not a surprise or a coincidence that the "organization" is pretty much a failure.

But, I digress....wrong Forum anyway.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
While I love the way this team is constructed, I think I'm a bit tempered about my expectations this year. That being said, dear god next year's team though... Obviously injury could again hurt them but your every day line up could consist of something like Zobrist/Schwarber/Bryant/Rizzo/Contreras/Russell as your 1-6 and all 6 of them could be 4+ fWAR. And that's before we even talk about a Heyward bounce back and Baez taking his game to another level which realistically could happen. It's also before we talk about those guys all getting better with 1 more year in the books(well minus Zobris obviously). They are on like 105 win pace without Schwarber and while they could lose Fowler, that's not a guarantee.

The offseason in general will be interesting. The ever present trade for a young starter. The possibility of re-signing Chapman. The possibility of replacing him and other LHP. And it's honestly just starting. They still have some work to do with the long term starting pitcher questions but at this point the team really does look like the next late-90's Yankees or a possibly better version of the Braves during the 90's.

This franchise is so similar to the Blackhawks...it's scary. They've built the foundation and have their core players set, now they have to keep updating it...phasing in new young players while bidding adieu to older and fading favorites. If they continue to draft well and avoid the "all in" trades, they can be a very good team for a very long time.