Kaplan: Phillips to possibly retire at season’s end

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Don't get the hate for Phillips because he isn't making the football decisions or executing the plays. Everybody signed on to hire Ryan Pace--George, Virginia, the board of directors, and other McKaskeys included. Pace was supposed to be the football guy who could draft/put together a team and bring the bears into the modern era. We know that hasn't worked. We see now the culmination of George, Ted, Virginia, and the board were all wrong. They're not going anywhere.

Show me where Ted Phillips overruled Pace during the tenure and directly put his fingerprints on this team and decisions that went into it, this roster, this coach and scheme, then I'll supply the torches, pitchforks, and riot gear.

Regarding the roster, it's all Pace and his decisions. Did Phillips move up 1 spot to take Mitch? Did Phillips chase FA with big $ because he missed on draft picks/FA? Did Phillips have 1 good 1st round pick in 5 years? Did Phillips ignore the OLine and abandon the run game? Did he execute poorly on the field/quit on plays?

There was a time where he was the cheapskate/bad guy. But it's not now. He's been with the organization for almost 40 years and has made them worth 3.52 billion per Forbes. He'd have to retire because he sure as shit isn't getting fired with those results.

This I think is correct. The drama of sell the team, fire Ted Phillips as these are the problems is where I think Bears fans sound stupid. However, they do still pick the GM.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This would be the dream scenario.
The Bears could finally reorganize their football hierarchy which would give them a better shot at being successful.
They could finally get a proven NFL exec to run the entire football operation.
Imagine the added checks and balances which would be so beneficial in creating a successful, sustainable operation.
Something like which was posted before..

President of Football Operations: Rick Smith
GM: Mike Borgonzi

I went to the 2007.Bears Super Bowl with Rick Smith if you mean the former Texans GM.

Luke

Liked Posts:
I went to the 2007.Bears Super Bowl with Rick Smith if you mean the former Texans GM.

Yes, that Rick Smith.
He was also executive vice president of football operations for the Texans so he has experience at that level as well.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Don't get the hate for Phillips because he isn't making the football decisions or executing the plays. Everybody signed on to hire Ryan Pace--George, Virginia, the board of directors, and other McKaskeys included. Pace was supposed to be the football guy who could draft/put together a team and bring the bears into the modern era. We know that hasn't worked. We see now the culmination of George, Ted, Virginia, and the board were all wrong. They're not going anywhere.

Show me where Ted Phillips overruled Pace during the tenure and directly put his fingerprints on this team and decisions that went into it, this roster, this coach and scheme, then I'll supply the torches, pitchforks, and riot gear.

Regarding the roster, it's all Pace and his decisions. Did Phillips move up 1 sq0ot to take Mitch? Did Phillips chase FA with big $ because he missed on draft picks/FA? Did Phillips have 1 good 1st round pick in 5 years? Did Phillips ignore the OLine and abandon the run game? Did he execute poorly on the field/quit on plays?

There was a time where he was the cheapskate/bad guy. But it's not now. He's been with the organization for almost 40 years and has made them worth 3.52 billion per Forbes. He'd have to retire because he sure as shit isn't getting fired with those results.

I thought Forbes declared the bears one of the worst run franchises in sports, when weighing the ratios between revenue, growth versus peers, local market size, national fan base, etc.

Halas built a winner. They have not maximized profits like the cowboys with cheap and short sized focus on revenue.

Their tight asses cost themselves billions in potential revenue. But I guess...

Good job?

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
I going to call BS on this one. His job has been to make money. Its not his job to win games. So far he has done what the mccaskeys have asked him to do.

thats true but dont forget, he's also been involved in interviewing candidates and providing feedback.

Monster

Liked Posts:
I thought Forbes declared the bears one of the worst run franchises in sports, when weighing the ratios between revenue, growth versus peers, local market size, national fan base, etc.

Halas built a winner. They have not maximized profits like the cowboys with cheap and short sized focus on revenue.

Good job?

They have them 7th in value...

It makes you wonder if the ownership doesn’t have a high motivation because profits are still there...
Would be great to have a highly competitive team for a few years...

Last edited:

mecha

Liked Posts:
Going to be great when Ted Phillips does retire, nothing about the on the field product changes, and some posters have to find another boogeyman to blame.

the next shit quarterback they draft. then we, the fanbase, will promote the concept of the backup being the better player. they will be proven equally shitty within the shitty system.

where have I seen this before?

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
This is perhaps where a 'football guy' in that President of F.O. would have helped Ryan avoid the pitfalls of confirmation bias. As I noted in another thread, 'benevolent enablers' can be extremely damaging in an organization...especially one that is as 'unscientific' as football.

This I think is correct. The drama of sell the team, fire Ted Phillips as these are the problems is where I think Bears fans sound stupid. However, they do still pick the GM.

Who is this 'football guy' and what would he have/should he have done differently that Ted did/didn't do? That was the whole point of Ernie Accorsi, right? He was a 'football guy' with an impressive resume and he gave us Ryan Pace as the best option and the bears gave him the reigns. McKaskeys and Ted signed off on that, hold that against them if you will but you can't have it both ways--you can't say they hired the wrong guy then didn't step in and micromanage the bad decisions like a parent with a teenager's first credit card.

The Pittsburgh Steelers have a hierarchy just like the bears (except one of the Rooney kids is the president, not a 'football guy' just like bears with Teddy) and they are very successful. They got lucky in a lot of facets, but ultimately found talent at QB, cultivated it, protected it, built a system with a smart coach and the rest fell into place--a lot of the times imperfectly--but results happened.

Fans like to over-complicate, but there really isn't a right way or a wrong way to do this, and there's nothing wrong with keeping Teddy so long as he's hands-off and the 'football guy' at GM guesses right on a few things.

You'll have to find the right GM with a plan, as opposed to Pace who just dug himself deeper because he set himself behind the 8 ball with bad decisions/guesses he made.

Good job?

We're not talking about Halas.

And the bears, though going through a painful couple of decades are far from one of the worst run franchises in all of sports.

What were the bears worth in 1984? I can't find that number, but in 2002, they were worth $540 million. Now they're 3.5 billion. You're an idiot if you're going to argue those results/wonder why Teddy is president.

And the bears are a lot of things, but 'tight asses that cost themselves in potential revenue' is not one of them. They guess wrong a lot and deserve every ounce of criticism for the people they pick getting fired because of bad decisions. But cheap? They are not.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
They have them 7th in value...

It makes you wonder if the ownership doesn’t have a high motivation because profits are still there...
Would be great to have a highly competitive team for a few years...
They have the largest unshared market, die hard Midwest football support that stretches every direction in the football worshiping farm belt and most dont have pro teams, and snow bird fans everywhere in the world that is warm because their town spreads a culture of sports joy and love.

Just because their revenue and worth increased does not mean they did a good job with what they had.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
They have the largest unshared market, die hard Midwest football support that stretches every direction in the football worshiping farm belt and most dont have pro teams, and snow bird fans everywhere in the world that is warm because their town spreads a culture of sports joy and love.

Just because there revenue and worth increased does not mean they did a good job with what they had.

Seriously. Is there any team that actually hasn’t increased in value since 1984? Lol

Cmon...

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Who is this 'football guy' and what would he have/should he have done differently that Ted did/didn't do? That was the whole point of Ernie Accorsi, right? He was a 'football guy' with an impressive resume and he gave us Ryan Pace as the best option and the bears gave him the reigns. McKaskeys and Ted signed off on that, hold that against them if you will but you can't have it both ways--you can't say they hired the wrong guy then didn't step in and micromanage the bad decisions like a parent with a teenager's first credit card.

The Pittsburgh Steelers have a hierarchy just like the bears (except one of the Rooney kids is the president, not a 'football guy' just like bears with Teddy) and they are very successful. They got lucky in a lot of facets, but ultimately found talent at QB, cultivated it, protected it, built a system with a smart coach and the rest fell into place--a lot of the times imperfectly--but results happened.

Fans like to over-complicate, but there really isn't a right way or a wrong way to do this, and there's nothing wrong with keeping Teddy so long as he's hands-off and the 'football guy' at GM guesses right on a few things.

You'll have to find the right GM with a plan, as opposed to Pace who just dug himself deeper because he set himself behind the 8 ball with bad decisions/guesses he made.

And the bears, though going through a painful couple of decades are far from one of the worst run franchises in all of sports.

What were the bears worth in 1984? I can't find that number, but in 2002, they were worth $540 million. Now they're 3.5 billion. You're an idiot if you're going to argue those results/wonder why Teddy is president.

And the bears are a lot of things, but 'tight asses that cost themselves in potential revenue' is not one of them. They guess wrong a lot and deserve every ounce of criticism for the people they pick getting fired because of bad decisions. But cheap? They are not.
I guess you don't know the McCaskeys.

What about all the money hiding they have Stein put into bonuses and probably the reason they love bad contracts?

The bears are all about dead cap space so they can cash chips.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm probably in the minority here, but honestly I'd like to see what Pace could/would do without Phillips

Recklessly trade even more picks???

Ted Phillips has been more hands off with Ryan Pace than his predecessors and this is the result.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
I guess you don't know the McCaskeys.

What about all the money hiding they have Stein put into bonuses and probably the reason they live bad contracts.

The bears are all about dead cap space so they can cash chips.

Cliff Stein hasn't had anything to do with moving/hiding money since 2015. It's now a guy named Joey Laine. And if I recall, Stein was one of the best in the business to stretch cap to get that other guy on a deal that you needed. Not sure how that's a direct indictment of Phillip unless you can show me he kicked Peppers' money down the road to one bad year after cutting him/doing again with Mack now.

Try again.

One Team

Liked Posts:

I think you are over complicating things...my point was that if someone were in the P.F.O. (no offense intended) role, there would be a day to day facilitator to assist the GM with the multitude of options/outcomes of the plethora of football decisions.

To my understanding, Uncle Ernie isn't there on a day to day basis... but please carry on with your narrative as your energy is admirable.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
McKaskeys and Ted signed off on that, hold that against them if you will but you can't have it both ways--you can't say they hired the wrong guy then didn't step in and micromanage the bad decisions like a parent with a teenager's first credit card.
This x's 1,000,000

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
I think you are over complicating things...my point was that if someone were in the P.F.O. (no offense intended) role, there would be a day to day facilitator to assist the GM with the multitude of options/outcomes of the plethora of football decisions.

To my understanding, Uncle Ernie isn't there on a day to day basis... but please carry on with your narrative as your energy is admirable.

I get it feels that way/I was pretty wordy with the response. I don't think it's overcomplicating to ask to define the terms/clarify when one throws out a generalization like "just hire a football guy to run things" when that was literally what the bears did in 2015 when they hired Pace through a consultant/Uncle Ernie (love it)--another football guy.