X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I agree w/ most points made here...

Cool Hand

Liked Posts:
Ok, that's fine. But you can't get all over people because they see what the Bears have done in three preseason games and they know what they are in for.

Will they beat the Lions in Week 1 when it counts? Probably, but that is because overall the Lions are a bad team. However, the Bears have shown so far, even if it is preseason, that they are not a good team.

Preseason or not, there is nothing to really look forwarded to this Bears season....

Won't be surprised if the Lions give us trouble. The Stafford/CJ combo might pick apart our vaunted secondary. Let's hope Urlacher and Briggs take away the easy 3rd down conversions we saw over the middle last night.

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
If the Bears don't go to the superbowl, I'm done as a Bears fan.

Livewire

Liked Posts:
Guys calm the fuck down please, it is only pre-season.

You're going to need the energy you're wasting getting mad at pre-season games to get mad at actual games that count once the regular season starts. So pace yourself, there will be plenty of weeks to bitch about our team that did not address out biggest issues this off season.

This will truly be a "at least beat the fucking Packers" year.

NealKleren

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree with most points. But my concern is our starters are getting their asses kicked. I could really care less once they are off the field about the game itself and if we lose but everything so far looks bad,offense and defense. I understand its preseason and wont flip out yet but from what I've been seeing from our starters,we look like garbage.

Lefty

Liked Posts:
Again, this is a great discussion we hope to touch on during the show Monday night, so be sure to listen in and give us a call with your thoughts on the matter.

Rush

Fuck it, Go Deep
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Carolina Hurricanes
  1. Duke Blue Devils
Im calling in to discuss Henry Burris and damnit....I wanna discuss Henry Burris.

Reactions: X

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Won't be surprised if the Lions give us trouble. The Stafford/CJ combo might pick apart our vaunted secondary. Let's hope Urlacher and Briggs take away the easy 3rd down conversions we saw over the middle last night.
I'm fairly confident (let's say 70%) the Bears will start off the season 1-0. Not having the schedule in front of me, I think the Bears would next play the Lions the week before they do the NE-Minn-NYJ-GB stretch. That game I think is a trap game in which they will probably lose.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Again, this is a great discussion we hope to touch on during the show Monday night, so be sure to listen in and give us a call with your thoughts on the matter.

I wanna know who's the biggest pain in the ass in the Sox clubhouse....Manny or AJ?

Or Henry Burris?

omc1969

Liked Posts:
OK here is my take for what it's worth. Look at many other teams and their performance this pre-season. NE has issues in their secondary and lost to the Rams. Dallas "O" is stuck in neutral as is Miami's even with Brandon Marshall. Sanchez looks lost at times in NY and the Giants have issues too. McNabb is injured and Grossman is starting for them in Washington. Pittsburgh has secondary concerns. Favre is already getting his bum ankle injected with lube and they have WR issues and no 3rd down back and .............................. How about Carolina who have failed to score even ONE TD in all 3 games so far. My point is that we are not the doom & gloom team that many think. I'm NO kool-aid drinker but many of the supposed playoff teams are struggling and we will just have to wait and see how it all plays out once the real season starts.
Anyone here remember 1985 ? We were 0-3 back then too ! Just sayin'

Last edited:

TopekaRoy

The Wizard of OZ
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm not as worried about the offense as most people here seem to be. Remember this is a high risk/high reward offense. By design, there will be more sacks and more interceptions than in most other offensive schemes. There should also be more big plays, touchdowns and field goals. That's what you get with Martz and the Bears knew that when they hired him.

Yes, Chris Williams is a big concern. The Bears will probably have to keep a tight end (or "h-back") in to help him out and that will reduce the number of weapons we have on passing plays. Hopefully, J'Marcus Webb develops quickly and can replace Williams.

But overall I think the offense will do well. The run game looks quite a bit better than last year, and that should open up the passing game a bit.

I'm more worried about our defensive depth at this point. Right now we have 3 linebackers (Urlacher, Briggs and Roach) and 3 Safeties (Wright, Steltz and Bullocks) out with injuries. Most of those players should be able to play in week one and that will definitely help, but this defense can't afford injuries.

(I know I'm gonna take heat for this...) Everybody hates the Tampa 2/cover 2 defense, but it is designed to get turnovers, and the Bears are going to need every TO they can get to add possessions and shorten the field. Actually, the Bears don't play cover 2 nearly as much as most people think they do, but when they do play it, it has to work. That requires a very good secondary, and I'm not sure if the Bears secondary is good enough, but we'll see when everyone gets healthy again.

There's still 2 more weeks to practice before the season starts. The Bears should still beat the Lions and will probably lose to the Cowboys, but I don't think we'll really know where the Bears stand until week 2.

I still think they will be a pretty good team this year, but they have a lot of work to do before they get there. The O'line has to get better, and the defense has to stop teams on third down. If they can do those 2 things, (and that's a big "if") they should be fine.

bnancs

Liked Posts:
My two cents is that most people (or at least the most vocal) are indeed over-reacting. Yes, Lefty's points about what should be taken from preseason are valid, but those thinking along those lines are not thinking all the way through:
Is CW being beat way too often in 1 on 1's? Absolutely.
Does this indicate that he may be beat too often in 1 on 1's in the reg. Season? Of course.
(The vocal crowd stops thinking at this point, and declares the Bears dead or whatever)
Here's the next question you should be asking -
If CW is getting beat 1 on 1 in a reg season game, will he continue to get put in a 1 on 1 - or will Martz/Tice adjust the blocking scheme as needed? I know the concept of adjustments was forgotten during the Turner era, but both of these coaches have shown throughout their careers that they can and will make the necessary adjustments during games. Coaches are learning about their own guys' shortcomings - knowledge which will enable them to (in theory) put together the right plans when it matters.

As for other concerns- CHarris taking bad angles/missing a key tackle in the hole? Yeah, it's not good. But he's proven himself to be a solid player in this league for several years now. I'll choose to believe that is more indicative of how he will play than three or four plays during a preseason game. We shall see.

Also, for those who say our starters are getting their asses kicked - not really. 2 TD's allowed in 3 quarters without any of our starting LB's (maybe Pisa, that's not the point) is not getting their asses kicked. The offense was moving the ball pretty well several times, despite being out of sync. Adjust the protections as I expect we will, and several negative plays which killed possesions have a chance to succeed. Don't run a reverse or the wildcat at the wrong times and those drives probably score.

Finally, it happens every year. Many, many teams come out for game 1 and look completely different than they did in the preseason. People seem to forget it every year, but it's true. And it's why there is no way to tell who will do what by watching preseason games. It's been true for a long time and will continue to be true, no matter how many fans forget it each year.

So, I for one will wait and see, and hope for the best. I certainly won't assume that the team I love will be garbage because of a handful of preseason plays. And IMO, neither should anyone else, although I do recognize your right to react the way you choose to.

Last edited:

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
I also think people overreacting about the Defense the last 2 games in insane. Are we quick to forget that Urlacher hasn't been playing? We all saw how bad we were when he was out last year. Let's just see how the defense does as a whole unit before we throw away the season.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I also think people overreacting about the Defense the last 2 games in insane. Are we quick to forget that Urlacher hasn't been playing? We all saw how bad we were when he was out last year. Let's just see how the defense does as a whole unit before we throw away the season.

My concern is the injuries in the defense. While Urlacher probably could have played...whats to say he can stay healthy during the regular season. That of Briggs and Roach as well..And our safeties there is always a revolving door of those. Injuries happen, but we need key personnel to stay as healthy as possible.

That said..With Briggs and Urlacher the defense is light years ahead of what it is without them and likely doesnt get picked apart completely in the middle when they are there (Or so we hope).

regoob2

Liked Posts:
Who cares about the D. Were a zone team who is playing man to man. Of course were gonna get torched. Where it counts, up front, we're playing great. Peppers is a beast. Tommie is making plays and blowing up gaps. Marcus Harrison is looking much better (any finally looks in shape) and Idonije is playing well.

My concern is our OL is getting killed one on one and our WRs still cant get open against other teams vanilla D.

RustedShut

Liked Posts:
Yes, a lot of teams LOSE preseason games. But their starters make a GOOD showing and then their scrubs lose the games. Our starters SUCK and our backups SUCK and that's why we lose every week!

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I hear an old friend will probably call in tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.