Juju Smith-Schuster will be a free agent. Sign him

Rise

Liked Posts:
I’d rather have ARob back on this team over any player on the defense including Mack. So if they have to cut a Hicks for example to make it work than so be it. Quinn was a bad decision don’t let the problem get worse by taking our main playmaker away.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Smith Schuster has turned into more of a slot guy who catches a lot of underneath stuff. I think he‘s a good player, but doesn’t really replace Robinson in the way you’d want him too.

I think Corey Davis is a viable option. And this can’t be correct but some of the sites have him projected to get around 10 million a year. I think he gets more than that. But not a ton more. He’s got like 60 catches for 950 yards yards this year. Averaging over 15 a catch. AJ Brown is the guy there. Davis is actually putting up some nice numbers too though.

TY Hilton, Sammy Watkins and Marvin Jones are a few vets who could be on the radar. although I’m not big on any of them. Jones actually has way better career numbers than I ever would have given him credit for. Although I sort of wonder how much of it was garbage time under Stafford.

I think Godwin and Golladay are getting tagged.

Agree with all of this. Juju is more of a replacement for Miller, though he has played the Robinson role before (Rookie w/ AB). Corey Davis will probably get 14M or so per year. The appeal for him is he's only 25, he's better after the catch than ARob, and he's from Chicago. I'd probably take Davis at 12-14 over Robinson at 18-20 per season, but it's close.

The only other option I'd consider over Robinson is Will Fuller. Would really increase the team speed and give the Bears that Chiefs or Panthers type speed on the outside w/ him and Mooney. He'd be a little cheaper than Robinson also, though I doubt Houston lets another Watson WR walk after Hopkins.

No interest in Hilton. Watkins and Jones would be guys you go after on 1-2 year deals if Robinson absolutely refuses to stay here.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Hes very underrated.
I ll pay JuJu and let go of ARob and draft another WR. Juju , mooney and another stud rookie will tear up the league with Big Dick Mitch
Don't go thee. Something else rhymes with Mitch.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
The only way JuJu makes sense is if 4M is definitely not the QB. He already missed Mooney deep and too much of JuJu's value is wrapped up in being a deep threat. If we let ARob walk then we need a possession WR that can catch his errant passes.

JuJu mostly played the slot for Pitt.

KennyH

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Has there been any leaks or informed discussion on how far apart the Bears and ARob are in terms of valuation??

Rise

Liked Posts:
Has there been any leaks or informed discussion on how far apart the Bears and ARob are in terms of valuation??

I believe the last reported was $3 million. It’s really not a lot in the grand scheme of things but this is idiot Ryan Pace we are talking about. I still can’t believe he paid Cohen first. I think you can at least rationalize Quinn and Trevathon over Floyd and Kwiatkowski even if I disagreed then and now. Cohen though?Can’t rationalize it at all.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
TY Hilton, Sammy Watkins and Marvin Jones

I think Godwin and Golladay are getting tagged.
No to Watkins . Great receiver, never plays a full season. Plus Mitch and deep balls don’t mix. Marvin Jones is a guy I have always liked, he may work opposite Mooney that would mean kmet world really need to step up next year.

would much rather keep it as is and find a way to extend Robinson.

circusboy666

Liked Posts:
You have no clue how this all works, do you? You just heard someone parrot “Bears have no cap room” and now you spew it as gospel. It isn’t. There are always ways...
Yes I’ve watched football for 30 years and don’t understand a cap. NO-there are not ALWAYS ways. Especially with a team with multiple spots of need. I think it’s YOU who has no clue as far as cap issues and ramifications and even more alarmingly the holes this team has to fill to truly compete. It’s irresponsible to assume we can afford that kind of money at that position right now.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I believe the last reported was $3 million. It’s really not a lot in the grand scheme of things but this is idiot Ryan Pace we are talking about. I still can’t believe he paid Cohen first. I think you can at least rationalize Quinn and Trevathon over Floyd and Kwiatkowski even if I disagreed then and now. Cohen though?Can’t rationalize it at all.

See, I actually think Pace has played the Robinson thing pretty well. Once we got to the start of the season, it didn't really make much sense to commit long-term to Robinson. First, didn't have a long-term QB. If Mitch had started all season and put together 15 games like the last 5, then you'd have to either franchise him or sign him long-term. Even with 5 decent games there's still a decision to be made. Secondly, there's this whole pandemic thing. There is cap uncertainty in 2021 even now. Pace still doesn't know how much cap room he'll have next year. I think it was smart to not commit 18-20M to Robinson without even knowing if he'd have that much space and also saving space for a potential Trubisky extension (also there were escalators in Foles' contract).

As for Cohen, I also think that move makes sense. The primary focus in negotiations this offseason will be Robinson and now probably Trubisky. You risk losing Cohen if you focus on Robinson first in free agency. That could allow someone else to swoop in and take Cohen while you have him on the backburner. Plus, again without knowing the cap number, you don't want to sign ARob for 20M and then end up with only 2Mil in space and can't afford Cohen.

Now, I'm not trying to excuse Ryan Pace because he did sign Quinn, Trevathan, and Graham while the Bears were in the pandemic and also knowing he had Robinson and potentially Trubisky's contract situations coming up. But in March/April, maybe he thought it would be over and 2021 and beyond wouldn't be affected. So, if you buy that he is smart enough to plan for a lower cap, I think he did the right thing with Robinson.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
The only way JuJu makes sense is if 4M is definitely not the QB. He already missed Mooney deep and too much of JuJu's value is wrapped up in being a deep threat. If we let ARob walk then we need a possession WR that can catch his errant passes.

juju has almost no value as a deep threat. Think you have him confused with someone else. He’s been a dink and dunk receiver all year

Rise

Liked Posts:
See, I actually think Pace has played the Robinson thing pretty well. Once we got to the start of the season, it didn't really make much sense to commit long-term to Robinson. First, didn't have a long-term QB. If Mitch had started all season and put together 15 games like the last 5, then you'd have to either franchise him or sign him long-term. Even with 5 decent games there's still a decision to be made. Secondly, there's this whole pandemic thing. There is cap uncertainty in 2021 even now. Pace still doesn't know how much cap room he'll have next year. I think it was smart to not commit 18-20M to Robinson without even knowing if he'd have that much space and also saving space for a potential Trubisky extension (also there were escalators in Foles' contract).

As for Cohen, I also think that move makes sense. The primary focus in negotiations this offseason will be Robinson and now probably Trubisky. You risk losing Cohen if you focus on Robinson first in free agency. That could allow someone else to swoop in and take Cohen while you have him on the backburner. Plus, again without knowing the cap number, you don't want to sign ARob for 20M and then end up with only 2Mil in space and can't afford Cohen.

Now, I'm not trying to excuse Ryan Pace because he did sign Quinn, Trevathan, and Graham while the Bears were in the pandemic and also knowing he had Robinson and potentially Trubisky's contract situations coming up. But in March/April, maybe he thought it would be over and 2021 and beyond wouldn't be affected. So, if you buy that he is smart enough to plan for a lower cap, I think he did the right thing with Robinson.

Time will tell. If Pace is able to keep ARob and Trubisky without cutting a productive player because of Quinn/Trevathon etc I’ll admit I’m wrong. I don’t think he can or will do it though. We will see.

EDPeezy

Liked Posts:
Corey Davis and Curtis Samuel for about what you’d pay A Rob.

Im just throwing armchair GM stuff out there. I’d rather have Robinson back.

jsu34

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
To the naysayers: Are you all crazy? If Juju is available and the money looks right, you sign him no question. The Steelers are the other team I've followed since 1969 when they couldn't play dead.

That being said, I would not let ARob leave if I had a choice and I highly doubt the bears even pursue a player like Juju.

Liked Posts:
He’s not going to make it cheap for them to sign now that’s for sure.

It looks like he’s good as gone honestly and if so they’ll have likely the worst WR corps in the league, nothing new for is bears fans.

Maybe they decide to turn into a heavy run team next year, upgrade OL depth and sign a couple serviceable WR vets. That should be good enough for another 8-8 season.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Robinson is actually the best UFA on the market if you look at it.

I doubt Robinson wants to be back anyway unless the bears outbid every other team.

Pace already fucked it up. Never should have been a question. Should have been an auto-renew for a good example hard work and perform veteran.

With no other WR money pressure what the hell was the problem here? Jimmy Graham was the problem? Cohen was the problem?

You shouldn't look at A-Robs contract and be asking why every single other contract signed in Chicago over the last two years went before him?

Goddamnit even when Pace does well he can't get out of his lack of vision in the simplest of team building housekeeping.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
To the naysayers: Are you all crazy? If Juju is available and the money looks right, you sign him no question. The Steelers are the other team I've followed since 1969 when they couldn't play dead.

That being said, I would not let ARob leave if I had a choice and I highly doubt the bears even pursue a player like Juju.

Lol no. He's been underwhelming since Brown left and he's a massive fucking distraction as well. Juju is about as dumb as a box of rocks.

Perspective

Liked Posts:

Bort

Liked Posts:
I’d rather have ARob back on this team over any player on the defense including Mack. So if they have to cut a Hicks for example to make it work than so be it. Quinn was a bad decision don’t let the problem get worse by taking our main playmaker away.

I really don't understand why anyone would even consider cutting Hicks. He's a bargain at $10.5 million a year.

If we're looking fur cuts, cut the guys who are overpaid, not guys who are underpaid. Here's the cap savings from cutting these guys:

Jimmy Graham: $7 million
Charles Leno: $6.2 million
Bobby Massie: $5.4 million
Buster Skrine: $2.8 million

The biggest cap savings could actually come from extending Fuller. His cap number in 2021 is $20 million, and they probably cut that in half with an extension that converts his 2020 salary into a signing bonus.