Jackson Powers-Johnson

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Cushenberry in FA and JPJ after a trade down would be great. JPJ could start at RG and slide over to C if Cushenberry gets hurt. Keep Davis on the bench.
Has JPJ ever played G? He was only a starter at C for 1 year, never played G as far as I can tell.

Was a backup in 2022.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Cushenberry in FA and JPJ after a trade down would be great. JPJ could start at RG and slide over to C if Cushenberry gets hurt. Keep Davis on the bench.
No. Davis signed for $10 mil per year. Even after a down year you're not going to be actively looking to replace him, let alone trading out of a premium asset like the 9th overall pick in order to do it.

With Williams in the fold, I think it would be borderline irresponsible to not give him another premium pass catcher. Kmet is reliable but not dynamic and we've got nothing outside of DJ Moore right now. You see what having Devonte Smith and AJ Brown has done for Hurts. We want that for Williams, come hell or high water.

It's why if Atlanta was offering #8, #43 and perhaps a future 4th that could become a 3rd if Fields hits some performance marks for Fields and #9, I'd take that deal and roll. Hopping Atlanta gives us that much better a chance at securing one of Nabers, Odunze or Bowers. You've got a FA center and then you perhaps use that 2nd round pick on a quality center/guard prospect as a backup and a 2025 replacement for Davis. Best allocation of resources by far, IMO.

dennehy

Liked Posts:

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
No. Davis signed for $10 mil per year. Even after a down year you're not going to be actively looking to replace him, let alone trading out of a premium asset like the 9th overall pick in order to do it.

With Williams in the fold, I think it would be borderline irresponsible to not give him another premium pass catcher. Kmet is reliable but not dynamic and we've got nothing outside of DJ Moore right now. You see what having Devonte Smith and AJ Brown has done for Hurts. We want that for Williams, come hell or high water.

It's why if Atlanta was offering #8, #43 and perhaps a future 4th that could become a 3rd if Fields hits some performance marks for Fields and #9, I'd take that deal and roll. Hopping Atlanta gives us that much better a chance at securing one of Nabers, Odunze or Bowers. You've got a FA center and then you perhaps use that 2nd round pick on a quality center/guard prospect as a backup and a 2025 replacement for Davis. Best allocation of resources by far, IMO.

In this hypothetical, the bears trade down from #1 and pick up JPJ with #40

Enasic

Liked Posts:
A few games at G, not the starter initially (until their second to last game), not sure that's a ringing endorsement as far as his ability to start there in the NFL.
He has 351 snaps at OG, predominantly at RG. If poles and co don’t believe he could play OG, then go Barton instead.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
He has 351 snaps at OG, predominantly at RG. If poles and co don’t believe he could play OG, then go Barton instead.
To me, as much as people hate of Davis, he's been an above average starter for most of his career and is going to go into camp as the starter most likely. I think they need someone who can back up at all three IOL spots and then hopefully move into a starting G in year two. For me, that would be 1. Barton 2. Frazier. I'm less certain about JPJ being a long-term option at G.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I realize this would be blasphemy, but if the Bears truly believed that Powers-Johnson could fix the biggest need on this franchise for the next 10 years, and I would be fine choosing him at nine. But then all of the folks talking about value positions would jump ugly on the board, yet we’ve watched three years of our quarterback, getting absolutely crushed with a rush up the middle over the center.
Too rich for me.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Has JPJ ever played G? He was only a starter at C for 1 year, never played G as far as I can tell.

Was a backup in 2022.
ARGH!!!!

No more shuffling. If he’s a center, then play him at fucking center.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
ARGH!!!!

No more shuffling. If he’s a center, then play him at fucking center.
Looks like he did play some G in 2022, but I think he's a center and that's where I think he should be drafted.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
To me, as much as people hate of Davis, he's been an above average starter for most of his career and is going to go into camp as the starter most likely. I think they need someone who can back up at all three IOL spots and then hopefully move into a starting G in year two. For me, that would be 1. Barton 2. Frazier. I'm less certain about JPJ being a long-term option at G.

That’s fair. I agree they definitely need to find a guy who could play both C/OG with starting potential. Regarding Davis, he’s always been meh and very inconsistent. He’s much better as a run blocker than he is at pass pro and he’s missed a number of games each of the past three seasons.

Is he passable for next year? Sure….but I’d look to upgrade there. Poles took a swing on Davis which was pretty questionable at the time, and it didn’t pan out after year 1. It doesn’t save much money to cut him, so let him battle it out with a rookie for the starting spot, and if it’s close, give those reps to the rookie for development.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
That’s fair. I agree they definitely need to find a guy who could play both C/OG with starting potential. Regarding Davis, he’s always been meh and very inconsistent. He’s much better as a run blocker than he is at pass pro and he’s missed a number of games each of the past three seasons.

Is he passable for next year? Sure….but I’d look to upgrade there. Poles took a swing on Davis which was pretty questionable at the time, and it didn’t pan out after year 1. It doesn’t save much money to cut him, so let him battle it out with a rookie for the starting spot, and if it’s close, give those reps to the rookie for development.

Did you watch him much in TEN or is that based on PFF? I watched quite a bit. I think he was certainly above average, although absolutely not a great pass blocker, agree there.

Either way, if he doesn't improve he will be gone after 24. And I think there's a good chance Jenkins is gone too, so they definitely need to draft an IOL in the first rounds this year.

Canth

Liked Posts:

I think it would be good to draft more young OL at guard to develop behind both Jenkins and Davis. Both of those guys have missed time, so you need the depth. Anywhere in rounds 3-5 would be good to find some guys to develop.

I hope the Bears can find a high 2nd round pick in a trade (whether that is a trade down or Fields or whatever) and that they spend that on a center to become their key middle OL guy for the next 10-15 years.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Looks like he did play some G in 2022, but I think he's a center and that's where I think he should be drafted.
My anger about the shuffling isn’t directed towards you, but the idea. Poles has said he likes versatility on the line, but that’s a lie because Nate Davis can only play RG apparently. Meanwhile, lining Teven next to Wright was a wrecking crew.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats

Davis was hurt a lot. I’m skeptical on any grade of him last season.