Jed Hoyer Disses Cubs Fans

TL1961

Liked Posts:
The Cubs would still have had the sixth pick and could have signed Soler. Im fine with some patience but you are stretching it. Bryant and next year pick are the only thing we would have been giving up. This team as it stands is worse then last years team. Unless they make some splashes it will be to start the season. Its hard to rely on prospects to come up and rake from the start. Rarely happens.

What's the difference if you win 65 or 71?

The Cubs, for years, have thought they were close and put bandaids on the team and kidded themselves into thinking they were contenders.

No thanks!

People are complaining that a) the Cubs haven't won in years, and b) they're not taking the same approach they always have. Makes no sense.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
What's the difference if you win 65 or 71?

The Cubs, for years, have thought they were close and put bandaids on the team and kidded themselves into thinking they were contenders.

No thanks!

People are complaining that a) the Cubs haven't won in years, and b) they're not taking the same approach they always have. Makes no sense.

Thats is nothing of what I am saying. But hey, go with how you feel.

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
Um, ok... no sense of urgency about being competitive or winning.

I forgot Cubs fans are whores for epic failure. All Ricketts has to do is keep the Bud cold and the manager on a short hook.

Typical sox fan obsessing over the cubs. Go away.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
SilenceS: I get that they should spend on a FA this year. They have spent the last 3 years overhauling the team and the farm.

They need to break it up in phases. With the new competitive rules in place: bad record= more to spend. It is that simple. Adding a F/A adds 5-6 wins at best. Those wins put the team in the 70's. Which means less to spend on talent and still not playing quality baseball.

Pretty pointless to go half-way. Have Togo all in on the rebuild or funding a champ. There is no middle ground.

Flacco4Prez

Liked Posts:
Cubs won't get Tanaka, but they will still be the best team in Chicago. Their ML team is awful but so is the South side and they have an awful farm to boot. If your going to be awful at the ML level, mine as well build up the farm. I don't understand the obsession of becoming a .500 team. Nobody cares about being .500. Now that Rose is out for the Bulls I hope they become lottery bound. Same in any other sport.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Cubs won't get Tanaka, but they will still be the best team in Chicago. Their ML team is awful but so is the South side and they have an awful farm to boot. If your going to be awful at the ML level, mine as well build up the farm. I don't understand the obsession of becoming a .500 team. Nobody cares about being .500. Now that Rose is out for the Bulls I hope they become lottery bound. Same in any other sport.

Wait. The Sox had career worst offenses. They are clearly the superior mlb team. And they are most likely to be in the playoffs before the Cubs. Come on now put down the kool aid

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

Flacco4Prez

Liked Posts:
Wait. The Sox had career worst offenses. They are clearly the superior mlb team. And they are most likely to be in the playoffs before the Cubs. Come on now put down the kool aid

Yeah because the team is bad. Nobody to protect one another. There is absolutely no player on that team that an opposing pitcher would fear. Neither team will be in the playoffs the next 3 years, but at least the Cubs have some reinforcements in the farm. White Sox have a bottom 5 ML team and a bottom 5 farm. Sorry but that doesn't strike fear into me

chibears55

Liked Posts:

it will be quite a while before the white sox sniff the playoffs. . not much in their system a so so major league team and they have to contend with quite a few very good AL teams. NL not as strong.. prob. take close to 90 wins to make AL POs, close to 85 could get you in NL POs..

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
The White Sox are known for making roster moves, the Cubs are known for losing. I'm not trying to be condescending, it's just matter of fact. I don't lose sleep worrying about the Sox getting better, because they have an active front office that has won a world championship. In short, I have faith in the White Sox. The Cubs have a lot of work to do if they want to change their image as a loser franchise. I have little patience for Cubs fans' fanatical loyalty to that organization, but I respect them for being the longest suffering fans in history. They deserve better than what this ownership/management team has offered. If the MLB would have let Mark Cuban buy the team, I truly believe you guys would be a contender for the NL Central at the very least right now, and rightfully so.

Let's not make this thread a discussion about White Sox vs. Cubs, because the Sox have been the superior organization for the better part of 20 years now. It's the Cubs turn to shine; I want that, and Cubs fans want that. So let's stick to the topic and respect this forum (Cubs).

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Dude they tried to shed the Monkier buy investing heavy for most of the 00's. It got them nothing.

The best team in the 00's was 03 and that was home grown talent and hold overs. They traded up for the push.

07: F/A and 0-3 08: 0-3 with carry over.

The team could have had a solid run if Wood and Prior did not blow up. But if you think about it you can also blame the farm for not producing quality arms. Look at teams that are sucessful. Braves: stacked. Cards: stacked. Rangers: stacked. All always have a hot arm upwelling vs the 1 per 10 year run that the Cubs have done.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Think of it this way. They started with Wood, Prior, and Z. Home grown. Traded Pitching (that became MLB quality) for Clement and signed 1 F/A. Next year signed Maddux and lost to injury. After Only had Marshall and Hill. Both ended up BP arms.

We can point to a lacking in the system here. How did they solve the rotation? Convert Demp, signed Lilly and Marquez. Again no in house solutions.

What has been the focus sense Theo has taken over? Stock piling pitching for 2 years in a row. Guess that is why he gets paid millions. He gets it.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Stock piling pitching for 2 years in a row. Guess that is why he gets paid millions. He gets it.

They have???

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Yeah because the team is bad. Nobody to protect one another. There is absolutely no player on that team that an opposing pitcher would fear. Neither team will be in the playoffs the next 3 years, but at least the Cubs have some reinforcements in the farm. White Sox have a bottom 5 ML team and a bottom 5 farm. Sorry but that doesn't strike fear into me

:lol: please have a designated driver

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
They have???

He actually has. He has used his first round picks on bats and then from 2 on he has drafted a shit ton of pitchers. He has done this two years in a row.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
A team would want to be at least .500 so that people with TV sets are willing to watch the product. Fewer TV sets means less negotiating power when they try to get their own network.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
And none of those pitchers are prospects sans Edwards in trade. Not a good stockpile

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
And none of those pitchers are prospects sans Edwards in trade. Not a good stockpile

Paul Blackburn is. He's a top 10 prospect on some lists. Rob Zastryzny rated in at 16th on cub's den list. Duane Underwood rated in at 17th. Tyler Skulina, Eric Leal, and Jen Ho Tseng are other names just outside the top 20.

Also this link talks about Theo and companies approach
http://www.chicagonow.com/cubs-den/...bs-plan-to-attack-power-pitching-with-volume/

It's been the pattern so far. Here's a quick look at the inventory of potential power pitchers the Cubs have acquired since this front office took over during the 2011 offseason...

Jake Arrieta
C.J. Edwards
Pedro Strop
Justin Grimm
Neil Ramirez
Arodys Vizcaino
Corey Black
Armando Rivero
Pierce Johnson
Paul Blackburn
Duane Underwood
Ryan McNeil
Josh Conway
Juan Carlos Paniagua
Zach Cates
Hunter Cervenka
Trey Lang
Rob Zastryzny
Tyler Skulina
Trey Masek
Scott Frazier
Trevor Clifton
Erling Moreno
Jefferson Mejia
Jen-Ho Tseng

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
If being a Sox fan has taught me anything about farm systems, its this:

I wont trash any teams prospects until they've hit the majors and had some time under their belt.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
If being a Sox fan has taught me anything about farm systems, its this:

I wont trash any teams prospects until they've hit the majors and had some time under their belt.

Shouldn't it be the opposite since so many White Sox prospects have blown chunks?