Kerry Wood ---> retired

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
With exception to 2003 and his Strikeout game he was a mediocre pitcher. I do not get the love affair with Cub fans regarding him. He was a player often hurt and never reaching his potential and what the Cubs and baseball thought this guy would be. 200 innings twice and than the DL stints. Love Chicago! where fans worship mediocre players.
Actually very incorrect based on a lot of things. He wasn't some all time great but by most factors, counting stats, metrics etc when Wood pitched a good amount to a lot(which was more than people think) he was good to really good for the most part. 2 of the last 4 years have been bad/ absurdly average and "meh" but you don't have the most K/9 for a RHP in MLB history for someone who's thrown at least a 1000 innings by being "mediocre" aside from one season and one game.

You're way off the reservation on this one.

the thought of that is so stupid. Can you imagine if this happened and dunn launches one onto sheffield followed by more walks. dumbest and riskiest thing to do.

He's getting into the game at some point. Might as well get it out of the way early. Give up a run or two early, rather than late in the game when it could matter much more in a tight spot.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wasn't the strike zone wider back then before they shrunk it to increase offense, or was I hallucinating again?

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Actually very incorrect based on a lot of things. He wasn't some all time great but by most factors, counting stats, metrics etc when Wood pitched a good amount to a lot(which was more than people think) he was good to really good for the most part. 2 of the last 4 years have been bad/ absurdly average and "meh" but you don't have the most K/9 for a RHP in MLB history for someone who's thrown at least a 1000 innings by being "mediocre" aside from one season and one game.

You're way off the reservation on this one.

He's getting into the game at some point. Might as well get it out of the way early. Give up a run or two early, rather than late in the game when it could matter much more in a tight spot.

I see what you are saying, and yes I used the wrong wording. I should have stated "when healthy" he was pretty damn good. I used mediocre loosely. The problem has always been his health, he has never really gotten to be that "ace" for a consistent period of time because of that. I just dont understand the love fest that is with the fans and Kerry Wood. Yes the video you posted was sick, yes he was fucking dominant in 2003. The rest of his career numbers (because of injury) werent all that great. sure his k/9 is descent again small sizes after he couldnt stay in the rotation after 2005. Career Whip is ok, career ERA is ok, but for most of the years he was a reliever and Im trying to figure out the logic behind the love. thats all. :dunno:

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Most of the love and goodwill stems from that 20K game. Cubs fans haven't had a lot to celebrate, as you well know.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I just dont understand the love fest that is with the fans and Kerry Wood.
You have to understand context of a few things.

1. Wood is a really good guy. Does great work in and around Chicago. Loves the city. It's his adopted home.

2. For a fanbase that hasn't had much to cheer about for hundred plus seasons Wood has given them a lot to cheer about.

3. The connection to Prior is made a lot and frankly Prior is seen as a bit of a bitch. When Prior was complaining of shoulder soreness and was throwing towels with Rothchild Wood was giving no excuses or interviews and working his ass off.

4. Wood has taken multiple hometown discounts to stay. He's this generations Ron Santo in some ways.

There's a lot that goes into it. I don't see the hero worship I just see the Cubs and the fans respecting the hell out of a pretty damn good baseball player who loved playing for the organization and the city when at times there wasn't much to love

The rest of his career numbers (because of injury) werent all that great.
Again. Really incorrect.

sure his k/9 is descent again small sizes after he couldnt stay in the rotation after 2005.
1. Incorrect.

2. Small sample sizes? Come on. You're looking at a rate stat for a guy who pitched nearly 1400 innings. GTFO w/ "small sample size"
but for most of the years he was a reliever
And a pretty damn good one.

Last edited:

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm still lol about the strike zone business. The pitcher takes what the hitters and the umpires give him with regards to the zone. I'm not sure why that's even a point of contention. Not to mention that most guys who get a generous zone don't strike out 20 guys :lol:

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm still lol about the strike zone business. The pitcher takes what the hitters and the umpires give him with regards to the zone. I'm not sure why that's even a point of contention. Not to mention that most guys who get a generous zone don't strike out 20 guys :lol:

Exactly no one here is saying Buerhle's perfect game isn't impressive because Eric Cooper was behind the plate.

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You have to understand context of a few things.

1. Wood is a really good guy. Does great work in and around Chicago. Loves the city. It's his adopted home.

2. For a fanbase that hasn't had much to cheer about for hundred plus seasons Wood has given them a lot to cheer about.

3. The connection to Prior is made a lot and frankly Prior is seen as a bit of a bitch. When Prior was complaining of shoulder soreness and was throwing towels with Rothchild Wood was giving no excuses or interviews and working his ass off.

4. Wood has taken multiple hometown discounts to stay. He's this generations Ron Santo in some ways.

There's a lot that goes into it. I don't see the hero worship I just see the Cubs and the fans respecting the hell out of a pretty damn good baseball player who loved playing for the organization and the city when at times there wasn't much to love

Again. Really incorrect.

1. Incorrect.

2. Small sample sizes? Come on. You're looking at a rate stat for a guy who pitched nearly 1400 innings. GTFO w/ "small sample size"

And a pretty damn good one.

never knew Wood Jr posted here.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
The funny thing is that Wood's 20 K game had a better game score than any perfect game on record if the database was correct.

Even Randy Johnson's 20 K game wasn't up to snuff partly because he gave up those hits and a run. Roger Clemens' 20 K games were also lower because he gave up more hits and a homer in one of them. I guess you could try to downplay it because Clemens had to deal with a DH while Wood saw the pitcher or pinch-hitter three times, but that's only two of the 20 strikeouts in that spot. That game was quite literally the best-pitched game ever if you only went by game score. The only way it could've been better is if he struck out one more hitter or gave up no baserunners at all...but that's impossible since Craig Biggio is a HBP magnet :D

Tazer4mvp

Liked Posts:
The 20k game was prob the worst thing to happen to that guy..not a cub fan but stinks he had to go out like that.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
The 20k game was prob the worst thing to happen to that guy..not a cub fan but stinks he had to go out like that.

Cubs fans, like all baseball fans, are always stuck on the first impression and think that is the way the career will be paced forever.

I was also wondering again whether the strike zone back then was a bit wider by rule or de facto per umpire average than nowadays. I thought I read at some point they shrunk the zone because offense was stagnant and then widened it again when pitchers complained but now I can't find it.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cubs fans, like all baseball fans, are always stuck on the first impression and think that is the way the career will be paced forever.

I was also wondering again whether the strike zone back then was a bit wider by rule or de facto per umpire average than nowadays. I thought I read at some point they shrunk the zone because offense was stagnant and then widened it again when pitchers complained but now I can't find it.

I doubt that's true considering back in 1998 we were in the middle of the steroid era. Offense wasn't really an issue then.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I forgot if someone had mentioned it yet, but the strike should be called at the point where the ball crosses the plate and not where the catcher receives it. Some of those pitches had crazy horizontal zing.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:

I don't recall that about the strikezone. I remember I think it was in the early 2000s an emphasis on the high strike which lasted for only a year or two, but that is the only "adjustment" in the strikezone I can recall being talked about.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I forgot if someone had mentioned it yet, but the strike should be called at the point where the ball crosses the plate and not where the catcher receives it. Some of those pitches had crazy horizontal zing.

Agrees but it doesn't move that much in such a short distance (less than 3 feet)

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Agrees but it doesn't move that much in such a short distance (less than 3 feet)

Actually it does.

While you are busy looking up what OPS+ is, do yourself a favor and research pitch f/x as well.