SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
D48KbF4W4AAHCAc.jpg

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Right back at ya

Honestly my opinion is not a fan boi one.

My was based by facts.

They are over cap by 20 MIL.

they are losing 5 core BP arms.

Nothing to debate there.

So even if the do plug and play with Chatwood to shed 20 M from Hamels to get to cap again.

11 M from Morrow
6 m from Strop

You can say those 2 will be off set by the increase to Baez and Contreras alone.

Then you lose 14 mil from Zobrist. That might by another suspect closer. Not a top shelf.

Then around 14 mil from the other 3 pen arms dropping. They could get 2 set up pitchers for that.

Cap locked. No wiggle room for injury. And worse than the current team. Just to retain a 1B on the decline.

But ya you are right. I have a fan boi opinion...

chibears55

Liked Posts:
What's more, Rizzo has a strong tendency to spend the first 4 to 8 weeks of the season hovering arund the Mendoza line. Then, when other players begin to wilt in the midsummer sun, he hits his stride and hits in the range of .330 to .380 for big stretches.

But, hey, no one on the team has done anything to score runs in the past 12 seconds or so -- trade 'em all and get players who can score runs in the offseason and store them up for the next April! ;)

-Doug
Not really, he only been hitting really bad in April the last 2 years as far as averages goes.

Before then the average been ok and his OPS has been high

So, I think people need to stop saying that him having a slow start, etc. is a norm for him cause it wasn't til last year.

That said, Rizzo the only player on this team I dont worry about when he slumping, cause he will break out of it and it usually in a big way..

Also, anyone who thinks Rizzo wont be a cub til he retires is being foolish..
Guy will probably end up having a life long job with the cubs organization even after he retires

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

My was based by facts.

Nothing to debate there.

So even if the do plug and play with Chatwood to shed 20 M from Hamels to get to cap again.

11 M from Morrow
6 m from Strop

You can say those 2 will be off set by the increase to Baez and Contreras alone.

Then you lose 14 mil from Zobrist. That might by another suspect closer. Not a top shelf.

Then around 14 mil from the other 3 pen arms dropping. They could get 2 set up pitchers for that.

Cap locked. No wiggle room for injury. And worse than the current team. Just to retain a 1B on the decline.

You may not have a "fan boi" opinion but its a really terrible one. He is ranked as a top 5 first baseman in the league. He would make one million more than Tyler Chatwood next year. Get rid of the bum that is 29 and is continuing his walk rate while his K rate is dropping. I know he just a GG first baseman. Totally over rated. Leader of the team? Who cares? We need to sign middle relievers with your totally off base cap numbers.

chibears55

Liked Posts:

My was based by facts.

Nothing to debate there.

11 M from Morrow
6 m from Strop

There is no cap in baseball....
What their paying now in luxery tax is peanuts for them..
And after the tv deal kicks in, if they go over the max tax down the road, the cost of that penalty will be peanuts for them..

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Not really, he only been hitting really bad in April the last 2 years as far as averages goes.

Before then the average been ok and his OPS has been high

So, I think people need to stop saying that him having a slow start, etc. is a norm for him cause it wasn't til last year.

That said, Rizzo the only player on this team I dont worry about when he slumping, cause he will break out of it and it usually in a big way..

Also, anyone who thinks Rizzo wont be a cub til he retires is being foolish..
Guy will probably end up having a life long job with the cubs organization even after he retires

Joe had to lead off with him the year before. Same scenerio. This is the 3rd time now.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
There is no cap in baseball....
What their paying now in luxery tax is peanuts for them..
And after the tv deal kicks in, if they go over the max tax down the road, the cost of that penalty will be peanuts for them..

Dude they are not going go over tax a 2nd time.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

You may not have a "fan boi" opinion but its a really terrible one. He is ranked as a top 5 first baseman in the league. He would make one million more than Tyler Chatwood next year. Get rid of the bum that is 29 and is continuing his walk rate while his K rate is dropping. I know he just a GG first baseman. Totally over rated. Leader of the team? Who cares? We need to sign middle relievers with your totally off base cap numbers.

I've even said that he has been great value to the Cubs over his deal.

But it is what it is. The numbers are there. And sure they could end up over hauling this team completely.

I honestly think that it is becoming very apparent that this will be the right call. Theo has already hinted at this last year and chose to hold. Work Joe most likely not extended it becomes a prime time to retool.

I think that they should drop 50 mil myself. Take it down to 170 mil and extend who they want trade he becomes extension issues rebuy control with it the utilize free agents to finalize.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Saying they "shine" is a stretch but I'd say they are certainly adequate. You're not gonna throw 9 Gold Gloves out there....there are some defensive deficiencies on every team.

I am pointing out that we are below league average, not below gold glove level. Yet someone here has described the platoon as doing great. I don’t think they get that defense matters too.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Dude they are not going go over tax a 2nd time.

I should rephrase that.

They showed much love to Joe to go over tax to give him one last shot at a ring.

I think that is enough on that subject.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
On that sports track list...I prefer cots but they have the Cubs at $98.810M if they buy out opts and don't offer arb.

This is my personal take here.

They should offer Baez and Contreras extensions. 6 years each. Control that issue right now.

If they decide to not accept and play the F/A game then we'll you have to make hard line choices.

I think that they bring in Joe G. And start trying to lock up players. The players that do not extend

C - Yasmani Grandal
1B - Justin Smoak
2B - Scooter Gennett
SS - Didi Gregorius
3B - Anthony Rendon
LF - Marcell Ozuna
CF - Jarrod Dyson
RF - Yasiel Puig
DH - J.D. Martinez
Rotation: Gerrit Cole, Zack Wheeler, Madison Bumgarner, Cole Hamels, Hyun-Jin Ryu

There will be F/A talent where you could see a team like the Cubs look at Bryant playing hard ball F/A BS and flat trade him for a huge return then extend Baez push him to 3B and sign Scooter

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Big Jon is back Thursday!

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I assumed he would be. Good to hear

Cubs site was saying they could have had Chatwood start but that is a 4 day turn over. That was a hard sale.

But it does line up Hendricks and Darvish vs the DBacks and it wouldn't shock me if the pushed Chatwood that series. The DBacks are worse vs RHP.

I can see Chatwood used this way for a while to set up advantages

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Hopefully Bryant gets going

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Cubs site was saying they could have had Chatwood start but that is a 4 day turn over. That was a hard sale.

But it does line up Hendricks and Darvish vs the DBacks and it wouldn't shock me if the pushed Chatwood that series. The DBacks are worse vs RHP.

I can see Chatwood used this way for a while to set up advantages
Already announced Hendricks Darvish Quintana in Arizona..

Chatwood had a nice start but dont count on him getting starts just because he had 1 nice start ...

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Bryant has a couple of hits
Nobody else does

Go figure..lol