Kris Bryant expectations

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
That team is an exception not a rule. Also, they also have an advantage now with the compensation picks they get for not being a large market. That rule is completely bullshit. The Cardinals are a modeled run franchise, but dont think luck didnt play the part. No one thought they were getting a Generational player with Albert Pujols. I want to see where they go when Molina and others start to leave. I think there talent is about to hit a wall. Im not saying you cant hit. I am giving you the percentages that a top 10 pick will succeed more often then any other picks percentage wise. Also, top 10 has become a lot more valuable because of the new CBA. The Cardinals and the Sox lived for over slotting players in later rounds. It was why they were able to stay on top of the farm game. Now, it is a lot harder to do. The Cubs specifically picked Kyle Schwarber so they could sign Dylan Cease and another guy I dont feel like looking up. They knew Schwarber would sign under slot and liked his bat. It allowed us to get Cease who was a top 15 talent.

1) Top Scouting/Training is the rule and not the exception. Just because many teams fail at it in one or both aspects doesn't mean it isn't the rule.
2) For the last time no one is arguing that the chance of success is better in the first few picks against elsewhere. No one.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
That team is an exception not a rule. Also, they also have an advantage now with the compensation picks they get for not being a large market. That rule is completely bullshit. The Cardinals are a modeled run franchise, but dont think luck didnt play the part. No one thought they were getting a Generational player with Albert Pujols. I want to see where they go when Molina and others start to leave. I think there talent is about to hit a wall. Im not saying you cant hit. I am giving you the percentages that a top 10 pick will succeed more often then any other picks percentage wise. Also, top 10 has become a lot more valuable because of the new CBA. The Cardinals and the Sox lived for over slotting players in later rounds. It was why they were able to stay on top of the farm game. Now, it is a lot harder to do. The Cubs specifically picked Kyle Schwarber so they could sign Dylan Cease and another guy I dont feel like looking up. They knew Schwarber would sign under slot and liked his bat. It allowed us to get Cease who was a top 15 talent.
Your observations about the Cardinals are what I am waiting to see pass, as well.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
1) Top Scouting/Training is the rule and not the exception. Just because many teams fail at it in one or both aspects doesn't mean it isn't the rule.
2) For the last time no one is arguing that the chance of success is better in the first few picks against elsewhere. No one.

I dont think you know what a rule is and you are trying to argue more all stars come from outside the first round which is true number wise not percentage wise. You also argued the Cardinals that dont pick in the top 10 so you were trying to argue it. I gave the numbers. Go with how you feel. This is getting nowhere

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
And no one argues against that. But you take a team like the Cardinals that do not have top ten picks and year after year they produce. Why?

Wouldn't good scouting and coaching trump draft position? The AS game says yes based on it's makeup.

It's also worth noting that while they may not have a top 10 pick they've had 2 top 40 picks for the last decade or so. Perhaps you're not landing the most "talented" player but you have a far better shot at getting someone productive with say the 20th pick and the 35th than you do just the #4 pick or whatever. And if you add that with the fact the team is good at finding what it looks for then all the more benefit for them.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
you guys need to stop arguing about this. it is silly. one can say the cubs are trying to be cards esque but succeeding at that and trying are 2 different things. scouting and development for the cards is where the value is at, not always on the players.

Sent from My 1998 Palm Pilot Using Tapatalk

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I dont think you know what a rule is and you are trying to argue more all stars come from outside the first round which is true number wise not percentage wise. You also argued the Cardinals that dont pick in the top 10 so you were trying to argue it. I gave the numbers. Go with how you feel. This is getting nowhere
You really need to learn math

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
you guys need to stop arguing about this. it is silly. one can say the cubs are trying to be cards esque but succeeding at that and trying are 2 different things. scouting and development for the cards is where the value is at, not always on the players.

Sent from My 1998 Palm Pilot Using Tapatalk

What I try to do is balance my admiration and contempt for the Cardinals.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I really don't care who they are mimicking....bottom line is they are doing things the right way for the first time since Dallas Green was GM.

Also, I was amazed by the info posted by Brett. I never knew that Boras had so many bust out clients....you wonder how MLB stays afloat paying out that kind money to players who give them a return of basically nothing.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I really don't care who they are mimicking....bottom line is they are doing things the right way for the first time since Dallas Green was GM.

Also, I was amazed by the info posted by Brett. I never knew that Boras had so many bust out clients....you wonder how MLB stays afloat paying out that kind money to players who give them a return of basically nothing.
That not to surprising when you consider most big name FAs sign that big contract after age 30 when career starts to decline or they get a big deal after just having a career year ( russell martin ) and then fall back to their AVG. numbers..

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
That not to surprising when you consider most big name FAs sign that big contract after age 30 when career starts to decline or they get a big deal after just having a career year ( russell martin ) and then fall back to their AVG. numbers..

I take it you're not a big Martin fan...neither am I, I'd rather they spend on more pitching. I think Castillo can hold the fort long enough for them to decide if Schwarber is gonna be the answer....if he isn't, then you can start looking at catching.

I think the Cubs are looking at a veteran leadership angle, which I think is over rated anyway.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I take it you're not a big Martin fan...neither am I, I'd rather they spend on more pitching. I think Castillo can hold the fort long enough for them to decide if Schwarber is gonna be the answer....if he isn't, then you can start looking at catching.

I think the Cubs are looking at a veteran leadership angle, which I think is over rated anyway.
Its not the player just his numbers...
I just dont want to see them signing the guy to a high cost long term deal based on 1 season, no matter how good it was.. I understand he good with the glove and all but if he goes back to hitting .240 with say 12 Hrs is he worth 12 mil more then castillo who just going in his 3rd full season and could give you the same offensive numbers if not better as he might improve with being more experience now and that includes defensively which he shown signs of last season. .

I agree their interest is probably more with him being a solid veteran leader which would be good with the younger players and im ok if they do sign him just as long as it reasonable and not a contract they will regret having next season if he regresses big time this year.

Ari Bear

Hall of Famer
Liked Posts:
I expect him not to strike out as much as Beaz.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Its not the player just his numbers...
I just dont want to see them signing the guy to a high cost long term deal based on 1 season, no matter how good it was.. I understand he good with the glove and all but if he goes back to hitting .240 with say 12 Hrs is he worth 12 mil more then castillo who just going in his 3rd full season and could give you the same offensive numbers if not better as he might improve with being more experience now and that includes defensively which he shown signs of last season. .

I agree their interest is probably more with him being a solid veteran leader which would be good with the younger players and im ok if they do sign him just as long as it reasonable and not a contract they will regret having next season if he regresses big time this year.

The Cubs have positioned themselves for just this kind of move(s), and this kind of failure(s) if it comes to fruition. It's hard to put a value on a leader who can not only handle a pitching staff, but mentor the entire team.

Furthermore, if next year, or the year after and the Cubs do indeed make the playoffs, I want guys that have been there before numerous times.

It would be hard to find a Cubs player who has been in the playoffs period, and getting Martin and/or Lester/Shields/Scherzer provides stability a team like the Cubs desperately need.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
The Cubs have positioned themselves for just this kind of move(s), and this kind of failure(s) if it comes to fruition. It's hard to put a value on a leader who can not only handle a pitching staff, but mentor the entire team.

Furthermore, if next year, or the year after and the Cubs do indeed make the playoffs, I want guys that have been there before numerous times.

It would be hard to find a Cubs player who has been in the playoffs period, and getting Martin and/or Lester/Shields/Scherzer provides stability a team like the Cubs desperately need.
Yea well a .230 hitting catcher in your everyday line up may keep them from winning enough games to make playoffs ..
But hey he frames pitches and he a good clubhouse guy so give him 16 per just for that. ..

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Cubs need guys with play off experience. Catcher IMO is the biggest impact guy on a team. Castillo fell in production but he has zero play off experience. I'm fine with him as a back up to Martin though. Let him learn from him for a year then trade Castillo. He hits arb1 this year and his value would only go up by having play off experience and learning form Martin. His short comings are framing pitches. Calling games and just the little nuances of being a catcher. He is still learning.

I posted that they Cubs need proven leaders. Having play off experience should be a requirement for F/A signings; for a team shooting for the play offs.

Martin would be a strong add as position players go. Either Lester or Shields would work in the rotation. Arrieta has never led a pitching staff into the play offs before. Both Shields and Lester have done so on many occasions.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Cubs need guys with play off experience. Catcher IMO is the biggest impact guy on a team. Castillo fell in production but he has zero play off experience. I'm fine with him as a back up to Martin though. Let him learn from him for a year then trade Castillo. He hits arb1 this year and his value would only go up by having play off experience and learning form Martin. His short comings are framing pitches. Calling games and just the little nuances of being a catcher. He is still learning.

I posted that they Cubs need proven leaders. Having play off experience should be a requirement for F/A signings; for a team shooting for the play offs.

Martin would be a strong add as position players go. Either Lester or Shields would work in the rotation. Arrieta has never led a pitching staff into the play offs before. Both Shields and Lester have done so on many occasions.
If that the reasoning then they better bring in a solid hitting LFer and a couple of solid starters. .

They end up with wood and wada as 4/5 with no true TOR and relying on arrieta and Hendricks to be as good as they were last year just might end up wasting year 1 of martin playoff experience. ..

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I'm not buying that. I've seen it time and time again where kids step it up come playoff time and the so called "experienced veteran" blows a tire.

Example...1989 NL playoffs.....25 year old Mark Grace hits an amazing .647 in the series while Hall Of Famer to be Andre Dawson having 2 years of playoff experience with Montreal in his back pocket, hits .105. Will Clark at 23 years old hits .360 in 87 playoffs and two years later at 25 hits .650 vs the Cubs.