My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Rizzdemption!

hankchifan

Liked Posts:
Mills pitching decently given the situation.
Mills and theCubs were not helped by the home plate ump, who was awful not calling strikes on the corners or at the knees. This ump wins the Angel Hernandez Memorial Award.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Sorta lost tonight was Alzolay having yet another good night. He was roughed up decently in his first start but his last 4 have been 21 innings of 5 BB 26k 9 ER baseball for a 3.86 ERA and a 11.14 k/9 2.14 BB/9 which is fantastic. With a 57% strand rate he's been a little unlucky but he also needs to cut down on his HRs slightly. I'd also like to see him pitch deeper into games but I imagine the cubs are very closely monitoring his pitch counts given his injury history and the fact there was almost no season last year for him.

Stats haven't updated from tonight yet so this might be slightly off but that 4.29 K/bb rate would put him top 20 in the league right now. Darvish to give a reference point is sitting at 57/12 k/bb or a 4.75 k/bb rate. Not saying he's as good as Darvish just illustrating the type of company he's nearing when you talk about that sort of rate and those last 4 starts he's at 5.2 k/bb. If he starts to limit his HR rate watch out. He's a legit shot to win ROY if he's still eligible.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Sorta lost tonight was Alzolay having yet another good night. He was roughed up decently in his first start but his last 4 have been 21 innings of 5 BB 26k 9 ER baseball for a 3.86 ERA and a 11.14 k/9 2.14 BB/9 which is fantastic. With a 57% strand rate he's been a little unlucky but he also needs to cut down on his HRs slightly. I'd also like to see him pitch deeper into games but I imagine the cubs are very closely monitoring his pitch counts given his injury history and the fact there was almost no season last year for him.

Stats haven't updated from tonight yet so this might be slightly off but that 4.29 K/bb rate would put him top 20 in the league right now. Darvish to give a reference point is sitting at 57/12 k/bb or a 4.75 k/bb rate. Not saying he's as good as Darvish just illustrating the type of company he's nearing when you talk about that sort of rate and those last 4 starts he's at 5.2 k/bb. If he starts to limit his HR rate watch out. He's a legit shot to win ROY if he's still eligible.
He is and his biggest competition is Ian Anderson.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Great for him and the Cubs. Not only bailed himself out, but he bailed Contreras, BoteandHayward who were all horrid at the plate!

But Bote is Übermensch

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Great for him and the Cubs. Not only bailed himself out, but he bailed Contreras, BoteandHayward who were all horrid at the plate!
Whatd rizzo bail himself out of? On the double play attempt what he did was correct and the smart baseball move. He didn't touch the base because if they were to get force outs at both bases then the run wouldn't count, but if Javy had to tag the guy at 2nd to get the out and the run scored first then it did count. He knew what he was doing, javy just didn't pick it up.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Whatd rizzo bail himself out of? On the double play attempt what he did was correct and the smart baseball move. He didn't touch the base because if they were to get force outs at both bases then the run wouldn't count, but if Javy had to tag the guy at 2nd to get the out and the run scored first then it did count. He knew what he was doing, javy just didn't pick it up.

im glad someone else knows this. It was javys blunder, not rizzos

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I wouldnt call it anyones blunder. From Javy view point, he probably thought Rizzo touched the base.

well yeah, javy obviously thought he touched the base. But knowing the situation, javy should of known the force out double play was the only way to prevent the run from scoring. That’s why it was javys blunder...again, situational baseball and the cubs struggle mightily with it

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I think after it all shook out we can see that was on Rizzo

Javy did exactly what he should have done.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Series sweep. Move on to Pitt to start the spanking.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
im glad someone else knows this. It was javys blunder, not rizzos
It wasn’t a terrible move on anyone’s part. Rizzo trying for DP in that way was nothing out of the ordinary but stepping back towards first and throwing down way ahead of the runner absolutely looked like a tag play, not a force.

If it’s debatable he should be yelling.

But there is NO way one can accurately call it a blunder by Javy.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Cubs won consecutive games in which they were down to their last out for the first time in sixty years.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
It wasn’t a terrible move on anyone’s part. Rizzo trying for DP in that way was nothing out of the ordinary but stepping back towards first and throwing down way ahead of the runner absolutely looked like a tag play, not a force.

not understanding the situation in how to prevent a run from scoring is absolutely a blunder IMO. it’s these ”little” things that continually cost the cubs...granted, it’s usually situational hitting and not situational fielding that hurts this team

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:

Not sure it can be a blunder on rizzo for making the correct baseball play

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Cubs won consecutive games in which they were down to their last out for the first time in sixty years.

Well got a day off and then Davies/Williams/Hendricks

To be frank if either Davies or Williams pitched vs LA there would not have been any streaking going on. It took Kyle rebounding and LAD not knowing squat about Keegan and David yanking him before they dialed in.

This series sweep was more on the staff not letting the Dodgers come in and punk the fans in W.F. It allowed the O to fight back

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not sure it can be a blunder on rizzo for making the correct baseball play
I dont think its a blunder on either part. Its a play that doesnt happen often the way it did. He was right by the bag. Javy view point had to think Rizzo touched the bag. Both are extremely intelligent players. Its just one of those plays. These are both GG players. Chalk it up to the baseball Gods and the Cubs still got the W.