Juju Smith-Schuster will be a free agent. Sign him

Bort

Liked Posts:
Also worth noting that the franchise tag salary for receivers is expected to go down in 2021 due to COVID. The latest projections I've seen were between $15-16 million.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
Why not just use that money created by whatever means (cuts/reworked contracts, etc) to keep Allen Robinson?

Or does that make too much sense? I realize I'm on CCS...

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
He's not a deep threat this year. 8.4 yards per catch (has to be near the bottom of the league). He hasn't really been a deep threat since Antonio Brown left there. He's more of a possession type than anything.

That being said, if you're going to pay a WR over 15Mil/year, it should be ARob.

Sure but this is the first year his YPR has been below 10 so think that is more a function of all the weapons Pitt has.

Personally I would not pay a WR over 15m per year. This draft is deep again at WR so just draft one preferably in the Samuel/Aiyuk mold where they offer some YAC ability.

juju has almost no value as a deep threat. Think you have him confused with someone else. He’s been a dink and dunk receiver all year

Again I think you are confusing how Pitt uses him and his actual ability. He has been above 12.7 YPR every year but this one and Pitt has a lot of weapons that can get deep so he has been used more underneath this year. His YPR is over 4 yards less than it has ever been coming into this year.

jsu34

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It aint brain surgery. It's route running and catching the ball with occasional blocking, all of which he is very capable. You must not watch a lot of the Steelers. Claypool and Johnson are usually one on one because teams try to take him away. Pittsburgh is struggling right now because Johnson has double the drops that AntMill does.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Thinking the CHICAGO BEARS will pay that money(especially with cap issues) is so insanely dumb. A-Rob is gone. No big FA coming in. Next year we will not be spending money. Stop thinking we have money that’s not there.

That’s a little different than “I wouldn’t pay A-Rob more than 12 mil” You would and you should.

Because he worth more than that.

Thanks!

circusboy666

Liked Posts:
That’s a little different than “I wouldn’t pay A-Rob more than 12 mil” You would and you should.

Because he worth more than that.

Thanks!
He would be worth it if we had a top end offense and QB. We don’t. We have a lot of holes. His salary at 18-20mil is worth 2 FA starting players at other positions?
My point is paying A-Rob with our roster makes no sense. Good dude. Good player. Not the time to invest in WR.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
He would be worth it if we had a top end offense and QB. We don’t. We have a lot of holes. His salary at 18-20mil is worth 2 FA starting players at other positions?
My point is paying A-Rob with our roster makes no sense. Good dude. Good player. Not the time to invest in WR.

The Bears are in a bad spot with the cap. The Quinn signing crippled them and the defense is not seeing the returns.

If they can’t replace a-robs production the bears will have a top 10 pick next year with one read Mitch.

Bust

Liked Posts:
I really don't understand why anyone would even consider cutting Hicks. He's a bargain at $10.5 million a year.

If we're looking fur cuts, cut the guys who are overpaid, not guys who are underpaid. Here's the cap savings from cutting these guys:

Jimmy Graham: $7 million
Charles Leno: $6.2 million
Bobby Massie: $5.4 million
Buster Skrine: $2.8 million

The biggest cap savings could actually come from extending Fuller. His cap number in 2021 is $20 million, and they probably cut that in half with an extension that converts his 2020 salary into a signing bonus.

Leno is a bargain at 6 million. If he plays another strong game vs Green Bay LT is no longer a NEED.

circusboy666

Liked Posts:
I can’t even believe people talk about cutting Hicks. Jesus he is the heart of that defense. Dude gives a damn more than anyone else out there.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
JuJu Smith is a great number 2 receiver when there is a really good number 1 oppo him.....

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
Paying 18+ million for a guy who, on a good day, may tough the ball 7 times a game is insane. The NFL as gone crazy!

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hes not even a top 5 WR in his division.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Smith Schuster has turned into more of a slot guy who catches a lot of underneath stuff. I think he‘s a good player, but doesn’t really replace Robinson in the way you’d want him to.

I think Corey Davis is a viable option. And this can’t be correct but some of the sites have him projected to get around 10 million a year. I think he gets more than that. But not a ton more. He’s got like 60 catches for 950 yards yards this year. Averaging over 15 a catch. AJ Brown is the guy there. Davis is actually putting up some nice numbers too though.

TY Hilton, Sammy Watkins and Marvin Jones are a few vets who could be on the radar. although I’m not big on any of them. Jones actually has way better career numbers than I ever would have given him credit for. Although I sort of wonder how much of it was garbage time under Stafford.

I think Godwin and Golladay are getting tagged.

He’s become an underneath guy by necessity. Roethlisberger has had huge issues throwing downfield this season. They are running a largely 3 step drop offense.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why not just use that money created by whatever means (cuts/reworked contracts, etc) to keep Allen Robinson?

because Pace already burned the bridge. Its already fucked.

Now we have to overpay JuJu to compound another Pace mistake. He has a habit of compounding his blunders.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Also worth noting that the franchise tag salary for receivers is expected to go down in 2021 due to COVID. The latest projections I've seen were between $15-16 million.

Why would the franchise tag go down? The tag isn't tied to the cap, and the top paid receivers in the league aren't getting paid less next year.

Right now, the top 5 paid WRs all make over $19 mil a year, with the highest being $27 mil.

BearDen

High Ranking Member
Liked Posts:
I can’t even believe people talk about cutting Hicks. Jesus he is the heart of that defense. Dude gives a damn more than anyone else out there.
He does but he’s older, often injured, and can save money for a team with none.

Bort

Liked Posts:
Why would the franchise tag go down? The tag isn't tied to the cap, and the top paid receivers in the league aren't getting paid less next year.

Right now, the top 5 paid WRs all make over $19 mil a year, with the highest being $27 mil.

They changed the franchise tag rules in the most recent collective bargaining agreement. Try googling "non-exclusive franchise tag" (the one the Bears would actually use on Robinson) and you will learn that it is, in fact, tied to the salary cap.

Marley's Liberality

Liked Posts:
looks to me like there are plenty of interesting WR available in FA. We aren't held for ransom by Robinson. I'm happy to have Robinson back but I'm not sure he's even the best talent available at the position in FA

msadows

Liked Posts:
Nah, I'd rather have arob.

Juju is a slot guy, we'd still need an X

This team going forward isn't going to use a slot WR as much if we keep mitch.

Bolek

Liked Posts:

because most people are proposing cutting starters. do you think they would have to be replaced as well? Its a steep price to pay, but if Pace Nagy and Trubs are back next season, AROB has to be absolutely brought back as well. He is the most important piece of our offensive production. If Arob leaves, might as well blow it all up and rebuild.