Kris Bryant expectations

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Im making my prediction right now with a week left...

Bryant will be with Cubs on Opening day starting at 3B

Baez will start and bat 9th

Szczur and lake will also make team

Sweeney will get traded or released by Wednesday

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
What is Lake doing that you think he will be up?

theberserkfury

Liked Posts:

I truly hope not.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
What is Lake doing that you think he will be up?
Having a good clean ST, hitting .300, got a bit of speed and power, and could provide Maddon with some versatility IF/OF.. they had him playing 3B the other day..

Donorfio hurt and Sweeney still sucks...

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I truly hope not.
Reading between the lines listening to Epstein the last couple days...

He hasn't flat out said bryant going down, just says he hasn't decided yet...

I think if bryant continues to handle himself well through this as he has and continue to hit the final week...
Epstein just might have to reward him and bring him up, sends a good message to other players and bryant for future negotiations. ..

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Having a good clean ST, hitting .300, got a bit of speed and power, and could provide Maddon with some versatility IF/OF.. they had him playing 3B the other day..

Donorfio hurt and Sweeney still sucks...
That sounds good. He provides some Util value. I don't think Donorfio or Sweeney will stick for long, if they do stick.

Ari Bear

Hall of Famer
Liked Posts:
As Bryant continues to shine Jon Gray who some on here wanted to select instead of Bryant in the 2013 draft continues to struggle.. Cubbies really lit him up yesterday! :buttrock:

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Reading between the lines listening to Epstein the last couple days...

He hasn't flat out said bryant going down, just says he hasn't decided yet...

I think if bryant continues to handle himself well through this as he has and continue to hit the final week...
Epstein just might have to reward him and bring him up, sends a good message to other players and bryant for future negotiations. ..

Actually he said in 13 years of breaking camp he's never done so with a rookie player. I think that's as close to saying Bryant is going down that you're going to get.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
That sounds good. He provides some Util value. I don't think Donorfio or Sweeney will stick for long, if they do stick.

Denorfia is hurt but they live what he brings from a veteran leadership standpoint. I'd be shocked if he wasn't on this team all year unless Bryant really does take LF permanently and Coghlan goes in a trade later this summer.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
As Bryant continues to shine Jon Gray who some on here wanted to select instead of Bryant in the 2013 draft continues to struggle.. Cubbies really lit him up yesterday! :buttrock:

I wasn't really following the draft that closely then so I don't exactly have a dog in the race except to say that obviously I'm a fan of Bryant since he's now a cub. With that being said, I'm not sure I'd characterize Gray as "struggling." As a 22 in AA last season he had a 8.18 k/9 and a 2.97 bb/9 with a 3.91/3.43 ERA/FIP. It's not OMG AMAZING but they are pretty solid numbers and I don't really think Rockies fans should be upset about him. Also there's this...

3/23/2015 - Gray turned in another dazzling Cactus League outing Monday against the Brewers, requiring only 44 pitches to cover four scoreless innings. He allowed only two hits and no walks and struck out two batters.

3/10/2015 - Gray (shoulder) has thrown four shutout innings across his two spring appearances, conceding two hits and a walk while striking out five batters.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
I wasn't really following the draft that closely then so I don't exactly have a dog in the race except to say that obviously I'm a fan of Bryant since he's now a cub. With that being said, I'm not sure I'd characterize Gray as "struggling." As a 22 in AA last season he had a 8.18 k/9 and a 2.97 bb/9 with a 3.91/3.43 ERA/FIP. It's not OMG AMAZING but they are pretty solid numbers and I don't really think Rockies fans should be upset about him. Also there's this...

Without checking, I think the bigger surprise is that Mark Appel didn't fire right out of the gates. I wanted Gray as a pitcher back then, and now am tickled they took Bryant also.

That said, Gray is still my pick to be a very good young pitcher.

In fact, I would take Gray right now, and I would contemplate trading some positional talent including Baez, Vogelbach, and/or McKinney if they would consider it since some of these players are currently blocked.

One would have to figure that some of these names will be on the trading block sooner or later for that very reason.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Without checking, I think the bigger surprise is that Mark Appel didn't fire right out of the gates. I wanted Gray as a pitcher back then, and now am tickled they took Bryant also.

That said, Gray is still my pick to be a very good young pitcher.

In fact, I would take Gray right now, and I would contemplate trading some positional talent including Baez, Vogelbach, and/or McKinney if they would consider it since some of these players are currently blocked.

One would have to figure that some of these names will be on the trading block sooner or later for that very reason.

Word is that the Cubs still like Gray and have scouts see him regularly. Would not surprise me to see him as a Cub at some point, particularly with the right handed power the Cubs have to deal from.

Ari Bear

Hall of Famer
Liked Posts:
Im not saying Gray is bad or anything but he's not been very good either. I was just comparing him to Bryant and some of the controversy with some fans back then when the Cubs selected Bryant instead of Gray. Bryant so far clearly has been the better draft pick, so far the Cubs made the right selection by taking Bryant instead of Gray with the 2nd overall pick in 2013. Im sure Gray will have a solid career though..

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Regarding Bryant, I hope you're right. I don't give two shits what happens years from now. We all could be dead by then. One hundred years plus is enough. Get the best team on the field and see what happens. This is what I hope will happen....but....I'm guessing he gets sent down. Theo is a "big picture" guy and will do what smart for the long term of the team.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
Im not saying Gray is bad or anything but he's not been very good either. I was just comparing him to Bryant and some of the controversy with some fans back then when the Cubs selected Bryant instead of Gray. Bryant so far clearly has been the better draft pick, so far the Cubs made the right selection by taking Bryant instead of Gray with the 2nd overall pick in 2013. Im sure Gray will have a solid career though..

As far as I'm concerned, I liked the Cubs strategy of not drafting pitchers with high picks. Young arms are so unpredictable to develop. I liked the Cubs drafting hitting and valuable position players, and spending later picks on young pitching, then bring in proven pitching via FA'cy.

I realize this was their strategy during the rebuild, but it almost seems like a good full time strategy to me, barring any unbelievable pitching prospects too hard to refuse.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

Think you have unrealistic expectations for what's good then. Comparing him to Bryant is folly. Bryant quite literally may be the best prospect of the past 10 years based on his minor league numbers. As for Gray, what you need to understand is 22 for a pitcher in AA is young. Pitchers tend to hit the majors later than hitters. For example, Kershaw who's been arguably the best pitcher this generation didn't hit the majors until 20 while you have guys like Harper/Trout/Heyward who all were up prior to turning 20.

Regardless, those AA numbers he's posted are perfectly fine for a player young for his level.

Ari Bear

Hall of Famer
Liked Posts:
Think you have unrealistic expectations for what's good then. Comparing him to Bryant is folly. Bryant quite literally may be the best prospect of the past 10 years based on his minor league numbers. As for Gray, what you need to understand is 22 for a pitcher in AA is young. Pitchers tend to hit the majors later than hitters. For example, Kershaw who's been arguably the best pitcher this generation didn't hit the majors until 20 while you have guys like Harper/Trout/Heyward who all were up prior to turning 20.

Regardless, those AA numbers he's posted are perfectly fine for a player young for his level.
No I have a realistic view of things. The ONLY reason I was comparing them was because back when they were drafted the boards here had a consider amount of whinning and crying because we draft Bryant and not Gray. Understand he's 22. Baez is 22 also and he hasnt been good either. You can form a judgment on a player at 22 even though they are still young. Im not saying Gray wont be good, I was just saying he hasnt been good lately and he hasnt, he can improve and probably will because he's still young guy but Im aloud to form my own opinion on him even though its been less than two years since he was drafted.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
No I have a realistic view of things. The ONLY reason I was comparing them was because back when they were drafted the boards here had a consider amount of whinning and crying because we draft Bryant and not Gray. Understand he's 22. Baez is 22 also and he hasnt been good either. You can form a judgment on a player at 22 even though they are still young. Im not saying Gray wont be good, I was just saying he hasnt been good lately and he hasnt, he can improve and probably will because he's still young guy but Im aloud to form my own opinion on him even though its been less than two years since he was drafted.

He'd thrown 8 scoreless this spring training prior to playing the cubs. I don't think you're assertion that he "hasn't been good lately" is accurate is all I'm trying to point out. Clearly he's not Kris Bryant which I assume is your point. But, he's been far from bad. I'd take him in a heart beat over Almora and possibly Schwarber to use more fair comparisons rather than Bryant.

Ari Bear

Hall of Famer
Liked Posts:
He'd thrown 8 scoreless this spring training prior to playing the cubs. I don't think you're assertion that he "hasn't been good lately" is accurate is all I'm trying to point out. Clearly he's not Kris Bryant which I assume is your point. But, he's been far from bad. I'd take him in a heart beat over Almora and possibly Schwarber to use more fair comparisons rather than Bryant.
Era up around 6 this spring training isn't that great. Don't get me wrong, I do think he's a talented prospect and will be a good pitcher. I would take him on my team.