Justin Fields hype starting to leak out of Halas Hall, from reporters, and everyone's "favorite" bloggers...

Weebey Brice

Formerly Caleb Williams/Weebay
Liked Posts:
Agreed. And to be honest, after the KC and Denver games, it was understandable, but to see everything click and see smart play calling for once in the Washington game, if they can sustain this, we finally got one.

Then we all can start finally talking about how good can he get, rather than if we can ever get one at all.
Trubisky had a stretch in 2018 where he threw for nearly 700 yards, 9 TDs and 1 INT. It’s one win in over fifteen attempts and all of a sudden things are clicking? In the span of five weeks, he has thrown for 99 yards in a game, committed two costly turnovers that decided games, and got outplayed by a glorified game manager. Jesus, this fanbase is starving for anything, they’ll settle for crumbs. I’m in wait and see mode with Fields but the way this fanbase shifts to two extremes week to week is insane.

Last edited:

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Trubisky had a stretch in 2018 where he threw for nearly 700 yards, 9 TDs and 1 INT. It’s one win in over fifteen attempts and all of a sudden things are clicking? In the span of five weeks, he has thrown for 99 yards in a game, committed two costly turnovers that decided games, and got outplayed by a glorified game manager. Jesus, this fanbase is starving for anything, they’ll settle for crumbs. I’m in wait and see mode with Fields but the way this fanbase shifts to two extremes week to week is insane.

So you're saying there's a chance? :youdontsay:

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

So you are blaming everything wrong with the team on the quarterback?

Because I am looking at wins and losses as a team stat, not just a qb stat.

Trubisky never sold me because in terms of how he handled his reads, he never progressed. He never got better. He'd always overthrow his deep man by 10 yards. Even with some success vs weaker teams, he never looked any different. Always struggled reading defenses.

If you can't tell the difference between Mitch and Justin, then this has less to do with what the fanbase will settle for, and more to do with you don't know what the fuck you are looking at when evaluating quarterbacks, so all you go by is a stat line.

Fields took some significant steps these past 2 games. There are signs of growth that were NEVER there with Mitch, or really ANY QB in the modern era for the Bears - not Grossman, not Orton, not McNown, not McCown, Not Mitch - NO ONE (excluding Cutler because he was a finished product when we got him, deficiencies and all, and no one was going to change him).

Shit, one can look at just the Commanders game on its own, and you can see the growth even within the game itself... The more comfortable Fields got, the quicker his release got, and the better his anticipatory throws got. Can you even tell that? Or you just looking at stat lines?

Now, all that said, he needs to maintain this. Defenses are going to change again and try to take away DJ Moore. If Fields has an answer and can start to connect with Mooney, the defenses will finally have to play the Bears honest, and that's when things really start to take off.

I can confidently tell you no Bears QB, regardless of stat lines, has ever even APPROACHED the threshold Fields now finds himself at in terms of development.

There's reason to get hyped, instead of being a sour meatball.

Weebey Brice

Formerly Caleb Williams/Weebay
Liked Posts:

Trubisky never sold me because in terms of how he handled his reads, he never progressed. He never got better. He'd always overthrow his deep man by 10 yards. Even with some success vs weaker teams, he never looked any different. Always struggled reading defenses.

If you can't tell the difference between Mitch and Justin, then this has less to do with what the fanbase will settle for, and more to do with you don't know what the fuck you are looking at when evaluating quarterbacks, so all you go by is a stat line.

Fields took some significant steps these past 2 games. There are signs of growth that were NEVER there with Mitch, or really ANY QB in the modern era for the Bears - not Grossman, not Orton, not McNown, not McCown, Not Mitch - NO ONE (excluding Cutler because he was a finished product when we got him, deficiencies and all, and no one was going to change him).

Shit, one can look at just the Commanders game on its own, and you can see the growth even within the game itself... The more comfortable Fields got, the quicker his release got, and the better his anticipatory throws got. Can you even tell that? Or you just looking at stat lines?

Now, all that said, he needs to maintain this. Defenses are going to change again and try to take away DJ Moore. If Fields has an answer and can start to connect with Mooney, the defenses will finally have to play the Bears honest, and that's when things really start to take off.

I can confidently tell you no Bears QB, regardless of stat lines, has ever even APPROACHED the threshold Fields now finds himself at in terms of development.

Sure he has played well these last two games I’m not disputing that. I’m just saying a couple of good games doesn’t negate what we saw in the first couple of weeks and a good portion of his career where he has been a poor passer. I gotta be honest with you I don’t think DJ Moore has played a that big of a factor in his success these last two games as crazy as it sounds. Fields efficiency as a passer is solely DEPENDENT upon how good the run game is. A run game helps every QB, but most QBs in this league can function without a the run. Once defenses adjust and stop the run, he becomes pretty erratic in the pocket. Look at the second half of the Commanders game once they adjusted, he was pretty inefficient, the offense was stall. I remember he overthrew DJ Moore on an easy TD, he has had some passes that would’ve been INTs against any decent secondary. Even in the second half of the Broncos game, same thing. Defense adjusted, and the offense became pretty stall. Granted Herbert’s injury played a factor in the Commanders game, but he is way too inconsistent to be totally sure he’s the guy. Curious to see how he does this week without Herbert. The Vikings defense might not look good on paper but they are a scrappy bunch. They gave Mahomes some problems early on in that game. Flores is definitely gonna throw all types of looks at Fields.

Btw Cutler was not a finished product when we got him. He was 25, a Pro Bowler, and the potential was still there. I don’t know what you’re talking about there.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Yeah…Nope, we know how this story ends sadly. But I’ll just go with the flow I guess.

View attachment 31666

I avoided the Fields/DJ connection hype in the off season. I would've been pretty pissed if I fell for it all Summer and then went 4 weeks without seeing any of what was promised.
If it's starting now why not enjoy it while it lasts?
It could last this mini-bye and come crashing down Sunday. It could be the start of a long beautiful thing that hasn't happened in most people's lifetimes.

I do agree with the insanity, but it's not even week to week, it's play to play LOL

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The team believes that when Fields' footwork is clean, that guides his eyes, and good things happen in the pocket.

LOL at the footwork tweet after Fields threw out what they had been telling him to do and went back to what felt natural. Left foot back for timing my ass.

I believe he's still doing it that way. Left foot back. He liked it

Milky

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sure he has played well these last two games I’m not disputing that. I’m just saying a couple of good games doesn’t negate what we saw in the first couple of weeks and a good portion of his career where he has been a poor passer. I gotta be honest with you I don’t think DJ Moore has played a that big of a factor in his success these last two games as crazy as it sounds. Fields efficiency as a passer is solely DEPENDENT upon how good the run game is. A run game helps every QB, but most QBs in this league can function without a the run. Once defenses adjust and stop the run, he becomes pretty erratic in the pocket. Look at the second half of the Commanders game once they adjusted, he was pretty inefficient, the offense was stall. I remember he overthrew DJ Moore on an easy TD, he has had some passes that would’ve been INTs against any decent secondary. Even in the second half of the Broncos game, same thing. Defense adjusted, and the offense became pretty stall. Granted Herbert’s injury played a factor in the Commanders game, but he is way too inconsistent to be totally sure he’s the guy. Curious to see how he does this week without Herbert. The Vikings defense might not look good on paper but they are a scrappy bunch. They gave Mahomes some problems early on in that game. Flores is definitely gonna throw all types of looks at Fields.

Btw Cutler was not a finished product when we got him. He was 25, a Pro Bowler, and the potential was still there. I don’t know what you’re talking about there.
You’ll have to excuse MJY he’s really good at pretending he knows what he’s looking at but really all of “his” analysis is based on tweets and YouTube, you know other people’s analysis.

That said you are partially correct. The O stalled against the Broncos and it cost them the game along with JF1’s turnovers. The O started to stall against the Commanders but JF1 and Moore pushed back on their adjustments and eventually got the O rolling again in the 2nd half. That is progress.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I believe he's still doing it that way. Left foot back. He liked it
He supported his coaches and obviously never liked it.

It reminded me of when Mitch came out looking like a ballerina in 2019. He had relatively lazy feet in college where people here thought he had good feet before the draft. He was a hip thrower and that worked for him. He was never good at reads but it got even worse while he had more to think about, trying to 'fix' things with that drop back pitter patter.

Last edited:

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

Cutler was a finished product because by the time we got him, he would not develop any further. Many OCs tried, but he was the same player from the time we got him to retirement. If he were coachable, he certainly could have been a lot more than what he was, but unfortunately he wasn't.

That's the reason during his era you would hear a lot of pro bowl corners who had success against Cutler say "That's Jay being Jay". The book was out on him, and he wasn't going to change it. He was predictable to the better corners in the league.

Moses Moreno

Liked Posts:
He supported his coaches and obviously never liked it.

It reminded me of when Mitch came out looking like a ballerina in 2019. He had relatively lazy feet in college where people here thought he had good feet before the draft. He was a hip thrower and that worked for him. He was never good at reads but it got even worse while he had more to think about, trying to 'fix' things with that drop back pitter patter.

Listen to them talk - Justin ain't Mitch.

Here's the reality:
-the line was a mess to start the year, Davis/Jenkins getting fully back help both the running and passing game
-Justin was dealing with new footwork mechanics - he was playing overwhelmed
-Claypool is outta here - he was clearly throwing the vibes off. Both Mooney and ESB will be good soldiers and not complain about touches
-that gives enough space for DJ to be our clear WR1

When Justin trusts his OL and weapons, he's a killer big game hunter and in the back of his mind he's still the best game breaking scrambler I've ever seen. His ceiling is fucking absurd.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Fields has played REALLY well 7 of the last 8 quarters. And really it was just 2 mistakes in the Denver game. So we can call it 2 great games in a row. It's encouraging to see.

Things are trending up but we have been burned by hot stretches in the past only to be disappointed. He has to keep it up. And I am not saying he has to throw 4 TDs every game. But we just can't go back to holding the ball too long if teams decide to take away DJ Moore. Or miss seeing wide open receivers on different coverages. Or missing the hot read on blitzes. Ofcourse there will be games where the other defense plays well. But if that comfort level is there. The recognition is there. If we see that the majority of the time the rest of the season... then we can talk about a contract extension. But all these puff reports are just premature as of now.

LiverpoolBearsFAn

Liked Posts:
Seems to me Fields throws the ball mid to long range really well. Strong arm, and accurate putting it into tight windows or where the defensive player can’t get it..

Bears have never played to that strength, possibly due to lack of weapons or poor O-Line play. With Moore on the team and giving Fields time we could be in business.

I’d like to see Getsy stretch the field by taking some early shots downfield, then open up opportunities to run the ball as the defence gets backpedaled.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Seems to me Fields throws the ball mid to long range really well. Strong arm, and accurate putting it into tight windows or where the defensive player can’t get it..

Bears have never played to that strength, possibly due to lack of weapons or poor O-Line play. With Moore on the team and giving Fields time we could be in business.

I’d like to see Getsy stretch the field by taking some early shots downfield, then open up opportunities to run the ball as the defence gets backpedaled.

It's the OL. We have not seen pass pro as good as we did on Thursday in years.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Listen to them talk - Justin ain't Mitch.

Here's the reality:
-the line was a mess to start the year, Davis/Jenkins getting fully back help both the running and passing game
-Justin was dealing with new footwork mechanics - he was playing overwhelmed
-Claypool is outta here - he was clearly throwing the vibes off. Both Mooney and ESB will be good soldiers and not complain about touches
-that gives enough space for DJ to be our clear WR1

When Justin trusts his OL and weapons, he's a killer big game hunter and in the back of his mind he's still the best game breaking scrambler I've ever seen. His ceiling is fucking absurd.
-Fields was still holding the ball when he shouldn't and stepping into sacks early this year. Play calling could definitely been better and helped more but this was all part of trying to change his stripes which was a huge error and part of my point.

-Who TF said he was Mitch. It was an example of coaching doing more harm than good by taking a player out of his comfort zone. Your 2nd point was all I stated. Don't understand why you appear to be disagreeing while saying the exact same thing.

-Claypool was a problem but that is not an excuse for QB play when you still have DJ, Mooney and Kmet etc. Coaching is but there was more to it.

-Fields was still holding the ball when he shouldn't and stepping into sacks early this year. DJ was always the clear #1. It is nice to see an OL working almost as Poles imagined it would fit together. Will be interesting to see what happens when Jones returns.

Everyone here hopes that Fields has turned a corner and isn't looking back. If he plays well against the Browns and Lions, it's a done deal.

Thomas31

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears

Are you going address those quoted posts made by you? If you believe something, you need to stand on it. And it's ok to say 'I was wrong', or 'I have changed my mind." That's fine. Just looks like you're talking out of both sides of your mouth...

BEARS