Kevin Mawae: Brian Urlacher Was A Better Middle Linebacker Than Ray Lewis

PAPABEAR77

Liked Posts:
You act like you are plugged in, but really you don't know shit.

"After spending a lot of time this spring thinking about my NFL future, I have made a decision to retire," Urlacher said in a statement he posted on Twitter. "Although I could continue playing, I'm not sure I would bring a level of performance or passion that's up to my standards."

Urlacher never visited teams as a free agent. He discussed contract parameters with some teams that were interested, but there were never serious negotiations, a source told ESPN NFL Insider Ed Werder.

"We talked to every team in the NFL, and maybe in July or August it would have happened, but I'm not going to wait,"
Urlacher said. "I want to be somewhere where somebody wants me. I don't want to go somewhere where, 'Oh, so-and-so got hurt, we need you.' I don't want that to be the situation.

"The Bears offered me the contract they offered me and that was probably the best contract I was going to get from anywhere. And I'm not going to put my body through what it goes through for what the offer was."
Those close to Urlacher think his primary motivation to play again was the result of not wanting his career to end with a subpar 2012 season.

Former Bears coach Mike Ditka said he was golfing at the same club as Urlacher on Tuesday, when Urlacher hinted at retirement.

"I asked him what he was going to do and he wasn't sure, but he said, 'I think I'm going to hang them up, 13 years, it's been a long time,'" Ditka said on "The Carmen & Jurko Show" on ESPN Chicago 1000. "And basically, that's what he said.

A sprained MCL in the 2011 season finale at Minnesota played at least a small role in Urlacher's value diminishing to the Bears. Urlacher injured his left knee when he collided with teammate Major Wright in the end zone during the fourth quarter against the Vikings.

It was believed initially that surgery wouldn't be required on the injured knee. But after participating in the first few workouts of training camp in 2012, Urlacher underwent an arthroscopic debridement procedure on the knee, which kept him out of the entire preseason. Urlacher returned to practice on Sept. 3 and played in the Sept. 9 opener against the Indianapolis Colts.

Throughout the season, the Bears kept Urlacher on a limited practice schedule, and that contributed to the linebacker struggling to regain form.

Urlacher put together a nine-tackle performance in Week 13 against the Seahawks, but he suffered a hamstring injury while chasing down quarterback Russell Wilson during a 23-17 loss in overtime, which ended his 2012 season with four games remaining. Before that, Urlacher had played in every game in the two previous years after missing 15 games in 2009 due to a broken wrist.

"My knee feels great, finally," Urlacher said. "This is the first I got to work out and not just do rehab. ... But I can look at myself in the mirror and say 'There's no way I'll be the player I used to be, or what I think I need to be out there.' Mentally? Yeah, I have it. But physically, I'm not what I used to be. There's no doubt about that. My knee is never going to be the same. I saw that last year, even when I started getting better. I'll never be able to move like I want to. ... I can't do what I want to do and it's frustrating."

This is Brian Urlacher’s official explanation for his NFL retirement:

“Although I could continue playing, I’m not sure I would bring a performance or passion that’s up to my standards,” Urlacher wrote Wednesday when announcing his decision on Twitter. “When considering this, along with the fact I could retire after a 13-year career wearing only one jersey for such a storied franchise, my decision became pretty clear.”

This is what should be read between the lines:

Nobody was willing to pay me what I wanted so I’m calling it quits.

Urlacher shouldn’t be criticized for such thinking. In fact, what Urlacher experienced this offseason is just the start of a trend that will push more storied NFL veterans into early retirement.

There are teams that felt Urlacher still had enough in the tank to bolster a Super Bowl-ready roster for the 2013 campaign. The same goes for clubs that considered Urlacher a short-term fix while he helped groom their young linebackers to become top-flight professionals themselves.

Under the previous Collective Bargaining Agreement, those franchises would have had more guaranteed money to offer because of the league’s sizeable salary cap increases each season. Teams could sign an older player like Urlacher to a multiyear contract knowing he wouldn’t play to the end of the deal. That squad could then comfortably carry the remainder of Urlacher’s prorated cap hit as “dead money” by spreading it over future seasons.

That isn’t nearly as attractive an option with the cap remaining relatively flat for at least the next few seasons under the new CBA agreed between the league and NFL Players Association in July 2011.

With scarce exceptions this offseason, the lucrative free-agent contracts were given to players projected to become stars like wide receiver Mike Wallace (Miami), guard Andy Levitre (Buffalo) and tight end Jared Cook (St. Louis) rather than those who have proven themselves as such in the past. Many big-name veterans in their 30s who were either released or became free agents have faced one of three difficult choices.

1. Ink a contract for far less than last year’s salary like safety Charles Woodson did Tuesday with Oakland.

2. Wait for a desperate team to come calling, a la outside linebacker/defensive end Dwight Freeney did with San Diego, which signed him last week after losing pass-rusher Melvin Ingram to a serious knee injury during a practice drill.

3. Retire and, as the late Paul Brown would say, get on with your life’s work like defensive back Ronde Barber recently did with Tampa Bay.

Urlacher also chose the latter, even though that wasn’t his intent in March when the Chicago Bears initially announced they were going to “move forward” without their defensive leader after 13 storied seasons.

The parting was based solely on finances. The Bears were initially willing to have Urlacher return. Urlacher told co-host Jim Miller and myself on SiriusXM NFL Radio that his agents had proposed a two-year, $11 million contract to Bears management. Chicago countered with a “take-it-or-leave-it” offer of one year at $2 million.

Urlacher didn’t take it and the Bears began adding replacements in veteran D.J. Williams and rookie Jon Bostic.

“It’s a lot of money, don’t get me wrong,” Urlacher said in March. “But for me to go through the season and put my body through what it goes through during the season at my age. I’m not going to play for that — not for the Bears at least.”

Nor anywhere else either.

There are others who are willing to accept less cash than what they had been making to keep their NFL careers alive and stave off entering the real world. The late Junior Seau is the first example that pops into my head.

But this wasn’t just about swallowing pride to remain in uniform for someone like Urlacher, who had a $7.5 million base salary in 2012. It’s trying to determine exactly how much money is enough to justify putting one’s body through what players refer to as “the grind” of football life.

The game itself was grinding down Urlacher. So he could stay on the field when injured, Urlacher has admitted to HBO’s "Real Sports" that he frequently used the pain-killer Toradol and refused to acknowledge concussion symptoms. Urlacher’s problematic knee had made him a shell of the dominant middle linebacker he once was last season. Who knows what body part would be the next to go with Urlacher turning 35 on May 25?

Urlacher wanted what he considered fair compensation to partake in the demanding training regiments that would allow him to continue playing. It doesn’t matter that, according to www.spotrac.com, Urlacher has earned almost $80 million in football salary with the Bears. If he was going to pay the physical price to return to the field, Urlacher insisted upon earning more than the current market would bear.

Urlacher will remain forever associated with the Bears by walking away now. Another future Hall of Fame linebacker who retired earlier this year – Ray Lewis – will enjoy that same type of special affiliation after spending his entire career with the Baltimore Ravens.

Despite his iconic standing with the Ravens, Lewis would surely have suffered the same offseason fate as Urlacher had he not called it quits. Lewis, too, was a declining player commanding a sizeable salary on a franchise with cap limitations.

Lewis, though, left the NFL with the rare distinction of winning a Super Bowl title in his final on-field appearance. Urlacher never got to hold the Lombardi Trophy aloft. He didn’t get a farewell “tour” like Lewis did after announcing his retirement intentions entering the playoffs.

Urlacher has come to accept that. Other NFL graybeards must learn to do the same in what has increasingly become a what-have-you-done-for-me lately kind of game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Liked Posts:

“Although I could continue playing, I’m not sure I would bring a performance or passion that’s up to my standards,” Urlacher wrote Wednesday when announcing his decision on Twitter. “When considering this, along with the fact I could retire after a 13-year career wearing only one jersey for such a storied franchise, my decision became pretty clear.”

This is what should be read between the lines:

Nobody was willing to pay me what I wanted so I’m calling it quits.

Urlacher shouldn’t be criticized for such thinking. In fact, what Urlacher experienced this offseason is just the start of a trend that will push more storied NFL veterans into early retirement.

There are teams that felt Urlacher still had enough in the tank to bolster a Super Bowl-ready roster for the 2013 campaign. The same goes for clubs that considered Urlacher a short-term fix while he helped groom their young linebackers to become top-flight professionals themselves.

Under the previous Collective Bargaining Agreement, those franchises would have had more guaranteed money to offer because of the league’s sizeable salary cap increases each season. Teams could sign an older player like Urlacher to a multiyear contract knowing he wouldn’t play to the end of the deal. That squad could then comfortably carry the remainder of Urlacher’s prorated cap hit as “dead money” by spreading it over future seasons.

That isn’t nearly as attractive an option with the cap remaining relatively flat for at least the next few seasons under the new CBA agreed between the league and NFL Players Association in July 2011.

With scarce exceptions this offseason, the lucrative free-agent contracts were given to players projected to become stars like wide receiver Mike Wallace (Miami), guard Andy Levitre (Buffalo) and tight end Jared Cook (St. Louis) rather than those who have proven themselves as such in the past. Many big-name veterans in their 30s who were either released or became free agents have faced one of three difficult choices.

1. Ink a contract for far less than last year’s salary like safety Charles Woodson did Tuesday with Oakland.

2. Wait for a desperate team to come calling, a la outside linebacker/defensive end Dwight Freeney did with San Diego, which signed him last week after losing pass-rusher Melvin Ingram to a serious knee injury during a practice drill.

3. Retire and, as the late Paul Brown would say, get on with your life’s work like defensive back Ronde Barber recently did with Tampa Bay.

Urlacher also chose the latter, even though that wasn’t his intent in March when the Chicago Bears initially announced they were going to “move forward” without their defensive leader after 13 storied seasons.

The parting was based solely on finances. The Bears were initially willing to have Urlacher return. Urlacher told co-host Jim Miller and myself on SiriusXM NFL Radio that his agents had proposed a two-year, $11 million contract to Bears management. Chicago countered with a “take-it-or-leave-it” offer of one year at $2 million.

Urlacher didn’t take it and the Bears began adding replacements in veteran D.J. Williams and rookie Jon Bostic.

“It’s a lot of money, don’t get me wrong,” Urlacher said in March. “But for me to go through the season and put my body through what it goes through during the season at my age. I’m not going to play for that — not for the Bears at least.”

Nor anywhere else either.

There are others who are willing to accept less cash than what they had been making to keep their NFL careers alive and stave off entering the real world. The late Junior Seau is the first example that pops into my head.

But this wasn’t just about swallowing pride to remain in uniform for someone like Urlacher, who had a $7.5 million base salary in 2012. It’s trying to determine exactly how much money is enough to justify putting one’s body through what players refer to as “the grind” of football life.

The game itself was grinding down Urlacher. So he could stay on the field when injured, Urlacher has admitted to HBO’s "Real Sports" that he frequently used the pain-killer Toradol and refused to acknowledge concussion symptoms. Urlacher’s problematic knee had made him a shell of the dominant middle linebacker he once was last season. Who knows what body part would be the next to go with Urlacher turning 35 on May 25?

Urlacher wanted what he considered fair compensation to partake in the demanding training regiments that would allow him to continue playing. It doesn’t matter that, according to www.spotrac.com, Urlacher has earned almost $80 million in football salary with the Bears. If he was going to pay the physical price to return to the field, Urlacher insisted upon earning more than the current market would bear.

Urlacher will remain forever associated with the Bears by walking away now. Another future Hall of Fame linebacker who retired earlier this year – Ray Lewis – will enjoy that same type of special affiliation after spending his entire career with the Baltimore Ravens.

Despite his iconic standing with the Ravens, Lewis would surely have suffered the same offseason fate as Urlacher had he not called it quits. Lewis, too, was a declining player commanding a sizeable salary on a franchise with cap limitations.

Lewis, though, left the NFL with the rare distinction of winning a Super Bowl title in his final on-field appearance. Urlacher never got to hold the Lombardi Trophy aloft. He didn’t get a farewell “tour” like Lewis did after announcing his retirement intentions entering the playoffs.

Urlacher has come to accept that. Other NFL graybeards must learn to do the same in what has increasingly become a what-have-you-done-for-me lately kind of game.

But he said it wasn't about the money, it's always about the money.

AussieBear

But he said it wasn't about the money, it's always about the money.

was about da respekt.. but money was be tied to dat perception of respeckt da urlacher be looking fer.. iirc they didnt even talk.. just a late contract offer basically saying there ye go bitch

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers

So his official agent scripted reason was because he couldn't play up to his standard, which says nothing about being pushed out by Emery. Urlacher certainly was never a fan of Emery, but by his words in interviews and this tweet, it is clear, after he got over the initial pissed off response of the 2 year $4M offer by Emery, he came to understand he was a shell of his former self.

And then, even acknowledged is it because of his gimpy knee injured in the last 5 minutes of that meaningless Vikings game. Urlacher is not going to throw Lovie under the bus for his non-malicious stupidity, just like if your life long buddy shot off your big toe by accident you wouldn't call the cops on him. It cost Urlacher a few years and millions, but Lovies defense also made Urlacher millions. Seems pretty clear.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So his official agent scripted reason was because he couldn't play up to his standard, which says nothing about being pushed out by Emery. Urlacher certainly was never a fan of Emery, but by his words in interviews and this tweet, it is clear, after he got over the initial pissed off response of the 2 year $4M offer by Emery, he came to understand he was a shell of his former self.

And then, even acknowledged is it because of his gimpy knee injured in the last 5 minutes of that meaningless Vikings game. Urlacher is not going to throw Lovie under the bus for his non-malicious stupidity, just like if your life long buddy shot off your big toe by accident you wouldn't call the cops on him. It cost Urlacher a few years and millions, but Lovies defense also made Urlacher millions. Seems pretty clear.

That was it right there BU was finished, he really was not able to play at a high level any more. Sure he could have kept at it but wouldn't have been the BU people remembered or wanted to see.

PAPABEAR77

Liked Posts:

If he didn't have a problem with emery then why didn't it take till he was fired to come back to HH ? My post was urlachers own words if you can't understand what he was saying then. That's not my deal. He wasn't going to publicly blame emery because he has class you have to put two and two together. Fucking libtards

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
If he didn't have a problem with emery then why didn't it take till he was fired to come back to HH ? My post was urlachers own words if you can't understand what he was saying then. That's not my deal. He wasn't going to publicly blame emery because he has class you have to put two and two together. Fucking libtards

Libtard? WTF are you talking about? Urlacher felt insulted at the time. He later, in his very words, stated the Bears offer was the best he was going to get, but it wasn't enough to go through everything necessary. You argued that Emery forced Urlacher, not only off the Bears, but out of the NFL. Proven wrong by Urlacher's own words, you result to some convoluted liberal touchy feely argument. Nice deflect.

PAPABEAR77

Liked Posts:
Libtard? WTF are you talking about? Urlacher felt insulted at the time. He later, in his very words, stated the Bears offer was the best he was going to get, but it wasn't enough to go through everything necessary. You argued that Emery forced Urlacher, not only off the Bears, but out of the NFL. Proven wrong by Urlacher's own words, you result to some convoluted liberal touchy feely argument. Nice deflect.

Best he was going to get but not what he thought he was worth at the time of negotiations really lol. Of course they're going to say two different things when you're going through negotiations and then after you retire. Really some of you are closed mined lol

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Best he was going to get but not what he thought he was worth at the time of negotiations really lol. Of course they're going to say two different things when you're going through negotiations and then after you retire. Really some of you are closed mined lol

What am I close minded to?
-Urlacher was pissed about $2M/yr when offered.
-Urlacher couldn't get more
-Urlacher felt it wasn't worth playing for that.

You are the one purporting Emery forced Urlacher out, besides everything proving otherwise, including Urlacher's own words.

Unless, of course, you think Emery was just supposed to keep offering Urlacher more and more until he said he would play.

Who is close minded?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

PAPABEAR77

Liked Posts:
What am I close minded to?
-Urlacher was pissed about $2M/yr when offered.
-Urlacher couldn't get more
-Urlacher felt it wasn't worth playing for that.

You are the one purporting Emery forced Urlacher out, besides everything proving otherwise, including Urlacher's own words.

Unless, of course, you think Emery was just supposed to keep offering Urlacher more and more until he said he would play.

Who is close minded?

What's the difference between 2 and 5.5 million he knew he wasn't going to be a MVP type player however he was better then 2 mil.
He could have went other places but he spent 13 years in Chicago really.
To think there wasn't bad blood between Brian and emery is moronic just because Brian didn't throw him under the bus. Some people aren't built that way ( you obviously don't get that part of life)
It was the business part that forced him out not his knee

AussieBear

[video=youtube;of_JoZ03H70]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=of_JoZ03H70[/video]

PAPABEAR77

Liked Posts:
giphy.gif
[video=youtube;of_JoZ03H70]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=of_JoZ03H70[/video]

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Jesus the arguing over this is just stupid. They're both first ballot HOF's so any and every team would take both of them.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
What are you talking about? He played one more season having his worst tkl/gm average of his career, zero sacks, 1int, and generally was difficult to watch, as he looked slow and laboring.

He talked about enjoying going through free agency, until he found out he was not wanted elsewhere, and then spun it to make it seemed he wanted to move on.
It's like you have no idea what you are talking about.

He was done and should have had a few more seasons available if cared for properly.
There is no good way to compare the 2 players. The cover 2 had backers do very little sacking from the middle or weak side and funnelled tackles to the weak side where Briggs would clean up. In a different system Brian has better stats but in ours, he made it run and everyone on the team better for it.

If you want to know what Brian was, watch the 2nd 1/2 of the 2006 AZ game when he while no completely abandoning his responsibilities, took more liberties than the system allowed and dominated the game. Best 1/2 I've ever seen from a D player when you consider the scope and versatility of his play. Does it mean he's better than Lewis? Of course not but his other stats don't mean he's worse either.