Jimmy Butler to the Twolves

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
I fully admit I don't follow the NBA like I do the NFL, but can someone explain to me WTF the Bulls did in the 2nd round? You trade your pick for cash? GarPax can't afford lunch?

Its not uncommon for teams to sell their 2nd rounders in the NBA and 3.5 million is a ridiculous amount for one...but when you signify that you're rebuilding and sell an asset its inexcusable.

Fun Fact: We gave 3m (+2005 First Rounder) for Luol in 2004 and we just sold the pick we got for him for 3.5m

AussieBear

Jimmy's trainer with some kind parting words

so i take it butler didnt want to leave but will be happy when he be gone.. at least he'll be playing for sumin in minny

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
To be fair 3.5 million is a ridiculous amount for a 2nd rounder but when you signify that you're rebuilding and sell an asset its inexcusable.

Fun Fact: We gave 3m (+2005 First Rounder) for Luol in 2004 and we just sold the pick we got for him in a trade for 3.5m
To GarPax that's a 0.5M profit

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
If the knicks wanted him, you know he is the wrong selection. They may be the only team with a dumber FO.

The Knicks were also hoping to draft Fultz, Ball, Tatum, Jackson, and Isaac. So I'm glad the Bulls avoided those guys at least.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Dunn. Well we knew the Bulls loved Dunn last year....which makes sense because he had a poor rookie season. However, I really liked Dunn at Providence and like him as a combo guard. It would be unfair to judge Dunn solely on his rookie year as a PG- especially under Thibs. It isn't uncommon for PGs to need a year to adjust- Dunn may flourish in an open court style offense that we're still waiting to see Hoiberg implement. We'll see. He's only 23 and has a lot of upside regardless of what happened last year in Minnesota.
I'm intrigued by Dunn because of their interest in him last year. We know full well that Thibs runs a more isolation based offense, so you're right, maybe he flourishes under Fred.

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
Now it'll be a competition for worst record between the Bulls and Nets.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
The most interesting story line for me entering the season after this trade is what they tell Wade. If they can convince Wade to come off the bench I'll be amazed.

Hammer

Liked Posts:
Like the rebuild start, but am also afraid that with Bulls incompetent management, team will just draft more Mirotic's and Markannen's with their high lottery picks.

Btw. Doncic seems like a great euro prospect, but he also lacks top end athleticism needed for NBA SF, he's more like Hedo/Stojakovic/Galinari from that perspective, so I'd rather target prospects like SF/PF Porter and C Ayton in 2018 Draft.

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
2 key things are:

- Bulls hit the reset button
- team now has a young nucleus of Dunn/Payne, LaVine, Valentine, Portis, Markannen to build on

Only thing I don't like is that they took PF Markannen at #7 (and PG Dunn via. trade) over PG Smith at #7 and some C prospect at #16.
But who knows, if Dunn can turn things around, and Markannen ends up being Dirk/Porzingis 2.0, then this will be one helluva Offseason for the franchise.

That's the nucleus of a lottery team, bottom 3 at that. I don't think any one of those guys gets 10 minutes a game for GSW. Yeah, I know they're young, but still.....

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I really like LaVine but it all depends on whether he can come back from his injury. If he can, he can be an impact player and fan favorite. To me, he is the key of the entire trade.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
I'm intrigued by Dunn because of their interest in him last year. We know full well that Thibs runs a more isolation based offense, so you're right, maybe he flourishes under Fred.

they also had lots of interest in that bum we traded mcbucket for lol

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
Bulls fans bitch when their in basketball purgatory, and bitch when a tank/rebuild looks like it may finally happen.

They must be a Chicago team.

Nothing wrong with rebuilding. I think most Bulls fans would agree it was time to start our rebuild. However, this rebuild seems to be off to a shitty start.

A PG that looked terrible in the minutes he got last year. An athletic guard that just shredded his knee, and another shooting big that doesn't play defense or rebuild. On top of unnecessarily throwing in our 16th pick for whatever reason.

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
they also had lots of interest in that bum we traded mcbucket for lol

Didn't they have a lot of interest in Jerian Grant the year before last too?

How are we gonna play all these PGs that we love so much?

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
My $.02.....

Butler was the best player on an average team that was going nowhere. Maybe, maybe, the Bulls upset the Celtics if Rondo doesn't get hurt. Maybe, maybe that leads to getting the #3 and Josh Jackson. Beyond that, Butler had two years left on his deal before his player option, which there was never any reason to think he wouldn't use it, and you risk losing him for nothing. Maybe you don't make the trade, but is it worth another 8 seed in the playoffs where you get bounced?

Bottom line is that Butler has earned, through his own hard work, all of the accolades he's received, plus the money that he'll get when his deal is expired. That said: we're talking about a guy who on the floor for the worst limp dick performances in playoff elimination games that I'm sure any of us have ever seen out of the Bulls.

For better or worse, the Bulls have tied themselves to Fred, and the way Fred wants to play basketball. Anyone who has watched the offense that Fred wants to run, and has also watched how Butler operates in game knows that the two don't mix. It simply doesn't. All the bitching and moaning we could possibly do over what this roster looks like no longer matters. This is Fred's team, and we need to get used to that fact.

BringBackDitka54

Liked Posts:
My $.02.....

Butler was the best player on an average team that was going nowhere. Maybe, maybe, the Bulls upset the Celtics if Rondo doesn't get hurt. Maybe, maybe that leads to getting the #3 and Josh Jackson. Beyond that, Butler had two years left on his deal before his player option, which there was never any reason to think he wouldn't use it, and you risk losing him for nothing. Maybe you don't make the trade, but is it worth another 8 seed in the playoffs where you get bounced?

Bottom line is that Butler has earned, through his own hard work, all of the accolades he's received, plus the money that he'll get when his deal is expired. That said: we're talking about a guy who on the floor for the worst limp dick performances in playoff elimination games that I'm sure any of us have ever seen out of the Bulls.

For better or worse, the Bulls have tied themselves to Fred, and the way Fred wants to play basketball. Anyone who has watched the offense that Fred wants to run, and has also watched how Butler operates in game knows that the two don't mix. It simply doesn't. All the bitching and moaning we could possibly do over what this roster looks like no longer matters. This is Fred's team, and we need to get used to that fact.

True, but I would much rather have a Jimmy Butler-led team than a Fred Hoiberg-led team.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
My $.02.....

Which one of our plethora of PGs will be the one that fits Hoiball?

You are right of course, we are stuck with Fred and the way he wants to play. That's fine, but GarPax haven't seemed to be able to build around that philosophy of yet. But perhaps this is them trying to overhaul the roster to make it work.

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My $.02.....

Understanding it =/= Liking it

I am, however, all for a full on rebuild. The best thing for this team right now is to spend a couple years in the dumpster with high lottery chances. I just wish it was under a different coach, and of course, operating under different management. I'm sure you share that same sentiment.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Understanding it =/= Liking it

I am, however, all for a full on rebuild. The best thing for this team right now is to spend a couple years in the dumpster with high lottery chances. I just wish it was under a different coach, and of course, operating under different management. I'm sure you share that same sentiment.
To the first point, I don't disagree that understanding it means that you need to like it.

And yes, I'm very skeptical that any top flight young player can develop under current management/coaching. But there's nothing I can do, so I'm still going to watch my favorite NBA team.