IST: Pirates @ Cubs

jts1207

Liked Posts:
Should have cracked this open in the first.....

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Duffy with a clutch hit!

Bust

Liked Posts:
it was against the triple A pirates. Hopefully it builds them some confidence, but I’m waiting to see Davies and Pederson do it against actual competition

Well Cubs did sweep the billion dollar payroll Dodgers the other day, no? They also swept one of the hottest teams in nl just a few weeks ago in the Mets.

Buyers!

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Gotta get this sweep tomorrow.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Yep that scrub Duffy sucks. Can't hit for crap. A complete loser who can't hold Bote's jock.

Attachments

• you-idiot.jpg
    you-idiot.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 1

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Well Cubs did sweep the billion dollar payroll Dodgers the other day, no? They also swept one of the hottest teams in nl just a few weeks ago in the Mets.

Buyers!

Jon Gray.

Rockies are going to be sellers. Gray is on his walk year. 3.12 ERA 3.57 BB/9 and a 8.48 SO/9. I see him as the best option as of right now.

As far as his price tag? Keegan moves into their rotation. That is their biggest need. Yankee's most likely will over pay for Story in July. Cubs might be able to sell pitching. Steel and Thompson. Maybe the younger Morel brother.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers

Buyers!
That’s not what the discussion was about. It wasn’t about the team overall. It was about Davies pitching performance.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
That’s not what the discussion was about. It wasn’t about the team overall. It was about Davies pitching performance.

No it was just another thing for you to bitch about.

Who gives a shit if Davies pitched to contact against a puss team. It worked for him instead of getting his ass handed to him another time.

Swear you are a joke.

I don't hear a pip out of you for all of the times that Kyle shit the bed. No made excuses for him. Slow starter. You know what? Davies has a history also. He is not a rookie. He holds a 3.90 career ERA mark over 713 IP. Over that span he has a 6.49 SO/9. He has never been a strike out pitcher. He has been a weak contact pitcher.

It ain't sexy but it works for him. He has a 52-38 mark. Which means shit I know. But what it shows is he won more than he lost with what he had.

Do I like him? No I would 100% rather have Yu back. But I'm not going to shit on a guy because he doesn't check the boxes that I like. That would be arrogant.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
So instead of trading guys like hendricks when they had more value, we are going to let him have a rough season with us to lower his trade value and then probably trade him. As soon as they traded Yu, they should of traded a lot of the other guys. Hendricks getting knocked around so far today again. He doesn’t look like his old self right now

yeah, I mean I don’t expect him to keep a 7 ERA all season or anything. But, I also don’t think he will have an era close to 3 either. This past offseason was the time to trade him. He was coming off years of great production and a pretty team friendly contract. They could of gotten probably a very similar haul to what they got for Yu. Now, who knows...trading him by the all star break this season will only work well if he bounces back before the break. Trade deadline makes most sense for a time to trade him...have the competing teams get into a bidding war for him

my god, imagine being so beyond wrong. Some people should really just keep their fucking mouths shut...but I guess they like the taste of their own foot

TL1961

Liked Posts:
my god, imagine being so beyond wrong. Some people should really just keep their fucking mouths shut...but I guess they like the taste of their own foot
Are you replying to your own posts and criticizing?

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Are you replying to your own posts and criticizing?

no. Replying to the jabroni above claiming I never complain about Kyle or whatever dumb shit he was spouting

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
you said the opponent does not matter. As if pitching to the weakest lineup in all of baseball does not impact a pitchers willingness to be in the strike zone. The opponent absolutely is a factor in it. Like I said, I hope it builds him some confidence and we see a better Davies going forward. But to act like it made no difference if it was the pirates or the Yankees is just silly. I’m sure if it had been judge and company, they would of smashed some of those pitches in the zone that the minor league hitting pirates simply cannot. The opponent absolutely matters. But hey, whatever...think what you wish
We're talking about two entirely different things man. If davies can't control his pitches then no it doesn't matter who he's facing. Players like that are either sent down to the minors or cut/traded. I agree that when pitchers can control their pitches it does matter who they are facing which is the case you are making.

Let me illustrate a bit here... in his first game of the season Davies faced the same pirate team and walked 3 batters in 5.2 and gave up 2 runs. In his second start he again faced the same pirate team and gave up 3 walks in 1.2 innings which lead to 7 earned.

Other than the start we are talking about he only had one start this season where he made it to the 5th inning. That's not because of the quality of the opponents. He had 2 games vs the pirates, 1 vs cincy, 2 vs Atlanta and 1 vs mets. All of those teams are pretty average. If you wanna argue Atlanta is better than they have played then i'll concede that point. But like the mets are probably the next best team in that grouping and they are kinda meh.

Regardless, the point I'm trying to make here is we can't even bother discussing how good/bad Davies is until he can control his pitches because the 7 bb/9 or whatever he was at prior to that start isn't a major league level player. And Davies is a guy who lives off control very similarly to Hendricks. So, the fact he seems to have found his control again is a good sign. If he continues to not walk people then sure let's have the discussion about him pitching well vs weak competition. But like I said the only point I'm trying to make here is the fact he isn't walking people is good because even in those other two starts vs the same PIT team it was an issue for him.

Bust

Liked Posts:

Meh. He's on a new team, new time zone, trying to impress his new teammates in a covid season no less. Not the first time first year players have stunk it up in Chicago before they figured it out. Craig Kimbrel the obvious choice for one. Robert Quinn of the Bears is another brutal first year whiff. Yu Darvish who was brought in to replace fan favorite Jake Arrieta made just 8 starts his first year before he got hurt.

2021 Cubs will become Buyers!

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
2021 Cubs will become Buyers!
I don't think so in the purest sense of the word. They aren't buying like say the 2016 team. But I also don't think people saying they are pure sellers are right either unless they play poorly. Way I see it, if they are competitive when trade season comes around they may look to buy but they will be selective on more long term buying options rather than rentals though realistically you should probably always be at least open to that idea. If someone puts a Arenado type trade out there you have to at least consider what it might do for you.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
We're talking about two entirely different things man. If davies can't control his pitches then no it doesn't matter who he's facing. Players like that are either sent down to the minors or cut/traded. I agree that when pitchers can control their pitches it does matter who they are facing which is the case you are making.

Let me illustrate a bit here... in his first game of the season Davies faced the same pirate team and walked 3 batters in 5.2 and gave up 2 runs. In his second start he again faced the same pirate team and gave up 3 walks in 1.2 innings which lead to 7 earned.

Other than the start we are talking about he only had one start this season where he made it to the 5th inning. That's not because of the quality of the opponents. He had 2 games vs the pirates, 1 vs cincy, 2 vs Atlanta and 1 vs mets. All of those teams are pretty average. If you wanna argue Atlanta is better than they have played then i'll concede that point. But like the mets are probably the next best team in that grouping and they are kinda meh.

Regardless, the point I'm trying to make here is we can't even bother discussing how good/bad Davies is until he can control his pitches because the 7 bb/9 or whatever he was at prior to that start isn't a major league level player. And Davies is a guy who lives off control very similarly to Hendricks. So, the fact he seems to have found his control again is a good sign. If he continues to not walk people then sure let's have the discussion about him pitching well vs weak competition. But like I said the only point I'm trying to make here is the fact he isn't walking people is good because even in those other two starts vs the same PIT team it was an issue for him.

you’re missing my point. Could the sudden finding of the strike zone be due to facing such an inept lineup? In other words, he was willing to put the ball in the strike zone because the pirates can’t do much with it hitting wise. thus, again, I’d like to see him pitching in the zone successfully against real competition before getting too excited/hopeful. It’s easy to find the strike zone when you’re confident it won’t get smashed.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
He pitched 7 innings and gave up 0 runs.

Smile and be happy he didn't suck.

If he sucks the next day you have a point.

If this is a trending improvement you are wrong.

Argument over.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
you’re missing my point. Could the sudden finding of the strike zone be due to facing such an inept lineup? In other words, he was willing to put the ball in the strike zone because the pirates can’t do much with it hitting wise. thus, again, I’d like to see him pitching in the zone successfully against real competition before getting too excited/hopeful. It’s easy to find the strike zone when you’re confident it won’t get smashed.
I literally showed you him walking the same pirate team...