Jimmy Graham to Bears

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Here is my main problems with it

1. He is turning 34 and has been on a steady decline in production for 4 straight seasons. The Bears are banking on him not continuing what is clearly a trend.

2. He doesn’t change your draft needs. He doesn’t open up much flexibility. You still need a long term TE.

3. He offers less than Burton as a blocker, so I am not sure how they work together, or who is lining up inline.
The best ability he offers over Burton is availability. He would also be a good mentor for a young stud TE. I think this just shows we are going TE early in the draft.

BaBaBlacksheep

Jordan Sigler Super Fan
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Have the official terms been released?

Luke

Liked Posts:
This type of level headedness and common sense is very foreign around this board. You might as well be speaking Japanese.

and he's not turning Japanese like the rest of this board......I really think so. Do they now make Burton a post 6/1 cut and save almost 3 mil in cap space?

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Another thought, it is likely that Burton has offset language in his contract so if cut, he will easily sign with another team. Even a cheap deal in the $4-5M range saves the bears $ and cap space.

BaBaBlacksheep

Jordan Sigler Super Fan
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Another thought, it is likely that Burton has offset language in his contract so if cut, he will easily sign with another team. Even a cheap deal in the $4-5M range saves the bears $ and cap space.

Bears fans spend two years calling the guy worthless and now all of sudden he’s worth 4-5 mil? Which one is it? Good point though.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The best ability he offers over Burton is availability. He would also be a good mentor for a young stud TE. I think this just shows we are going TE early in the draft.

We spent 9 million guaranteed so we still had to draft one high?

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Many posters don't understand player development. This draft is not full of TE's ready to start. They also have doubts about Burton's health.

The Bears overpaid Graham to have a functional pass catching TE due to injury and a weak draft.

I am not happy with the money either and feel 5 million was fair, but alot of players get overpaid in the first day of free agency due to team need.

This amount of bitching over a 2 year deal is pretty insane. A day 1 starter is just not available to us in this draft.

For the posters that support Nagy, you should be happy about this. Having a decent productive TE should really help the offense.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
I think this just shows we are going TE early in the draft.

On the contrary, this allows us to grab a more developmental prospect in later rounds.

I definitely think they draft one, but I think this move guarantees they don't do it with one of their first two selections.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Could the Bears be shopping Burton? A TE desperate team could trade for him for what is essentially a 1yr/$6.8M deal with an additional $7.1M option year that wouldn't be a bad gamble on a guy 1 yr removed from 54-569-6TD's. That would free up $5M in cap space and could get the Bears a 4th or 5th rnd pick.
Very possible

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Many posters don't understand player development. This draft is not full of TE's ready to start. They also have doubts about Burton's health.

The Bears overpaid Graham to have a functional pass catching TE due to injury and a weak draft.

I am not happy with the money either and feel 5 million was fair, but alot of players get overpaid in the first day of free agency due to team need.

This amount of bitching over a 2 year deal is pretty insane. A day 1 starter is just not available to us in this draft.

For the posters that support Nagy, you should be happy about this. Having a decent productive TE should really help the offense.

I understand that he is going to bridge to a draft pick.

How does he make the offense better than 2018?

Being better than 2019 is not the goal. The offense needs to be better than 2018. The 2018 offense needed a historic defensive season to be functional and get them into the playoffs.

This move doesn't actually improve that.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Bears fans spend two years calling the guy worthless and now all of sudden he’s worth 4-5 mil? Which one is it? Good point though.
Jimmy Graham got $8M, so the going rate for worthless is somewhere around $7.99M and below. And Burton has only been called worthless for 1 playoff game and a season, not 2 years, please don't exaggerate.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Jimmy Graham got $8M, so the going rate for worthless is somewhere around $7.99M and below. And Burton has only been called worthless for 1 playoff game and a season, not 2 years, please don't exaggerate.
That’s pace value not nfl value. Just like all of us laughed at the Texans trade yesterday right?

got to ask yourself if we gave a 34 year old regressing te 9 mil guaranteed is that cause our current te had a groin injury a year ago? There is something more going on with burton cause a groin injury isn’t the reason you move on from a player

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Thinking outside box; wonder if this is move to attract Brady.....

could free up 30m by cutting Floyd, trading Trubisky and Burton.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I understand that he is going to bridge to a draft pick.

How does he make the offense better than 2018?

Being better than 2019 is not the goal. The offense needs to be better than 2018. The 2018 offense needed a historic defensive season to be functional and get them into the playoffs.

This move doesn't actually improve that.

All we can do is wait the rest of the offseason and draft out to see how Pace puts the rest of this team together. Lets see what he does about competition for Trubs and what he does to fill the RG spot and backup RB and Speed WR spots. When i see what he does about these moves on offense it could make me feel better about the Graham signing or make me even more confused and angry then i am now about it.

You have just made this complete turn in one year on Pace that any move he makes you're gonna find the fault in it and rage post on here about it. I get it about this signing cause i'm with you on it but he has a lot of work left to do. Lets now worry about how much he's gonna trade to get Dalton or Foles or Carr...LOL.

I'm starting to think we just say fuck and bring in Jameis and let the guy rip it. He's obviously been a QB that makes some horrible decisions throwing the ball at some of the worst times in games but he also makes some beautiful passes with great touch on them at times as well. I don't think getting laser eye surgery takes the bad decisions away but if he would just see the field a little better he could be really good. He won a national championship in college and he won that game with his decision making and great arm. I'm a FSU fan so i know. It was a great game.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
All we can do is wait the rest of the offseason and draft out to see how Pace puts the rest of this team together. Lets see what he does about competition for Trubs and what he does to fill the RG spot and backup RB and Speed WR spots. When i see what he does about these moves on offense it could make me feel better about the Graham signing or make me even more confused and angry then i am now about it.

You have just made this complete turn in one year on Pace that any move he makes you're gonna find the fault in it and rage post on here about it. I get it about this signing cause i'm with you on it but he has a lot of work left to do. Lets now worry about how much he's gonna trade to get Dalton or Foles or Carr...LOL.

I'm starting to think we just say fuck and bring in Jameis and let the guy rip it. He's obviously been a QB that makes some horrible decisions throwing the ball at some of the worst times in games but he also makes some beautiful passes with great touch on them at times as well. I don't think getting laser eye surgery takes the bad decisions away but if he would just see the field a little better he could be really good. He won a national championship in college and he won that game with his decision making and great arm. I'm a FSU fan so i know. It was a great game.

You do not get to have a massive team wide regression and your 2nd overall QB bust out in my books and act like nothing happened.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

1. Can Burton pass a physical

2. Pace gives out 8 million to bad TEs, not sure I see comparable deals that would indicate other teams like to over pay bad TEs.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
The offense needs to be better than 2018.

20th in yards/play in 2018.. that is probably close to the ceiling for this Bears team next season. We were 31st last season.

Despite who we hired for head coach, when you trade and pay for Khalil Mack, you are a defensive team.

I think 20-24th offensively overall gets us to the playoffs again.

Graham gets us functional at TE. A RG may get us functional on the OL.

We have to get out of the cellar before we can head upstairs...

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
20th in yards/play in 2018.. that is probably close to the ceiling for this Bears team next season. We were 31st last season.

Despite who we hired for head coach, when you trade and pay for Khalil Mack, you are a defensive team.

I think 20-24th offensively overall gets us to the playoffs again.

Graham gets us functional at TE. A RG may get us functional on the OL.

We have to get out of the cellar before we can head upstairs...

The 2018 offense required a historic defenses season, crazy turnovers and injury luck, to go one and done in the playoffs.

If the offense is not better than it was in 2018 we do not really have a shot as the defense is unlikely to have another season like that.

Functional isn't good enough.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
You do not get to have a massive team wide regression and your 2nd overall QB bust out in my books and act like nothing happened.

Have you been posting on CCS in your sleep for the last year cause nobody is happy about the regression of the team and nobody is happy that Trubsiky is looking like a bust and nobody likes the J.Graham signing and i don't think anyone is happy with any of the moves that haven't worked out or how the team played last year even though they did finish 8-8 which isn't horrible but obviously they regressed but you take it to a whole new level for someone that was a R.Pace fan at this time last year. He's made some bad moves, it happens and will again and there isn't a GM out there that we can replace Pace with that won't make bad moves.

I just think it's better to wait the rest of the offseason out before you make your prediction that the world is ending and next season is already over. We all knew we had limited cap space to make any big moves this offseason and it seems like Pace wants to get the QB thing figured out before he can figure out how to fix the rest of the offensive needs.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
1. Can Burton pass a physical

2. Pace gives out 8 million to bad TEs, not sure I see comparable deals that would indicate other teams like to over pay bad TEs.

Blake Jarwin got 3 years $24.5 mil from the Cowboys yesterday. I would say that's even worse then the J.Graham deal.