Jim Hendry is full of fail

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Uhm, as a Sox fan I hope that rumor goes the same way as the Mark Cuban for owner :)

I don't want to derail this thread but this idea that the Cubs would be in such a better place with Cuban is crazy. The only way the Cubs would be better right now is if they were going to spend their way out of their current problems, and Cuban specifically stated that he wans't going to spend like the Yankees.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I did read the article. I thought it presented the facts in a level-headed manner. It wasn't just a slam job on Wilken, and the reader was left to draw his on conclusion. My conclusion is that Wilken's ability to find major league talent has been well below average. It seemed like nearly all of his 2005-2009 picks have flamed out, but the most recent picks are the ones we are supposed to be in awe of. The article also stated that the Cubs had one of the best farm systems in the early-2000's, but by the end of the decade (aka "now') it had deteriorated into one of the worst.

A lot of that detoriation took place in the 2002-2005 time span however. He wasn't in charge of the draft until 2006, and in 2006 we didn't have picks from rounds 2-5 if I remember correctly due to signing free agents. Still that draft got us Tyler Colvin and Smaradzjia which are two guys that have produced at least a little on the big league level. The 07 draft got us James Russell, Darwin Barney, and two prospects used in big time trades (Brandon Guyer and Josh Donaldson). The 08 draft got us Cashner, Flaherty, Chris Carpenter, Casey Coleman, and Tony Campana. Health is an issue with Cashner obviously but that might be a homerun of a pick with several guys that could and have played useful roles on the big league club. The 09 draft was Brett Jackson, DJ LaMahieu, Robert Whitenack, Trey McNutt, and Nicholas Struck. Without injuries to Whitenack and McNutt we might have seen the top of the 09 draft by the end of this year. That said Brett Jackson looks to be a real solid pick especially considering how late the Cubs drafted in 09.

And lets be clear here the Cubs farm system is currently 16th. That is far from a great rating but you have to consider that is after trading away 2 top 100 prospects.

Last edited:

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, I don't really follow the Cubs farm system (just posted crap from an article). It just seemed like whoever they brought up was decidedly mediocre. Felix Pie wasn't very good, and Matt Murton was deadly dull. It seems like other teams can bring up players and they have a couple that become good starters. The Cubs never seem able to do that (other than Castro).

I understand the frustration. And I gladly concede that Wilken has yet to hit a homerun for the Cubs (though Cashner and Jackson might be those homeruns). The Cubs director of scouting before was John Stockstil, I believe he holds the same job with the Orioles now, who was much worse than Wilken. Also Felix Pie and Matt Murton were acquired prior to Wilken's hiring and neither were drafted by the Cubs. But both were failures after being highly touted prospects (more so Pie, I remember reading comparisons to Vlad when he was playing for Mesa).

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
But I could potentially get a better player with the sandwich pick than the guy that I get in a trade
Ok?

And that's not the point.

The point is that ending calls quickly for Marshall or Barney is Special person. Not that a guy we get with the pick or with the trade might flame out. It's that Hendry is a dumb ass for seeming so unwilling to even discuss trades for those guys to have options to begin with.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Ok?

And that's not the point.

The point is that ending calls quickly for Marshall or Barney is Special person. Not that a guy we get with the pick or with the trade might flame out. It's that Hendry is a dumb ass for seeming so unwilling to even discuss trades for those guys to have options to begin with.

does any team really want to trade for barney?

although i do agree about marshall...

again there's no point in cleaning house with the veterans...but imo some pieces will need to be traded in order for this team to improve(get rid of some contracts and washed up veterans i.e. fukudome,a ram,pena)<and those guys are good trade value...marshall is a solid bullpen guy for the future..but its not ridiculous to think some team might offer some good trade bait for that...in that case you shouldnt just ignore it

yes,hendry wont be with the team very much longer(atleast imo) but its not an excuse for not trying to help the team long term...

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
does any team really want to trade for barney?
I don't know? According to Hendry they do because the calls have ended quickly. So someone is calling about him.

Not sure why I got an Obama there but the guy is a solid as they come in a bullpen role. Unless they got an incredible offer, why not keep him?
Because even a decent offer might help the Cubs more down the line than Marshall might.

No one is saying trade Marshall at any and all costs. No one.

What the point is(and i can't believe I'm still having to explain this) is that regardless of how valuable/good/etc Marshall might be now. He is nowhere near untouchable and a GM that isn't even willing to listen to options on him, no matter how high or low the value of the offer, is a Special person.

No one on the Cubs is untouchable, sans MAYBE Castro. Having calls ending "quickly" in regards to trade talks about a lefty bullpen/spot start arm and a marginal second baseman is a ridiculously stupid fucking move.

Marshall is a nice player that more than likely will be gone or on the decline by the time the Cubs contend again in 3-4 years. In my mind you owe it to yourself to explore trade options for him if people are calling you in order to perhaps maximize the value you can get for him now in relation to what the value could mean to the future of the Cubs when they are able to compete.

Last edited: