Kentucky Edge-Rusher Bud Dupree Has Rare Talent, but Raw Skills

-Cago34-

CCS Mock Draft Champion
Donator
Liked Posts:
GREAT article. Fascinating read.

Dupree might appear to be too rich a selection at #7 overall, but if you have concerns about Beasley's size, you settle on Dupree.

Like the article says, the perception is its a reach, but if he can achieve Wake or Orakpo-like production, you turn in the card and don't think twice.

Fuck Kiper and McShay's draft board - trust your eyes.

I've seen him mocked as early as #8 to Atlanta, not that it really matters though. I really like Dupree, he's my favorite OLB prospect in the draft. His size and athletic ability can't be overlooked, he seems like a coachable kid also. He also offers scheme/position versatility which is huge in my opinion, I'm not sure you can say that about the other players mentioned in his group(Ray, Fowler, Gregory, Beasley).

-Cago34-

CCS Mock Draft Champion
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is why I don't want anything to do with Dupree in the top 10. I don't get why everyone is so OMG on Dupree.

The one thing that article doesn't point out, is who didn't make it in the NFL with those measurables. It's pretty easy to bring up a half dozen WRs who ran under a 4.4 with a below 6.8 3cone that have had success in the NFL, but it really doesn't tell the whole story. The article is very misleading. It does not show all of the cases of study. It highlights a few that make the case for one player.

To compare, Benardrick McKinney had a vertical of 40.5" and a broad jump of 10'1". This should translate to explosion and power, but when I watch McKinney, pla da gam o' football, he's soft, has no power and is often moved around at will by Olinemen. This was confirmed by his 16 reps on the bench press. The guy is 6'4" but has 33" arms. Those are very short arms for how tall he is. And he only did 16 reps. He has no upper body strength and it shows on tape.

Dupree does not show explosion of the ball but his vertical and broad jump suggest he should. Tape doesn't lie!

Also, the others mentioned in the article were damn good at one position in college. None of them had the type of learning curve Dupree will. This comparison is very much apples and oranges. If you want to hype the guy, show me tape, plays or technique that translate to the NFL. Until then, Dupree is nothing more than a combine warrior with a 2nd round grade.

[video]http://draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=251875&gif=MiniatureTallIndianpangolin[/video]

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Ray is still my guy but I really like Dupree and he is my 2b after Fowler.

Ray looks the most explosive on tape, plays like his hair is on fire and he plays with aggression, Fowler has the entire package and looks like a prototypical edge player with his length and athleticism while Dupree is just the best all-around athlete and looks like a monster.

Larsonite

Guacamole Taco
Liked Posts:
[video]http://draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=251875&gif=MiniatureTallIndianpangolin[/video]

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Oline was not set and they did not get off the ball when it was snapped. The entire defense was behind the LOS on that play!

Try again!

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Oline was not set and they did not get off the ball when it was snapped. The entire defense was behind the LOS on that play!

Try again!

Called it...
Watch what he does in other games Lars.. he's asked to Spy and cover a zone quite a bit. When he's asked to T off, he does it extremely well with not much coaching. Get this guy some better technique and he'll wreak havoc.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Try again!

There's no point. The play shows his explosion. Shot out of a cannon type explosion. Jail break or not its easy to see.

Larsonite

Guacamole Taco
Liked Posts:
Called it...
Watch what he does in other games Lars.. he's asked to Spy and cover a zone quite a bit. When he's asked to T off, he does it extremely well with not much coaching. Get this guy some better technique and he'll wreak havoc.

I'm not down on the guy, I'm not saying he'll be a total bust but I do think he has a lot more work a head of him than most of the other top DE/OLB. I would rather have Hauoli Kikaha from Washington than Dupree. I think they should both be early 2nd round picks. I get that Dupree has the high ceiling and Kikaha has a low ceiling. But when I watch each of their play, IMO Kikaha played better and offers more as a football player. I really don't like manufacturing a player or projecting their success as a reason to draft or hype them.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
I'll take whoever Fangio identifies with a smile. For the record, the bears have met with Dupree. Who they bring in for private workouts will be more telling. Its like cheating for fans. When these private visits leak every year. The player drafted is almost always on the list of pre draft visits. I believe each team is allowed 30.

Larsonite

Guacamole Taco
Liked Posts:
There's no point. The play shows his explosion. Shot out of a cannon type explosion. Jail break or not its easy to see.

Watch it again! and again!

The center telegraphs the play to the defense. Dupree is off the ball when the center rises, not when the ball is snapped. The center is almost completely in his stance before his fellow Olinemen even take their first step. The RT doesn't even try to block Dupree. On the surface, this play looks like Dupree is off the ball fast but he isn't.

That play is a joke! Watch it again!

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Watch it again! and again!

The center telegraphs the play to the defense. Dupree is off the ball when the center rises, not when the ball is snapped. The center is almost completely in his stance before his fellow Olinemen even take their first step. That play is a joke! Watch it again!
I've watched it 6 times in a row. I'm good. Its also one play. I don't care enough about one particular play because it never defines one player.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Fangio's guy in SF Aldon Smith played a similar role to Shane Ray at Missouri. Played predominantly with his hand in the dirt and kicked inside in sub packages.

Aldon Smith and Dante Fowler look the most alike from a size and arm length stand point.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:

That play was the center hiking the ball at the wrong time. Look at all of the offensive linemen.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
There are really good options for pass rushers in the top 10, it's pretty crazy. The only way I'll be pissed with the pick is if CHI misses out on this great class of OLB/DL. I'd be passed if they passed on Shelton, Gregory, Ray, Beasley, Fowler, Dupree, etc.

BringBackDitka54

Liked Posts:
Get this guy some better technique and he'll wreak havoc.

Sounds familiar...
Kyle-Long-400x242.jpg

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
There are really good options for pass rushers in the top 10, it's pretty crazy. The only way I'll be pissed with the pick is if CHI misses out on this great class of OLB/DL. I'd be passed if they passed on Shelton, Gregory, Ray, Beasley, Fowler, Dupree, etc.

You are right. So long as Pace doesn't pull an Emery, we should all be happy to some extent.

-Cago34-

CCS Mock Draft Champion
Donator
Liked Posts:
That play was the center hiking the ball at the wrong time. Look at all of the offensive linemen.

I get it, I posted it because the anti-Dupree said he doesn't show explosion off the ball. The gif shows explosion off the snap whether or not the OL was set.

Larsonite

Guacamole Taco
Liked Posts:
I get it, I posted it because the anti-Dupree said he doesn't show explosion off the ball. The gif shows explosion off the snap whether or not the OL was set.

You're making two false claims. First, I'm not anti-Dupree, rather just trying to bring you guys down to earth. Second, watch his 40 yard dash, specifically the first step. It just isn't there. I don't care what he ended up running, that first step is not explosive.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000473345/article/kentuckys-bud-dupree-runs-456-40yard-dash-at-combine

"As athletic as he is, Dupree was "not consistent enough" at Kentucky, according to Mayock. Fellow analyst Charles Davis said that when he watches tape of Dupree, "I don't find him as much as I'm looking for." In addition, fellow analyst Daniel Jeremiah said Dupree "is not very refined" and "needs a runway" as a pass rusher."

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:

Sorry, I came in the middle of the conversation so I just mentioned the center's mistake.

He does have a fast first step, he just needs consistency with it.

He also needs to work on his redirection, he loses the sack sometimes when the QB moves into the pocket or moves back.