IST: White Sox vs Cubs

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Well, today alone, Bryant (who I think looks very comfortable playing OF), failed to catch two balls Heyward catches easily.

Benching a gold glover should not be taken so lightly. Defense matters - even if we're not talking about a SS. And as beckdawg has stated, he may get that offense going more than in recent years.

This is basically the same exact argument when Happ plays center field over Almora.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I think more time will improve Bryant in RF.

CubsFaninMN

Liked Posts:
This is basically the same exact argument when Happ plays center field over Almora.

There is not so much of a difference in defense between Almora and Happ as you are trying to insinuate.

Unless, of course, Almora has won a GG and he, the Cubs and MLB are doing a real good job of keeping it a secret... ;)

CubsFaninMN

Liked Posts:

Bryant is an above-average third baseman, defensively. There are a lot more average outfielders than there are above average 3B...

In other words, why play the guy, at least primarily, at a position he doesn't play best at? That would be like saying the Bears need to get Tarik Cohen on the field for more plays, so they'll start him at QB and put Trubisky in at WR every other play, just to get Cohen out there more... :O

TL1961

Liked Posts:

I am not criticizing Bryant. I think he looks comfortable everywhere they have played him - LF, RF, 1B.

One ball was possibly lost due to the birds flying all over the place while he was trying to track it. The other was a ball he slightly misjudged, which was rare, not a common occurrence.

Buy Heyward is so natural and so good tthat he now gets taken for granted Not all those balls he cacthes easily, are easy.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Bryant is an above-average third baseman, defensively. There are a lot more average outfielders than there are above average 3B...

In other words, why play the guy, at least primarily, at a position he doesn't play best at? That would be like saying the Bears need to get Tarik Cohen on the field for more plays, so they'll start him at QB and put Trubisky in at WR every other play, just to get Cohen out there more... :O

No, it wouldn't be like that at all.

CubsFaninMN

Liked Posts:
I am not criticizing Bryant. I think he looks comfortable everywhere they have played him - LF, RF, 1B.

One ball was possibly lost due to the birds flying all over the place while he was trying to track it. The other was a ball he slightly misjudged, which was rare, not a common occurrence.

Buy Heyward is so natural and so good tthat he now gets taken for granted Not all those balls he cacthes easily, are easy.

Agreed. In fact, oddly enough, I'd say the position Bryant has looked least comfortable playing is 2B. (He has, since coming up three years ago, played ever position except P and C.)

I'm not sure why he looks less comfortable at 2B -- maybe because he has hard time dialing down his throwing arm to the much shorter distance from the regular 2B location to 1st. Or maybe it's just a see-the-ball kind of thing. I know Baez, who is likely *the* best infield defender on the club (and possibly in all of MLB), prefers 2B over SS or 3B just because it takes a few games for him to "dial in" the normal distance of the throw to 1st.

This team is unusual in a lot of ways, but one of the main ways is that it is one of the best, flashiest defenses any team can put out on the field. But they have a tendency to make errors on easy chances, not hard ones. If any team in the Majors needs to follow the mantra "Do Simple Better", it's this one. If they made every easy catch and every easy throw 100% automatic, they'd have Gold Glove winners and nearly every position.

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
Hope the offense stays hot today. Get that crosstown sweep.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I look at Bryant and I see RF honestly. Tall and fast with a strong arm. Given enough time out there he would be one of the league best there.

Baez was dynamic as a 3B before the whole 2B thing happened. I still believe with his power 3B is his best spot right now.

Zobrist needs to play as much as he can. 122 wRC+ Pushes that belief.

Now I believe Almora should play the majority of the time. Heyward really needs to flat out earn time vs being doled time based off of payroll

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Baez is better defensively at both 2nd and SS than many other players in the league.

Why should having power offensively turn him into a 3rd baseman?

To me, that is very antiquated and flawed thinking. You can stick power guys who aren’t great defensively at 3rd. You can’t do that at 2nd or SS. The defensive position should not be based on offensive production.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Heyward really needs to flat out earn time vs being doled time based off of payroll

That's not how playing time works. For one thing as mentioned Heyward is hitting fine vs RHP. But ignoring that, you don't get better by sitting on the bench. I mean it's one thing if you're in the middle of a tight playoff race down the wire and you HAVE to win games. But over the course of the season if you're not playing guys who are struggling then they shouldn't be on the team to begin with. In other words, the only way you'd ever "earn" more playing time is to play better and the only way you play better is to play more. That's circular logic.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
If Bryant were to move to the OF, hed be best in LF...

Cubs could have an OF of.....

Bryant Almora Harper

IF would be...

Rizzo Bote Machado Baez

???

Seriously though, if he were to move to the OF.. I think LF would be his spot

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Baez is better defensively at both 2nd and SS than many other players in the league.

Why should having power offensively turn him into a 3rd baseman?

To me, that is very antiquated and flawed thinking. You can stick power guys who aren’t great defensively at 3rd. You can’t do that at 2nd or SS. The defensive position should not be based on offensive production.

He actually was concidered a GG quality 3B also. 2015 he made plays there that were inhuman.

Beck: I get that part. But it has gotten to the point that he has negative over all value when he is up vs lefties. Vs righties he is league avg but his glove adds value to a avg player.

I see Bryant at 180 wRC+, Baez 146. Schwarber above 140. So all 3 have justified max playing time. Heyward is sub 90. Sure if you do a strait platoon is hovers league avg.

I really see this as what Jason has become. Nothing more or less. Strait platoon

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
Wow, horrendous throw.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
This game should not be tied.

We leave two on, they get HR after missed popup, and then hand them a 2nd run.

I get that it has to seem easy against this team, but what looked like a good shot at 4-0 became 2-2 really quick.

Pay attention, boys. Let's go get those back right away.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Looking like a game where the defense and bats are gonna cost them..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

TL1961

Liked Posts:
The Sox pitcher with his multiple walks, wild pitches and a HBP seems like he's getting pounded.

But we have one hit.