Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Lester start today is why i hoped he had gone to Iowa and started a game there first before coming up..
Get the rust out

Now their gonna exhaust the pen having to need them to go 4 or 5 and its just a 1 run game..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

They have plenty of arms with the call ups.

PickSix

Liked Posts:
Lester vs Rivera in a foot race. That would be epic viewing.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Try Rizzo at P. This pen is shit.

Near the bottom of the majors since the ASB. The pen will get the Cubs knocked out of the playoffs.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
They have plenty of arms with the call ups.
They added Grimm and Maples..
Don't really wanna see Grimm unless it's a blowout..
Maples is ? right now til we see him which probably won't be til there a blowout..lol

So, in a close game its going to be the regulars

Anyhow.. they let him go 90 pitches and he got 5 innings in..
They were talking he'd be on a pitch count today.. guess not

Figured he was only gonna get 4 in because he was already in the 70s..

Their already on their 5th reliever now 1 out in the 8th..

I believe Maples Grimm and Davis left with Strop who was used yesterday..

Monty gonna have to go 6-7 tomorrow..
Or
We may see a couple guys we don't wanna see if game close

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Near the bottom of the majors since the ASB. The pen will get the Cubs knocked out of the playoffs.
They'll shorten the pen in playoff..
Monty will be back in there

Maddon will probably mostly rely on
Montgomery Duensing
Strop Edwards
For most part..
Obviously Davis to close..

Wilson and Rondon will be the X factors ..
need to come through when called upon

getting the starters to go into the 7th will be huge too..
All 4, Lester Arrieta Quintana Hendricks are capable of doing so for most part..

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Score 14 runs and still need to use up 7 relievers today, including the closer to get 12 outs ..

So, definitely tomorrow Duensing and Davis are out after being used 2 days in row..

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I know there are some here who believe he is a plus player, but I watched him up close today, and can say with confidence that Jon Jay has absolutely no idea where a fly ball is headed. Every fly ball deep turns him around. He misjudged one to CF earlier in the week but caught it, and people here literally referred to it as "a gold glove inning".

He makes easy ines look hard by taking the wrong route or by taking a step back on every fly ball, even when he needs to come in.

Best kept secret of 2017: Almora, whose defense is vastly superior, has offensive stats comparable to Jay. Slightly lower BA and OPS, but overall a better option.

That missed fly ball to LF today was ridiculous. Travis Wood caught those!

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Best kept secret of 2017: Almora, whose defense is vastly superior, has offensive stats comparable to Jay. Slightly lower BA and OPS, but overall a better option.

I'm personally a pretty big Almora fan. I'm curious to see how he handles RHP going forward. This year he is hitting .248/.273/.331 vs RHP. He's absolutely laid waste to LHP at .351/.430/.521. What's weird is the opposite was true last year. Last year he had .286/.324/.400 RHP splits and .262/.279/.548 LHP splits. I think there's more in there for him vs RHP. if he can get closer to the 2016 numbers vs RHP without having a drop off vs LHP he's going to be a pretty valuable player.

I think what we may end up seeing is rather than carry a guy like Jay next year I think they may go full boar on Almora but mix in Happ vs tougher RHP in CF. Against LHP Happ can also play LF giving Schwarber a break. That might solve some of the issues I've perceived as a problem though that's kind of the role Zobrist should also be playing in LF/2B.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I'm personally a pretty big Almora fan. I'm curious to see how he handles RHP going forward. This year he is hitting .248/.273/.331 vs RHP. He's absolutely laid waste to LHP at .351/.430/.521. What's weird is the opposite was true last year. Last year he had .286/.324/.400 RHP splits and .262/.279/.548 LHP splits. I think there's more in there for him vs RHP. if he can get closer to the 2016 numbers vs RHP without having a drop off vs LHP he's going to be a pretty valuable player.

I think what we may end up seeing is rather than carry a guy like Jay next year I think they may go full boar on Almora but mix in Happ vs tougher RHP in CF. Against LHP Happ can also play LF giving Schwarber a break. That might solve some of the issues I've perceived as a problem though that's kind of the role Zobrist should also be playing in LF/2B.
Jay a perfect 4th OFer..
Thing is though after having a pretty good season , some team(s) going to offer a sizeable contract for him to start..

I hope they just go with Almora next year and as you suggest use Happ as his back up but something tells me their gonna look for an everyday leadoff type CFer in off season...

TL1961

Liked Posts:
He hits singles, and is poor defensively. Tracks balls poirly, has no arm.

No pop in his bat.

Your definition of "perfect" is certainly different than mine.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
He hits singles, and is poor defensively. Tracks balls poirly, has no arm.

No pop in his bat.

Your definition of "perfect" is certainly different than mine.
LMAO..

Yea he hits mostly singles cause he not a damn slugger..
He a little contact hitting CFer..lol

He a career .288 hitter with a .359 OBP and a .739 OPS

This year mainly as a platoon OFer
He hitting .291 .381 OBP .762 OPS all above career numbers..

Yet you wanna shit on him because he doesn't hit a ton of EBH...lol

As far a his defense goes..
He has 0 errors in 110 chances this year and only 8 errors in 1751 career chances..

And for the times he may have made a bad read on balls, He has made a shit ton of great catches ..
So no he not a GG OFer but he far from sucking ass out there..

though he been starting a lot for the cubs, he not someone a playoff team would look to have as an everyday starter.. but yes he'd be a very good 4th OFer who when you do play him he not going to be an auto out , he gonna be productive in a lineup and get on base for the most part..

That what you want in a 4th OFer..
You're not gonna find CFers that hit a ton of homers and doubles sitting on bench as a 4th OFer..
their gonna be starting

You want to pick on a guy for not slugging.. turn your attention to the 6'5 240 pound RFer who has just 9 HRs and a .379 SLG %..
Frickn 5'11 195 pound Jay has a higher slugging percentage then him at .381..

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I did not shit on him for not hitting HRs. I say a "perfect 4th OF" would be sble to help at the plate in a close ball game.

No errors? You judge an OF's defense by number of errors?? Few errors occur in the OF. I promise you if you put me out there right now, I would have no errors. But I would also catch nothing. Thst is what matters. An OF who takes a step back and then comes in, too late to catch a ball gets no error.

You are seriously asking me to praise a career .288 hitter becsuse as of this morning he is batting .291?

His OBP has been good. That is true.

Also true is that he is an OF who has started more games than not, with poor D, no srm, 2Hrs, and you call him "perfect". Says it all.

Me not considering him perfect is not exactly "shitting on him".

Where does he add value over any othrr OF, including, and specifically, Almora.

You refer to him as "productive". How so? That is the big question nobody answers. How is a .291(for now) hitter with no decent slugging, "productive"? I predicted he would hit "an empty .281", I believe. We shall see.

If you are not as good defensively, you need to be waaaayy better offensively. He is not.

He is a mirage.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:

we will see if they learned enough about happ and almora to just let them play center, with Hayward always being an option. Last year they did not learn enough about Almora other than he had some struggles hitting. You have a potent lineup that the defense in center should overshadow the offense. Jay felt like a panic move after Fowler walked and stayed away this time, but has hit enough to cover his liabilities. He got a sports center top play for a ball he badly played.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers

Also a huge Almora fan. Personally love the outfield defense with Happ/Almora/Heyward. I don't mind Jay off the bench, or for the occasional start, but Almora should easily be playing over him.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I did not shit on him for not hitting HRs. I say a "perfect 4th OF" would be sble to help at the plate in a close ball game.

you keep saying he just a singles hitter... he doesn't help in close games ?

2 outs RISP .282 Avg .404 OBP .840 OPS
late and close .302 Avg .439 OBP .779 OPS
within 2 runs .291 Avg .384 OBP .763 OPS
behind .319 Avg .417 OBP .829 OPS

I would say looking at those numbers he helping alot in those situations

No errors? You judge an OF's defense by number of errors?? Few errors occur in the OF. I promise you if you put me out there right now, I would have no errors. But I would also catch nothing. Thst is what matters. An OF who takes a step back and then comes in, too late to catch a ball gets no error.

no i dont judge solely on errors.. just shows that he doesnt have a brick glove or throws the ball wildly to let runners get an extra base..which is important
like i said he not gonna win you a GG out there but he far from being as horrible as you make him out to be..
he made a lot of great catches.. youre in the minority on this one about his overall defense

You are seriously asking me to praise a career .288 hitter becsuse as of this morning he is batting .291?
His OBP has been good. That is true

no.. but damn the dude hitting .291, and he giving you a .381 OBP as a leadoff hitter
yet you continue to rag on him

Also true is that he is an OF who has started more games than not, with poor D, no srm, 2Hrs, and you call him "perfect". Says it all.

saying he has poor defense is your opinion..
complaining he only has 2 Hrs, that dumb.. especially when a big strong RFer has just 9 playing everyday and you say nothing about that..

i said he was a perfect back up OFer.. you know a guy who can start off the bench and wont just be an auto out
i challenge you to find a bunch of lead off hitting type back up OFers with 300 AB that has a better then 1.1 WAR .290 Avg .379 OBP .380 SLG .759 OPS

Where does he add value over any othrr OF, including, and specifically, Almora.

i always said Almora should be starting but Maddon dont like to use him against RHers..
jay value is in his .290 Avg and mainly his .380 OBP as a leadoff hitter

what other OFers on team would you prefer him to play everyday over him other then Almora ? zobrist?

You refer to him as "productive". How so? That is the big question nobody answers. How is a .291(for now) hitter with no decent slugging, "productive"? I predicted he would hit "an empty .281", I believe. We shall see.

he a damn leadoff hitting CFer with a .380 OBP, getting on base ahead of the big sluggers is being productive..lol
means he doing his job as a leadoff hitter, he far from being empty
AND
his slugging of .380 is only 8 points under Heyward and 5 points better then Zobrist..

i get you dont like him for being an ex cardinal but damn youre pissing on a guy who been one of the most consistent player on this team all year and for the last month or so has stabalized the lead off spot that was lacking most of year..
whether you think it or not he been one of the BIG reason of their 2nd half success with his stability and getting on base at the lead off spot