JJ McCarthy worthy of a top 5 pick?

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
I just don't see it. Certainly a guy who could develop and become very good but he feels like a late first round prospect to me. I didn't see great vision or accuracy in college and more of a game manager. He has some mobility and toughness for sure. He is a good decision maker and protects the ball but the guy never had a 3000 yard season and played behind a great defense and running game his whole career.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
When the college season ended, many and probably most people didn't see him going in the first round. Hard to figure out what exactly happened in the last few months.

msadows

Liked Posts:
No, but neither were trey lance or anthony richardson.

msadows

Liked Posts:
When the college season ended, many and probably most people didn't see him going in the first round. Hard to figure out what exactly happened in the last few months.

Same shit happened for richardson last year. People were saying hes a fringe first/early 2nd and he went top 5.

Its the mahomie/lamar effect. Teams aren't willing to let QB's drop anymore if they have conviction.

jsu34

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's highly possible that 2 of 32 GMs could think so.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I just don't see it. Certainly a guy who could develop and become very good but he feels like a late first round prospect to me. I didn't see great vision or accuracy in college and more of a game manager. He has some mobility and toughness for sure. He is a good decision maker and protects the ball but the guy never had a 3000 yard season and played behind a great defense and running game his whole career.
What first round talent did he have to throw the ball too?

Canth

Liked Posts:

Harbaugh talked him up, so I think a lot of the NFL draft media and bloggers have run with that and gone through some serious mental gymnastics in his limited tape to make him fit to the profile they want.

It's the whole idea of "We have seen him do it once, so we know he's capable of it" and then they try and extrapolate it into an NFL offense/season where he will be asked to do more and they have convinced themselves he can.

Then, there is the whole supply and demand bit where I think some teams, like the Vikings, have painted themselves in a corner where it seems like they -have- to draft a QB this year and it's driving up the price/cost/value of the player artificially.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Same shit happened for richardson last year. People were saying hes a fringe first/early 2nd and he went top 5.

Its the mahomie/lamar effect. Teams aren't willing to let QB's drop anymore if they have conviction.
That has been going on way before Mahomes or Lamar. Most years, QBs bubble up to levels much higher than they should. If you don't have a QB, teams will get desperate and over-draft QBs.

It is good for teams that either have QBs or get to draft a QB at 1 with draft capital that wasn't their own, drafting better players that fall to them to, let's say, pick 9 with their own pick.

Last edited:

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
Depends who you talk to. He may be worth it for someone out there.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers

Mahomes/Lamar effect? Da Fuk did you get that? Why not the Brady/ Rodgers/RussWilson effect? Teams have never been willing to let what they consider a top QB prospect drop. Opposite happens as well. Will Levis was considered top 10 and dropped into the second rnd.

Yogi

Liked Posts:
He was the weak link in that Michigan offense. Any of the other top 5 QBs on that team would have still won the natty and their offense would've looked a lot better doing it. With Caleb they might be getting talked about as an all-time great team.

And the "that's just Harbaugh's offense" argument doesn't fly, since we already have a sample size of him with a premier quarterback where he let a true sophomore Andrew Luck sling it 29 times per game.

msadows

Liked Posts:
He was the weak link in that Michigan offense. Any of the other top 5 QBs on that team would have still won the natty and their offense would've looked a lot better doing it. With Caleb they might be getting talked about as an all-time great team.

And the "that's just Harbaugh's offense" argument doesn't fly, since we already have a sample size of him with a premier quarterback where he let a true sophomore Andrew Luck sling it 29 times per game.

To be fair to JJ he does have pretty legit traits and was a top HS recruit.

It wouldnt surprise me if he did well in the NFL, especially if he goes to minny. He's just by far the rawest guy out there, usually those guys fall flat on their face in the NFL.

Dstone5553

Liked Posts:
I don't think he'll go in first 5 picks.

I think people are going to be surprised at how many teams pass on him.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
No but thankfully thats not our problem. Or it is but in the good way.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
What first round talent did he have to throw the ball too?
Agreed in part. I think in a top QB you want a guy who can push the ball down the field and I didn't see that from JJ.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Agreed. But Richardson's combine was elite. I can see a GM taking a chance on an elite athlete like AR with high upside. JJ seems like his ceiling is Cousins.