Jernigan slapping olinemen down

Liked Posts:
Yes and he did first before anyone else....

Another DT that was a mystery to me & would love to see on the roster if it weren't for all of the injuries he suffered, was Dominique Easley. I liked him as a player almost as much as Donald. I love Dominique Easley's raw skillset but the injuries are just too overwhelming. He has all of the ingredients to dominate as a 3-Tech, & enough power to play as a smaller shade, if he stays healthy.

Add me to any lists of posters who really didn't like Jernigan either, not to be our 3-Tech at least. A damn good Shade DT? Maybe, ok, I can see that, it's not hard to build raw strength & power so it's definitely achievable. However you can't coach that quick twitch & snap off the LOS that Donald & Sutton have & Jernigan doesn't, & he doesn't, at least not like Donald, Easley, & Sutton. But again that's not to say he can't succeed as a 1 gap Shade or a 2-Gap NT, if he adds more power. A lot of teams/fans say their players look great in TC. Even when it comes to the young players I'm pulling for on the Bears like Jones & Greene, at the end of the day, even though they may look good in TC, & it's encouraging, they haven't played one meaningful snap yet. I'm still not sold on Jernigan at least as a 3-Tech. I dreaded the idea of taking this kid over Donald or Sutton before the draft. He wears out late in Games, he didn't display that quick twitch & excess power in college, & disappeared in FS's Bowl Game. He may end up great, but he hasn't proven anything yet.

Anyway, I like the 3-Tech that Emery picked. I think people are going to love Sutton in a couple of years if they're fair to the kid & patient with his progression. I'll take Sutton at 285-290 where he belongs over Jernigan any day. With the big zone blocking trend currently in these spread offenses that evolved from the earlier WC systems, a defense must have a smaller, quicker, stronger, more athletic 3-Tech in order to deal with the speed of zone blocking linemen. Zone Blockers on the interior are waiting & prepared for that bigger shade to draw the double, the 3-Tech must be a quick presence to deal with a faster zone blocker & be able to shut down the run.

I wanted Donald more than any other player but that's no big secret, but after him if he weren't available, Sutton was the guy. I think if Sutton stays healthy the people on here that trashed on him before the draft are going to end up loving this pick. IMO Sutton, Fuller & Carey are the best players from the Bears draft, & oh yeah Christian Jones was an UDFA steal too.

JErryAZuma

BallHawk/CardShark
Liked Posts:
Yes, obviously watching a fucking ball be kicked is more sophisticated than studying and analyzing playbooks/schemes/personnel and overall tendencies of players.

Brb ur gonna grill me n tell me all of the sophistication of soccer. Just l.o.l

I've always said football is seriously like a game of chess.

I love it when soccer and hockey fans try to tell me the complexity of that sport over football and just big guys hitting eachother. Id love for them to sit down and try to study a Mike Martz or Marc Trestman playbook.'its not like either of those sports where it's nonstop motion. It's a strategic game where a play, break in a player or out scheming your opponent is much more in depth than any other sport.

Football unfortunately is so damn violent it rightfully gets a bad rep, but as a game itself and the complexity and sophistication of figuring out plays, schemes and opponents.. People seriously underestimate how deep n perfect the game itself actually is. I love the highlight reels of the sport, but the actual game and how it's so much like a game of chess just amazes me. I'm constantly wondering what a DC or OC will call next and why.

Good point and I agree with ya except that NHL is also very strategic too. Also a constant chess match of matching personnel, (home team gets last change) and also have extensive plays and defensive sets it's not just skating back and forth without any direction. But a casual everyday fan wouldn't really recognize that which is the beauty of hockey, you don't have to know much to enjoys the hell out of a Hawks game. Just like you, I find myself doing the Same with hockey constantly wondering what made the coach switch up the lines how the offensive sets are different depending on teams and goalie, like knowing a goalie allows 25% more goals high to glove side, or knowing a team is not aggressive in defensive zone so there are hundreds of sets and cylcles that are uses against certain D.. playbooks are definately a lot more intricate in NFL though. But I also like looking deeper at game plans and tendencies. In both sports, maybe I'm biased though cause they are my favorite sports and play both of them still to this day. ( but the football is flag,and the hockey is a no open ice hits, can still board check though)

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I dare you to go sit down with some NHL hockey greats and tell them their game has no strategy, lol. What a fucking joke!

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Power was never Jernigan's problem, speed, explosion, and quickness were. The argument stemmed from a thread from Mike Mayock who made a statement about what the Bears should do if Jernigan is on the board at 14. Mayock stated "If Jernigan is on the board at 14 you sprint to the podium because he's an ideal 3-technique"

So if you gaggle of fucktards are going to try and celebrate something I supposedly evaluated that was wrong at least accurately recall what the argument was and was not about. I never called Jernigan's strength on tape into question I called out him NOT being a 3-technique you target at 14.
King of over statement and spin. " and even the guy I loathe Jernigan" The lack of filter and need to spout makes it difficult to ever know where you really stand.

0 Friends

BearsFan51 has not made any friends yet

Liked Posts:
I dare you to go sit down with some NHL hockey greats and tell them their game has no strategy, lol. What a fucking joke!

Yeah I don't get it. I didn't play Hockey but I did Soccer in Wayyy back in High school. Now I know they're entirely different games so I'll just get that right out of the way. However the two sports do have some similarities. The two sports both run very similar formations with a number of different plays that are set up for scoring & defense that change depending on the circumstances, set & reset frequently on the fly without a break in between each play. Unlike in football where play stops & a coach calls in the play from the sideline. In Soccer usually a teams Captain, preferably Center or HB or even best/smartest Wingman, has to signal the play to get set up in rhythm in order to score or defend, to me Hockey looks very similar in that aspect. The formations obviously are based on the strengths of the roster, & the given circumstances within the moment of play. Personally I really didn't care for soccer & really don't get into Hockey much either, but for anyone to say they don't have strategy is just plain idiotic, & probably hasn't played very many, if any team contact sports in their lives. Soccer & Hockey are non stop strategy. Boring as all fuck to me personally, but very physically demanding & full of strategy.

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I love football and I'm a huge fan, I'll get that out of the way. But hockey is the fastest game on earth and entirely played with strategy and teamwork. Every sport is played with strategy!!

I never had the opportunity to play football because I was a hockey player and hockey players weren't allowed to play football(I did play soccer and fastball too as summer dry land training). So I played enough sports to understand that they all have strategy involved, even curling and lawn bowling.

Ralpf

Liked Posts:
The difference is in how the strategy is applied, in sports where play is almost constant (hockey, soccer, basketball, etc.) the strategies are more overarching, you try to match personnel (except in Soccer where that happens mostly pregame because of limited subs), you can change up scheme, and you can call some plays during the action but they are usually fairly simple. But in football (Curling also and to a lesser extent baseball) with the action pausing between plays you can have a very specific strategy and personnel for just that one instance, and do something completely different the next play (I know you all know that, just specifying the difference).

To put it simply, all sports are strategic (except solo sports), but some are more tactical then others. And Football falls on the more tactical side.

Liked Posts:
I love football and I'm a huge fan, I'll get that out of the way. But hockey is the fastest game on earth and entirely played with strategy and teamwork. Every sport is played with strategy!!

I never had the opportunity to play football because I was a hockey player and hockey players weren't allowed to play football(I did play soccer and fastball too as summer dry land training). So I played enough sports to understand that they all have strategy involved, even curling and lawn bowling.

I didn't play football when I was in high school either. My High School was Class D with to small of a budget so we didn't have it. I had wait until I turned 18 to attend walk on tryouts for the local Empire Football League affiliate as a gunner on ST & a little SAM LB in my first season, & went from there, got bigger & stronger to eventually end up playing DT & some LDE in a small college a few years later. I hated growing up in school with limited options for extra curricular activities. The only thing I found I really enjoyed in High School was pitching on the baseball team & learning how to toss Uncle Charlies, slurves, changeups & sliders. But other than that the only sport I had ever wanted to play when I was kid was football.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers

You Canada guys and your hockey.

JErryAZuma

BallHawk/CardShark
Liked Posts:

I got away with playing both high school didn't have hockey but we were allowed to play for a different high school , however it got to be very overwhelming so junior year I stuck with football and played three years at St. Francis FW then I transferred to IPFW they only had rugby not football but had Club Ice Hockey still got to play teams like Purdue and other colleges that outclassed us but it was still great, but people that hate hockey just assume it's five retards with no teeth skating around in circles completely stupid , it is all strategy especially puck possession teams like (hawks) you don't get to stop every 3-9 seconds... also see some of the injuries these guys play with taking a slapper to the mouth and losing 4 fronts, see ya in another period, Bicks played with a torn ligament in his knee last cup run, he'll Zus was playing with a fractured wrist.. NFL players are definitely freaks of nature but 1 little bruise or hang nail it's fucking PUP, (Not old time football though they were tough as nails)