It's so obvious Bears are picking Nelson

theOHIOSTATE!

Liked Posts:
All I have to say is that I think they take him if he is there, but he BETTER BE A MULTI YR ALL PRO Type player by his 2nd yr, or this pick will be a flub to some extent.

It's also hilarious seeing ND fan getting all excited over the kid, but I guess when your program is largely irrelevant at the elite national level and has been for many yrs (decades yet?) that's what you have left.

They do produce some good OLman though, or have of late.

Ward was my guy and now he is the consensus top CB; funny how that happened. If we don't get DB help this yr in the draft, that will be a top target in next yr's offseason I would guess.

Washington

Liked Posts:
All I have to say is that I think they take him if he is there, but he BETTER BE A MULTI YR ALL PRO Type player by his 2nd yr, or this pick will be a flub to some extent.

It's also hilarious seeing ND fan getting all excited over the kid, but I guess when your program is largely irrelevant at the elite national level and has been for many yrs (decades yet?) that's what you have left.

They do produce some good OLman though, or have of late.

Ward was my guy and now he is the consensus top CB; funny how that happened. If we don't get DB help this yr in the draft, that will be a top target in next yr's offseason I would guess.

Assuming Chubb and Nelson are gone, Ward is definitely my pick. And I concur, ND has been laughable.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
People need to stop saying O-Linemen are sure-fire Hall of Famers. The vast majority of the time, it’s just not true.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
That is what I'm thinking too, but if there is a run on QBs early (up to 4) then it is not likely that Nelson goes before, Chubb or Barkley, but that still leaves the opportunity for Tampa who needs help on the o-line.

So, yes if Nelson is available he just might be the best option.
I could see Pace trading up one spot to get Nelson.

1000ftditka!

Throbbing
Liked Posts:
Civilization, also known as Massachusetts
I could see Pace trading up one spot to get Nelson.

[video=youtube;kdOPBP9vuZA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdOPBP9vuZA[/video]

That's be sooooo"Pace?!"

Liked Posts:
Let's just face the facts here guys, whether you think Guard is to high for a top ten pick or not, the writing is pretty much on the wall. If Nelson is on the board at 8 (Hell, Pace might even trade up for him given his past), that will be the Bears pick. Let's review why this is a very high possibility.

- Kush/Morgan/Watford are not starting material. Nothing but depth.

- How reliable is the aging Kyle Long?

- Nelson, if available, will be BPA bar none. He's pretty much guaranteed to be a HOF player. We're talking Joe Thomas type career here.

- We hired his effing OL coach from Notre Dame who is best in class

- Nelson has gone on record stating he hopes the Bears draft him. I know, doesn't mean much but always something you would prefer to hear.

- We have a young QB, young backs, young TE's and Allen Robinson. Makes sense to solidify your OL with the best o-lineman in the draft

Hate to burst all of your bubbles, but Nelson will be the pick. Only way I see it turning out differently is if the Bears trade down. Flame away.

Man are you going to be pissed when they don't take him.

Liked Posts:

I really hope Pace doesnt use the 8th pick on a Guard. IMO its crazy when a good guard like Whitehair was picked in round 3. I would rather trade back get the extra picks & get a friggin RT instead a guard. If we need anything on this O-Line its a RT.

house23

Liked Posts:
I really hope Pace doesnt use the 8th pick on a Guard. IMO its crazy when a good guard like Whitehair was picked in round 3. I would rather trade back get the extra picks & get a friggin RT instead a guard. If we need anything on this O-Line its a RT.
Why can't Nelson play RT? I believe he was recruited by ND at tackle but then moved to guard based on need and who they currently had at the tackle positions. Stanley was at LT, and McGlinchey was at RT.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

You are one of those people that thinks the Bears can just make a unilateral trade back. Doesn't always work like that skipper. Whitehair was picked in 2 btw.

Liked Posts:
You are one of those people that thinks the Bears can just make a unilateral trade back. Doesn't always work like that skipper. Whitehair was picked in 2 btw.

Where did you come up with that one camper? I've stated plenty of times that I believe there is A LOT of under rated talent worthy of being taken at #8 at multiple positions(WR, CB, OLB, etc.). Just because someone mentions something like trading back as a possibility, it doesn't mean I think the draft is suddenly an automatic in an XBOX game. Trading back isn't as far fetched as you think. There are 4 QBs worthy of being taken anywhere in round 1 for teams that need a QB. If you can't learn from, God knows how many draft patterns, you've seen in the past to help you see that chances are significant enough to consider that at least one of those top 4 QBs will be on the board when the Bears pick at number 8#, then you're smokin' banana peels.

Again I hate to burst your Nelson hard on that media "experts" have encouraged you to get, for a kid deemed to already be a a future HOFer, when his play looks more like Richie Incognito without the off the field issues, but if Pace gets a decent offer he will trade back this year with QB needy teams looking to trade up & be able to do so with out trading up for the cost of moving into the top 5, he will move back. This is the first time in Paces career with the Bears that they have been light on picks. If there is a deal he is going to make it.

Round 2 blah blah blah...Still a far cry from #8. I bet your a grammar Nazi too.

Liked Posts:
Why can't Nelson play RT? I believe he was recruited by ND at tackle but then moved to guard based on need and who they currently had at the tackle positions. Stanley was at LT, and McGlinchey was at RT.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Why can he? Because he did it among kids in high school so now he can suddenly do the same among men at the highest level of football competition on earth? Posters like you crack me up. When someone like myself utters the notion of kicking a PROVEN NFL commodity at RG with Kyle Long, who actually did play OT & OG in DIV 1, out to OT, posters like you flip your shit over it.

But now you have a hard on over a specific OG with Nelson & you suddenly want to use the argument of supposed versatility to drive home your point to waste the #8 pick on an OG .

On the topic of Kyle Long who actually is a proven NFL talent at OG, the Bears used their first pick on him in 2013 & the impact that pick made on this team for the better has been very minimal. The Bears don't need to waste the 8th pick in the draft to get a stand out OG who has no significant history of playing OT beyond the high school level.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
https://t.co/3vVWELZ87p

The Bears Have Been Strangely Quiet At This Position So Far

It’s been stated time and again that the Chicago Bears brain trust will reveal nothing before the NFL draft. Truly it’s almost comical how good they’ve become at limiting any rumors regarding their intentions. Of course, the campaign of secrecy last year before the Mitch Trubisky pick was brilliant. Odds are GM Ryan Pace is conducting many of the same maneuvers regarding any favorite prospects this year.

So who might they be? Again, that’s beyond difficult to say. Everybody has a theory and each theory carries some merit. It’s Quenton Nelson because of his connection to O-line coach Harry Hiestand. It’s Bradley Chubb because they desperately need a pass rusher. Or it’s Tremaine Edmunds because he’s a freak of nature and Pace likes those.

Often in these situations, it’s best to look not at the positions of need so much as the positions that haven’t seen much action prior to the draft. In examining the Bears’ work to this point, there is one area that has been conspicuously silent for over a month.

Chicago Bears have remained radio silent at safety
Remember that this is Pace, right? In three previous off-seasons, he has frantically reworked the safety position. In 2015 he signed Antrel Rolle. A year later it was Deon Bush and DeAndre Houston-Carson. This past season he signed Quintin Demps. So far in 2018 though? Nothing. To date, the only move made was cutting Demps after his injury-shortened season last year.

This is curious for a number of reasons. For one both Houston-Carson and projected starter Adrian Amos are free agents next year. The defense doesn’t have a ton of veteran experience at the position. Last but not least, there are several notable names still on the market who remain untouched. This would seem to signal the Bears have big plans for safety in the draft.

Chad Forbes
@NFLDraftBites
Denzel Ward and it’s not really close. With Eddie Jackson & Amos safety situation decent. Not adding Vet Depth in FA tells Mock drafter they’re looking at Safeties early. But Ward is potentially special. Not ideal scheme fit but better player. https://twitter.com/seanlikesthings/status/982762217375494144

This might surprise some people after how Amos played last year and the arrival of Eddie Jackson. However, there was a rumbling not too long ago that the Bears were searching for somebody new. One must not forget that Amos was benched last year. If Demps hadn’t gotten hurt, he never would’ve seen the field again. This would lead one to believe Vic Fangio may not be his biggest fan.

Combine that with a strong safety crop in the draft and it raises all sorts of intrigue about what the Bears may actually have planned for their #8 overall pick.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
https://t.co/3vVWELZ87p

The Bears Have Been Strangely Quiet At This Position So Far

It’s been stated time and again that the Chicago Bears brain trust will reveal nothing before the NFL draft. Truly it’s almost comical how good they’ve become at limiting any rumors regarding their intentions. Of course, the campaign of secrecy last year before the Mitch Trubisky pick was brilliant. Odds are GM Ryan Pace is conducting many of the same maneuvers regarding any favorite prospects this year.

So who might they be? Again, that’s beyond difficult to say. Everybody has a theory and each theory carries some merit. It’s Quenton Nelson because of his connection to O-line coach Harry Hiestand. It’s Bradley Chubb because they desperately need a pass rusher. Or it’s Tremaine Edmunds because he’s a freak of nature and Pace likes those.

Often in these situations, it’s best to look not at the positions of need so much as the positions that haven’t seen much action prior to the draft. In examining the Bears’ work to this point, there is one area that has been conspicuously silent for over a month.

Chicago Bears have remained radio silent at safety
Remember that this is Pace, right? In three previous off-seasons, he has frantically reworked the safety position. In 2015 he signed Antrel Rolle. A year later it was Deon Bush and DeAndre Houston-Carson. This past season he signed Quintin Demps. So far in 2018 though? Nothing. To date, the only move made was cutting Demps after his injury-shortened season last year.

This is curious for a number of reasons. For one both Houston-Carson and projected starter Adrian Amos are free agents next year. The defense doesn’t have a ton of veteran experience at the position. Last but not least, there are several notable names still on the market who remain untouched. This would seem to signal the Bears have big plans for safety in the draft.

Chad Forbes
@NFLDraftBites
Denzel Ward and it’s not really close. With Eddie Jackson & Amos safety situation decent. Not adding Vet Depth in FA tells Mock drafter they’re looking at Safeties early. But Ward is potentially special. Not ideal scheme fit but better player. https://twitter.com/seanlikesthings/status/982762217375494144

This might surprise some people after how Amos played last year and the arrival of Eddie Jackson. However, there was a rumbling not too long ago that the Bears were searching for somebody new. One must not forget that Amos was benched last year. If Demps hadn’t gotten hurt, he never would’ve seen the field again. This would lead one to believe Vic Fangio may not be his biggest fan.

Combine that with a strong safety crop in the draft and it raises all sorts of intrigue about what the Bears may actually have planned for their #8 overall pick.
Damn good points..............One proven point is that you never know what Pace is going to do on draft day. You could do a lot worse than James or Fitzpatrick at #8 and both could be plug and play difference makers on defense.

April 26 can't get here fast enough.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Where did you come up with that one camper? I've stated plenty of times that I believe there is A LOT of under rated talent worthy of being taken at #8 at multiple positions(WR, CB, OLB, etc.). Just because someone mentions something like trading back as a possibility, it doesn't mean I think the draft is suddenly an automatic in an XBOX game. Trading back isn't as far fetched as you think. There are 4 QBs worthy of being taken anywhere in round 1 for teams that need a QB. If you can't learn from, God knows how many draft patterns, you've seen in the past to help you see that chances are significant enough to consider that at least one of those top 4 QBs will be on the board when the Bears pick at number 8#, then you're smokin' banana peels.

Again I hate to burst your Nelson hard on that media "experts" have encouraged you to get, for a kid deemed to already be a a future HOFer, when his play looks more like Richie Incognito without the off the field issues, but if Pace gets a decent offer he will trade back this year with QB needy teams looking to trade up & be able to do so with out trading up for the cost of moving into the top 5, he will move back. This is the first time in Paces career with the Bears that they have been light on picks. If there is a deal he is going to make it.

Round 2 blah blah blah...Still a far cry from #8. I bet your a grammar Nazi too.

* youre :smug2: