Kevin White Megathread: Needs Surgery/Could Miss Entire Season

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I guess I don't know who you are talking to or arguing with then. nc0gnet0 is the only one that spoke in absolutes that I can see. But whatever, carry on.

I guess the context of the discussion escapes you. Take what I said out of context and of course it looks ridiculous. You made a statement, and I paraphrase, K.White was the best player available. In which the implied meaning was that because he was the BPA (which is another argument, but has no relevance in this argument), therefore he must have been a good pick for the bears.

To which I replied:

"BPA is a myth"

Given the context of the discussion, my comment was intended to rebut your opinion that he was a good pick for the Bears. Pickles got it. I am sure others did is well. I even further clarified what I meant when asked by Bearden.

Long Story short, whether or not K. White was the BPA, doesn't matter. IMO he was not the right direction for the Bears to take at that time. Simply taking the BPA every time is stupid. Successful franchises have a blueprint and a draft strategy. It combines yes drafting BPA when that player is a position of need, Trading down and acquiring additional picks when the needs are many and the BPA is not a position of need, and even taking a player that is not the BPA when he is in fact the BPA in a position of great need for that team. I was never talking in absolutes, I was in fact doing the opposite.

Now if you want to get into an argument based on semantics , go ahead.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I bolded the key word for you. You are welcome.

If that was the emphasis, then there's absolutely no context for the statement. But OK, Thank You?

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I guess the context of the discussion escapes you. Take what I said out of context and of course it looks ridiculous. You made a statement, and I paraphrase, K.White was the best player available. In which the implied meaning was that because he was the BPA (which is another argument, but has no relevance in this argument), therefore he must have been a good pick for the bears.

To which I replied:

"BPA is a myth"

Given the context of the discussion, my comment was intended to rebut your opinion that he was a good pick for the Bears. Pickles got it. I am sure others did is well. I even further clarified what I meant when asked by Bearden.

Long Story short, whether or not K. White was the BPA, doesn't matter. IMO he was not the right direction for the Bears to take at that time. Simply taking the BPA every time is stupid. Successful franchises have a blueprint and a draft strategy. It combines yes drafting BPA when that player is a position of need, Trading down and acquiring additional picks when the needs are many and the BPA is not a position of need, and even taking a player that is not the BPA when he is in fact the BPA in a position of great need for that team. I was never talking in absolutes, I was in fact doing the opposite.

Now if you want to get into an argument based on semantics , go ahead.
and what I thought you were saying. I disagree about the pick but I get it. I was a Beasley fan as well but he could be Shea tweaner all over again as well. NFL Ts have better feet and he's not power rushing any of them.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hindsight is 20-20. There was no way of knowing he would have a stress fracture but, now that he does, nothing can be done. I don't think anyone, again using hindsight would draft a guy who would miss most, if not all, of his rookie year. That's sort of a no-shit statement. Whether he was the BPA or the right direction is a matter of opinion. I didn't love the pick, I would have rather had other positions but there were so many holes to fill. A lot of people opined that we didn't have a guy who could take the topoff the defense. A lot of draft gurus had the Bears taking White. So it might not have been the best pick in some of our eyes it wasn't a "stupid" pick, either.

1ke

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Bucks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Every team "wants" character guys and every team will for go character here and there if they think it makes them better. As far as injuries, well, lying about injuries is as old as organized sports.

I can't tell if some of you are naive or just self entitled. But this is normal. If you want to go back to the revolutionary ways of trestman and his touchy feely bullshit by all means. This is normal NFL stuff. The Bears problems aren't due to not being honest with the fans and media. Its been talent evaluation, coaching and roster construction.

Personally, I think showing disdain for the media is the most honest thing a coach can do. Because they don't like the media, and pretty much every coach would prefer to not have the bottom feeding garbage hounds masquerading as journalists anywhere near their teams.
Thank you.

QFT

ENDTHREAD

Newblood

Liked Posts:
If that was the emphasis, then there's absolutely no context for the statement. But OK, Thank You?

Let me go slower. If my draft philosophy is to draft BPA, then it won't matter who the teams before me draft, I am drafting BPA. If my draft philosophy is to draft BPA at a need, then it won't matter who the teams before me draft, I am still drafting BPA at a need. If my draft philosophy is to draft pure need, then it won't matter who the teams before me draft, I am still drafting what I need. So on and so forth.

Meaning, what the hell does it matter if the teams before the Jets passed on Williams? IF the Jets always had the philosophy of drafting BPA in the 1st round, then it was just fortuitous that Williams dropped to them. And if Williams wasn't there, they very will could have picked whomever the other BPA was.

Maybe their draft philosophy was to draft the best defensive player available in the first round and if Williams was gone, they would have picked Beasley (if they believed he was the next best).

Who the hell knows, but I really doubt they said, well shit, the draft didn't fall the way we hoped because the teams of head of us picked differently than we thought, so now we have to totally rethink this draft and how we approach it.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
and what I thought you were saying. I disagree about the pick but I get it. I was a Beasley fan as well but he could be Shea tweaner all over again as well. NFL Ts have better feet and he's not power rushing any of them.

I have always been off the opinion that the 2016 Draft was the draft in which the Bears would address the QB position. As such I thought it in the Bears best interest to solidify a terrible (other than Long) Oline, and this year (2015) would have been the year to do that. That would have gave them a year to mature and learn the NFL before we got a young QB, which in turn would had given him a better chance for success. I thought the Bears should have traded down and gained multiple picks to this end. I am on record as stating such.

None of this is hindsight, nor based on the fact K. White is now hurt. Even healthy, I just didn't think the pick made the most sense at the time.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Let me go slower. If my draft philosophy is to draft BPA, then it won't matter who the teams before me draft, I am drafting BPA. If my draft philosophy is to draft BPA at a need, then it won't matter who the teams before me draft, I am still drafting BPA at a need. If my draft philosophy is to draft pure need, then it won't matter who the teams before me draft, I am still drafting what I need. So on and so forth.

Meaning, what the hell does it matter if the teams before the Jets passed on Williams? IF the Jets always had the philosophy of drafting BPA in the 1st round, then it was just fortuitous that Williams dropped to them. And if Williams wasn't there, they very will could have picked whomever the other BPA was.

Maybe their draft philosophy was to draft the best defensive player available in the first round and if Williams was gone, they would have picked Beasley (if they believed he was the next best).

Who the hell knows, but I really doubt they said, well shit, the draft didn't fall the way we hoped because the teams of head of us picked differently than we thought, so now we have to totally rethink this draft and how we approach it.

One pick does not a philosophy make. Unless you know they wouldn't have taken a lower rated Mariota instead, it proves nothing and if that were the case, their 'apparent' philosophy did change. If it was just BPA, a team could send one guy with a list in his hand and sit him next to the podium on draft day. No need for discussion or to modify a list depending on what you or other teams selected before you. Just pick the top guy left on your list.

Newblood

Liked Posts:
One pick does not a philosophy make. Unless you know they wouldn't have taken a lower rated Mariota instead, it proves nothing and if that were the case, their 'apparent' philosophy did change. If it was just BPA, a team could send one guy with a list in his hand and sit him next to the podium on draft day. No need for discussion or to modify a list depending on what you or other teams selected before you. Just pick BPA.

:obama: Just wow. I'm sorry, but that argument was pathetic...

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Just trying to make it simple and direct enough to not twist about.

Newblood

Liked Posts:
Just trying to make it simple and direct enough to not twist about.

Yes, nothing brings clarity to a debate like the good ole, unless you know what they are thinking, then you don't know what they are thinking. But if you did know what they were thinking, then you would know they could change what they were thinking rebuttal.

Well played :clap:

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm unsuccessful. One pick doesn't make a philosophy and drafts are a lot more complicated than BPA. Bend that.

Newblood

Liked Posts:
I'm unsuccessful. One pick doesn't make a philosophy and drafts are a lot more complicated than BPA. Bend that.

One pick is part of a philosophy genius. I mostly used one round as an example, I didn't think I needed to spell the whole thing out for you, guess I was wrong. A team can say I'm going BPA round 1 and BPA in area of need in round 2 and so on. Some of you have this twisted thought in your head that if someone mentions BPA that means a team is drafting the whole damn draft for pure BPA. Honestly, just give it up, it's apparent the whole thing is over your head.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Lol.

Newblood

Liked Posts:

Smart decision.

What other teams do does not determine your draft philosophy. Someone said, drafting BPA was myth. He gave examples of teams drafting BPA. I don't remember him stating anywhere that teams draft BPA no matter what and in every situation...

Just in case you forgot my original statement.

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:
1000 posts for Kevin White to get his first career touchdown

READY SET POST