Jackson Powers-Johnson

Canth

Liked Posts:
I realize this would be blasphemy, but if the Bears truly believed that Powers-Johnson could fix the biggest need on this franchise for the next 10 years, and I would be fine choosing him at nine. But then all of the folks talking about value positions would jump ugly on the board, yet we’ve watched three years of our quarterback, getting absolutely crushed with a rush up the middle over the center.

The Bears have enough needs that they cannot afford to just lock in on one guy to exclusion of better value or talent when it's available.

Theoretically, that is always the case and essentially was the argument when Poles drafted in the secondary his first draft over say a WR.

Personally, I would love for Odunze or Nabors to be there at #9 and then you just stay there and take whichever of those two is there - if one of them really even drops down that far. It could very easily be the case that the top 3 WR and top OL in Alt is gone before the Bears pick at #9. I think that is where you explore the trade down unless they just really value Bowers that highly.

I really really want the Bears to focus on offense this offseason and make the moves to maximize building the offense around whichever QB they go with.

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Where did I say that we shouldn't try and address this in FA too?
Umm you said trade down and double dip in the trenches.

I'm curious though why do you think they're going to keep Justin Fields after what Brad Biggs reported this week?

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Umm you said trade down and double dip in the trenches.

I'm curious though why do you think they're going to keep Justin Fields after what Brad Biggs reported this week?
Trenches could mean either line. Also FA and the draft aren't mutually exclusive.

And as far as my reasoning goes, I don't trust anything anyone is reporting. It's all speculative at this point. Logic here:

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Trenches could mean either line.

And as far as my reasoning goes, I don't trust anything anyone is reporting. It's all speculative at this point. Logic here:

So you think the Bears are going to make their decision on these guys throwing in the underwear Olympics?

My bet is Williams will not be throwing at the Combine so if the timetable holds true they will be making a decision before he ever throws in front of them.

USC pro day is March 20th.

The Bears have made the decision to move on from Justin Fields they're just going to decide who to take.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Trenches could mean either line. Also FA and the draft aren't mutually exclusive.

Trenches!

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
As my Dad used to say, Biff is enough to piss off the good humor man

UChiLAbear

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
This dude has the blackest name ever. Sounds like a giant fro-bearing character from a 70s action movie. Anyways...

Any thoughts here? Center is a HUGE priority as far as I'm concerned and he looks to be one of the best in this class.

This is based on me watching YouTube, reading Twitter comments, and just generally reading tea leaves. I barely watch college football, let alone offensive lineman snaps from the Pacific Northwest.

Just keeping it real.

But the guy looks real good. gEneRaTIonAL. And center is arguably our biggest need if we don't address it in FA.

My guess is he is a late first round early second.

Thoughts?
Definitely want to see him in a Bears uniform.......but there are some who still insists we need a LT.....which I totally disagree with....but everyone is entitled to their opinion, even when it's wrong......

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
So you think the Bears are going to make their decision on these guys throwing in the underwear Olympics?
That's only one piece of it. In person meetings are important for both the Bears and other teams.

If other teams fall in love, it could impact what they are willing to send to the Bears for #1. And then there's what others may be willing to give us for Fields.

I don't think all the cards are on the table yet and Poles seems like a thorough guy.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
14, 12, and 11 GP each of the last three seasons so yeah…he’s hurt quite a bit and I’m not optimistic it will trend in the right direction
Yeah I’m not sure there are great examples of guys who all of sudden were healthy.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:

My bet is Williams will not be throwing at the Combine so if the timetable holds true they will be making a decision before he ever throws in front of them.

USC pro day is March 20th.

The Bears have made the decision to move on from Justin Fields they're just going to decide who to take.
And Free Agency starts March 13. I still think Fields gets dealt before that and like you said, which QB to draft will be made later.

UChiLAbear

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
Yup. Not saying don't draft the guy.... I'd love it. But there better be a FA signed that's starter capable before the draft.
I tend to agree with this, however do you have any intel on Kramer who was drafted out of Illinois couple years back? Can he be plugged in for a season while JPJ learns the 'ropes'?

EDPeezy

Liked Posts:
The Bears are too cheap to pay a guy like Davis 10 million a year and bench him. He’s starting this season. They can cut him after this year, but for now he’s playing.

And the Bears know they’re taking Williams. This idea that they haven’t made up their mind and they have to see him in the combine and at his pro day and they need to talk to him is somewhat nonsense. I’m sure there’s an extremely extremely minuscule chance of him doing something that turns them off. Like fractions of a percent. They’ve watched the tape. They’ve done the real homework. Short of him just absolutely bombing the pre draft process which is kind of impossible with how much these guys are coached on what to do, say, etc. he’s coming to Chicago.

Last edited:

UChiLAbear

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
I realize this would be blasphemy, but if the Bears truly believed that Powers-Johnson could fix the biggest need on this franchise for the next 10 years, and I would be fine choosing him at nine. But then all of the folks talking about value positions would jump ugly on the board, yet we’ve watched three years of our quarterback, getting absolutely crushed with a rush up the middle over the center.
You have a valid premise, not that I agree totally with it, but valid none the less.....A Top 10 pick should, in all circumstances, be a player who 1) who is an Immediate Starter,,,......2) A permanent fix ( in football terms, up to 10 -12 years) .......3) become part of making the team better and closer to a Championship....4) Be a Pro Bowl level player within 2-3 years........this being for teams that are bad and picking in the Top 10 because they are bad......so if JPJ would fulfill this criteria immediately, I would have no problem w/da Bears drafting him a 9. We all know it's unequivocable, that da Bears need a 'lights out' C. I'm not for drafting him at 9, but if Poles & Co. thinks, as Monk says.."he's the guy", then I'll back it.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I tend to agree with this, however do you have any intel on Kramer who was drafted out of Illinois couple years back? Can he be plugged in for a season while JPJ learns the 'ropes'?
Biggest news he ever made was getting hurt. He’s just a guy fighting to stay on a roster at this point

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Cushenberry in FA and JPJ after a trade down would be great. JPJ could start at RG and slide over to C if Cushenberry gets hurt. Keep Davis on the bench.
Why open another hole when it's not needed? Davis should be our starting RG next year not a $10 mil bench player.