Kris Bryant to the Rockies - 7 years $182M

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Bellinger has a swing that should be reliable for the duration of his career. It's Tony Gwynn pretty without the quick twitch ability.

I think his regression and resurgence is shift related and due to pitchers adjusting target planes. ?? Anyway..

Now having escaped Bryant, Bellinger won't look as pretty at 20M per but it still feels like a good move in my gut. I think you can invest in that swing.

Suzuki, plus the farm, and Steele/Hendricks/Stroman...this team is actually good and i think they can get to the playoffs, as other national league contenders are not great.

I'm surprised they turned it around so quick but it turns out jettisoning Baez/Contreras/Bryant/Rizzo were all good individual decisions.

I deserve some crow on the blow up of team. Criticism of ownership and GM.

My Sox are worse off than we started with Sale/Eaton hauls.
I think a major issue with the Sox was a lack of leadership and organizational issues. The talent was there to be a division winner but outside of Abreu they had no leadership and Reinsdorf forced some horrible decisions on Hahn.

Bust

Liked Posts:
!! Thank goodness the Cubs parted ways !!

Bryant has been an injury prone trash player since he left the Cubs. Probably hoped to pad stats at Coors field

Oooops!

Sorry Kris but the feeling is mutual. The Rockies regret signing you as well

NEXT!@!

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If Morel busts who knows tbh. Briant back at 3B on this team and Denver soaks a large chunk. Mmm
Interesting.....except he's become the Jim McMahon of MLB. No one will want that salary for a guy who's always hurt.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Interesting.....except he's become the Jim McMahon of MLB. No one will want that salary for a guy who's always hurt.

That is fair.

First the contract

7 years/$182M (2022-28)
signed by Colorado as a free agent 3/17/22
$7M signing bonus
22:$17M, 23:$27M, 24:$27M, 25-28:$26M annually
full no-trade protection

He most likely would drop it for the Cubs.

Around July he would have 13M left on that deal. After it would be 4/104M.

Now if Denver covered 1/2.

6.5M + 4/52M. Which is easy to digest. Just his ability to cover some OF DH 1B and 3B makes him a useful option.

To get that I could see a few prospects used. They always need pitching prospects as no one will sign there.

So guys like Brown, Kilian, Wesneski, Assad and lesser known arms would get the deal done.

Injuries take around 18 months to fully heal so he could easily rebound this year.

I had a talk with Steve Finally back in the 90's and we talked about injuries as Kerry Wood was down at the time. He said that 18 months is pretty standard. Most players will come back and underperform. But it takes time and reconditioning to get back to that level.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
That is fair.

First the contract

7 years/$182M (2022-28)
signed by Colorado as a free agent 3/17/22
$7M signing bonus
22:$17M, 23:$27M, 24:$27M, 25-28:$26M annually
full no-trade protection

He most likely would drop it for the Cubs.

Around July he would have 13M left on that deal. After it would be 4/104M.

Now if Denver covered 1/2.

6.5M + 4/52M. Which is easy to digest. Just his ability to cover some OF DH 1B and 3B makes him a useful option.

To get that I could see a few prospects used. They always need pitching prospects as no one will sign there.

So guys like Brown, Kilian, Wesneski, Assad and lesser known arms would get the deal done.

Injuries take around 18 months to fully heal so he could easily rebound this year.

I had a talk with Steve Finally back in the 90's and we talked about injuries as Kerry Wood was down at the time. He said that 18 months is pretty standard. Most players will come back and underperform. But it takes time and reconditioning to get back to that level.
He’s 32 and can’t stay healthy. He has regressed massively. He’s not even worth 4/52 as you’re proposing, much less factoring in giving up pitching prospects in a trade(which won’t happen). Cubs are literally better off just playing madrigal at a fraction of the cost and will get better production

CSF77

Liked Posts:
He’s 32 and can’t stay healthy. He has regressed massively. He’s not even worth 4/52 as you’re proposing, much less factoring in giving up pitching prospects in a trade(which won’t happen). Cubs are literally better off just playing madrigal at a fraction of the cost and will get better production

Like I said. Players take time to recover fully and his mark post recovery last year should be ignored in general. This year should be a better measurement to his contract value and looking into June he should be a known factor as will Morel at 3B be a known factor.

If Morel is league avg. Which from what has been said it is a foot work thing. Most 3B have a habit of moving back on the pitch and getting on their heels ready to move in on the swing so there's a lot of muscle memory to create for him. He's really good on first reaction but there's a lot of errors he's going to make because of footwork issues until he gets it down

CSF77

Liked Posts:
And add that contract would be similar to what Jed paid for Ben zobrist at approximately the same age. And I would expect the production to be similar also

Also, if I recall right, didn't Bryant spank the Cubs at the end of last year and he was starting to get healthy again I'll have to check his numbers but I do recall that he was part of the reason why the Cubs didn't get in

Last edited:

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
And add that contract would be similar to what Jed paid for Ben zobrist at approximately the same age. And I would expect the production to be similar also

Also, if I recall right, didn't Bryant spank the Cubs at the end of last year and he was starting to get healthy again I'll have to check his numbers but I do recall that he was part of the reason why the Cubs didn't get in
he did so well that he had a negative WAR last year. negative both at the plate and in the field. he hit .233 in 300 at bats with an OPS+ of 76 with 10 HR's...so he doesnt even have power anymore. hes just not good anymore and that is the major difference between him and your proposed comp to when the cubs signed zobrist...at least zobrist was still good, bryant is not

CSF77

Liked Posts:
September 11, 2023
Colorado Rockies activated 3B Kris Bryant from the 10-day injured list.

July 25, 2023
Colorado Rockies placed 3B Kris Bryant on the 10-day injured list retroactive to July 22, 2023. Fractured left index finger.

June 30, 2023

June 28, 2023
Colorado Rockies sent 3B Kris Bryant on a rehab assignment to Albuquerque Isotopes.

June 1, 2023
Colorado Rockies placed 3B Kris Bryant on the 10-day injured list retroactive to May 31, 2023. Left heel bruise.

October 6, 2022

August 1, 2022
Colorado Rockies placed 3B Kris Bryant on the 10-day injured list. Left foot plantar fasciitis.

Those are the injuries.

Foot and heel in index finger. Which are rather minor issues.

If it was throwing shoulder ot oblique or hammy over and over then I get it

CSF77

Liked Posts:
he did so well that he had a negative WAR last year. negative both at the plate and in the field. he hit .233 in 300 at bats with an OPS+ of 76 with 10 HR's...so he doesnt even have power anymore. hes just not good anymore and that is the major difference between him and your proposed comp to when the cubs signed zobrist...at least zobrist was still good, bryant is not
Let's let him prove what he is. I tend to believe that a good player doesn't drop off the cliff as you are suggesting.

Players are aging faster in the post PED era but it's not a drop off the cliff. So if a guy's doing five war every year he might drop down to three or four and then a couple years later he'll drop down to two to three it's more gradual. What we're seeing is injury related as I listed above. So I think we just take it for what it is If he can't get a shit together that's fine. But in spring he's hitting almost 300 He's doing all right he seems to be relatively healthy at the moment let's let him prove to us what he is versus just calling them out without even having any information to make it so.
All right cool

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Regardless if Morel can play League average third base Jed ain't doing shit. It doesn't matter if Bryant hits 300 with a 400 on base percentage. He'll take the cheaper option and roll with it regardless. But if Morel has 5 errors in April then he adds five more in May I think all of us are going to be calling for him to be moved and Jed to do something and if Bryant is hitting to anywhere close to where he was this is going to be a hot topic.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Also on an off topic Hayward was signed right when the shift became a big deal. He's not going to smash the ball out of the park he was a line drive hitter. . So teams would just line up right where his hitting hot spots were and his hits turned into outs. Last year with the shift ban his production increased and he got resigned by the Dodgers. So the Cubs made a blunder by signing a guy during a shift era. If he was smashing the ball out of the park frequently it had been a non-issue.

You can tie this into Kodi also he struggled his last two years come and post injury. The shift got banned he changed his game when more two strike approach but the ball in play more got his batting average up increased his value. But other teams are sitting there crying about his exit velocities being at the lower end even though he was more of a old school hitter trying to get on base which hurt him on his contract. The game's just changing and people evolve with it

Last edited:

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Let's let him prove what he is. I tend to believe that a good player doesn't drop off the cliff as you are suggesting.

Players are aging faster in the post PED era but it's not a drop off the cliff. So if a guy's doing five war every year he might drop down to three or four and then a couple years later he'll drop down to two to three it's more gradual. What we're seeing is injury related as I listed above. So I think we just take it for what it is If he can't get a shit together that's fine. But in spring he's hitting almost 300 He's doing all right he seems to be relatively healthy at the moment let's let him prove to us what he is versus just calling them out without even having any information to make it so.
All right cool
we DO have information, though. its called the last handful of years since leaving the cubs as the information.

even if he were to recover some of his hitting abilities, hes a sub par defender at 3B and we have a glut of OF's so he aint playing out there, either.

all right cool!

CSF77

Liked Posts:
we DO have information, though. its called the last handful of years since leaving the cubs as the information.

even if he were to recover some of his hitting abilities, hes a sub par defender at 3B and we have a glut of OF's so he aint playing out there, either.

all right cool!

I don't know how many times at the beat you with a stick on this one but he was injured.

The last two years his numbers were down but also the last 2 years he was dealing with injuries.

What you need to look at on that is weighted RC Plus. 2022 it was at a 125 then it got injured. He has never picked it up again and he was injured yet again the next year so he's had three injuries over that time but Prior injury he was doing really well actually.

So I don't know what stone your grinding on this one maybe it's just you don't like the guy which I'm kind of leaning towards

Or you just try to pick a fight with me regardless of the facts which is pretty typical to be honest

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I don't know how many times at the beat you with a stick on this one but he was injured.

The last two years his numbers were down but also the last 2 years he was dealing with injuries.

What you need to look at on that is weighted RC Plus. 2022 it was at a 125 then it got injured. He has never picked it up again and he was injured yet again the next year so he's had three injuries over that time but Prior injury he was doing really well actually.

So I don't know what stone your grinding on this one maybe it's just you don't like the guy which I'm kind of leaning towards

Or you just try to pick a fight with me regardless of the facts which is pretty typical to be honest
Lmao you’re just a hoot to hang out with I bet

First off, you can’t make the excuse that he’s been hurt the last 3 years because that is literally proving my point for me when I stated, “he can’t stay healthy.”

But now after 3 years we are supposed to assume he’s going to be healthy for a season?? Cmon, he’s 32 not 25

I actually love Kris Bryant. What he was able to help make happen in 2016 will never be forgotten. Plus, I get told all the time that I look like him

Lastly, your total failed attempt at playing the victim with, “or you just pick a fight with me…”

Oh poor you, someone on a sports message board challenged the nonsense you spout on here.

“Facts”…oh please, all you’re spouting is opinion and a terrible one at that

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I was a HUGE fan of Bryant when he first came up....trouble is....MLB pitchers have him figured out. You can't blame injuries for the fact that he has some Javy in him. A litttttlllle trouble laying off breaking pitches a few inches wide of the plate. I haven't seen that much of him lately but what I saw....he hasn't changed. Too bad....seems like a good guy....but, he made his fortune.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Lmao you’re just a hoot to hang out with I bet

First off, you can’t make the excuse that he’s been hurt the last 3 years because that is literally proving my point for me when I stated, “he can’t stay healthy.”

But now after 3 years we are supposed to assume he’s going to be healthy for a season?? Cmon, he’s 32 not 25

I actually love Kris Bryant. What he was able to help make happen in 2016 will never be forgotten. Plus, I get told all the time that I look like him

Lastly, your total failed attempt at playing the victim with, “or you just pick a fight with me…”

Oh poor you, someone on a sports message board challenged the nonsense you spout on here.

“Facts”…oh please, all you’re spouting is opinion and a terrible one at that

Like I said before. If it was a back or a shoulder or oblique. Stuff that are hard to recover from or like Madgril keeps getting leg injuries. Those are more chronic.

He had heel, foot and a broken finger. These are situational.

I am a bit more concerned with Kilian's latest as I had to go through physical Therapy for that injury and it still comes up years after.

Your injury take is a gloss over and is not looking at that actual info.