Kovalchuk to the Devils *update*

Livewire

Liked Posts:
Helene Elliott of the Los Angeles Times says there's no deal yet, but the sides are down to working on items like no-trade and no-movement clauses. That's the type of item you usually work on after the money and years (likely big numbers in both areas) have been worked out.

Rich Hammond of LA Kings Insider on the team's website notes that team governor Tim Leiweke is in Europe on business, which means there might not be a deal in hand yet. But he also says the two sides are close enough that "it's starting to look like it could happen at any time."

If this is in fact true it makes Los Angeles a dangerous team and Ilya fits in perfect with the Kings needs. I was hoping he would take the larger contract and go to Long Island or to Russia to play in the KHL or even stay in New Jersey. LA was a near complete team that just needed a high scoring winger to play along side Kopitar and this really makes them a complete team.

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
Thats ok, because when they make the playoffs he will dissapear like he did in NJ

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
You can't discredit a players ability based on a playoff performance of a team he was traded two with such a short time to get things hot together, the most you can say is he is no Roy.

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
Im only discrediting his playoff play...he dissapears

Sarava

Liked Posts:
Im only discrediting his playoff play...he dissapears

He did have 6 points in 5 games. That's not exactly terrible. Many Devils fans say he was tone of the few that showed up this year.

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
For the money he is asking, he should do alot more than 6 points...thats all im saying

Sarava

Liked Posts:
For the money he is asking, he should do alot more than 6 points...thats all im saying

While I don't think you can expect more than 6 points in 5 games from anyone (unless Gretzky or Lemieux in their prime returns). I do agree that he is very suspect for a 'winning playoff team'.

He has only won one playoff game in his career ever I believe. Sure he makes sports center highlights and will put butts in the seats. All in all, if I were looking for a franchise winger via free agency to make a cup run, I think the Hawks did a lot better in adding Hossa last year, than whoever adds Kovy this year. Kovy doesn't have the all around game of a guy like Hossa. And as we saw, when Hossa's scoring touch goes away, he still is a very good player. Kovy becomes useless if he loses his scoring touch.

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
While I don't think you can expect more than 6 points in 5 games from anyone (unless Gretzky or Lemieux in their prime returns). I do agree that he is very suspect for a 'winning playoff team'.

He has only won one playoff game in his career ever I believe. Sure he makes sports center highlights and will put butts in the seats. All in all, if I were looking for a franchise winger via free agency to make a cup run, I think the Hawks did a lot better in adding Hossa last year, than whoever adds Kovy this year. Kovy doesn't have the all around game of a guy like Hossa. And as we saw, when Hossa's scoring touch goes away, he still is a very good player. Kovy becomes useless if he loses his scoring touch.

Exactly, which is one reason why Hossa was taking flack from bandwagon fans because they expect him to go out and score 40-50 goals. Hossa's defense is very underrated, but was a major reason we succeeded last year

Livewire

Liked Posts:
looks like devils

Yes looks like he is staying in New Jersey. I apologize for the misleading thread, it was reported that as soon as the Kings owner returned to Los Angeles they would finish working out the details of his contract and Kovy would sign there, so I was working off bad information. I am glad he is not going to the Kings though because he would have thrived playing with Kopitar, Travis Zajac is a decent player but Kovalchuk will have to create more offense for himself in New Jersey as well he stays in the East.

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
I expect Kaberle/gagne to be moved soon now that Kovalchuk is signed

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Looks like Gagne to the Kings today...possibly.

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
Eklund says Gagne to Tampa is all but done

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Never mind, looks like the Lightning got Gagne.

Not sure for who yet.

Livewire

Liked Posts:
Eklund says Gagne to Tampa is all but done

Steve Yzerman looks to have really improved Tampa in his first season as GM. He had a great draft and now has a great core of players to work with. They still need to develop a goaltender and are thin on the back end but I think he has done a great job thus far.

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
Steve Yzerman looks to have really improved Tampa in his first season as GM. He had a great draft and now has a great core of players to work with. They still need to develop a goaltender and are thin on the back end but I think he has done a great job thus far.

Dan Ellis is nothing to sneeze at in goal