Kyle Fuller...HE GONE(UPDATE:Now a Bronco)

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
I am kind of laughing at all the dick ripping over Kyle Fuller.

I certainly enjoyed him but I also remember how he is when there isn't a pass rush. It was his contract year when he decided to say fuck everything and go for broke, and mostly gave up on playing cover corner and instead decided he would just try to jump every route and pick everything off, and he ended up winning that lottery. He definitely has a pro bowl level of ability in picking off passes so long as there's a pass rush in front of him, but otherwise he's just a little above average corner.

I mean I'm not going to disparage the guy as he is a good player, but at the price tag he was coming with, he was not worth that money.

And you drafted Jaylon Johnson, who already in his rookie year is showing better traits than Kyle Fuller has.

Is it going to be a hole on the defense? Absolutely.

Is he someone this defense is going to fall apart from because he's not there? Hardly.

Maybe I just feel I have a better stock on the Bears than most of the people grousing about this, but my expectations aren't high to begin with for this upcoming season.

The Bears kept Ryan Pace. The Bears kept Matt Nagy.

I know what they are trying to do to save their jobs and I see the logic behind it, but with an aging defense and an inability to find a real quarterback who can permanently anchor this franchise for the next 15 years, I was already expecting next season to be slightly above average at best and a flaming train wreck at worst and I am here for either one.

The defense has a real shot at completely falling off the ledge this year. I am willing to bet based on the desperate actions of Ryan pace, not just in the signings but in the media stories that have been floated around, that he knows if he doesn't make something happen it is his last year.

therefore I am all in on watching the season that ends the Ryan Pace experiment.

And I recognize that Kyle Fuller is just the first of many on the defense who will likely be getting the boot (traded) over the next 2 to 3 years, if they don't completely decline first and get cut.

And I am genuinely excited for whoever comes in next because despite all of Ryan Pace's stupidity, at least he is not leaving the cupboard bare like Phil Emery, like the Bears Brain trust with Dave wannestedt before that, or like Jerry Angelo when he had his nuts cut off by Lovie Smith's power grab in 2007 on.

When all the aging defensive players phase out, we have a good young core that can help the team bounce back with the right direction.

Jaylon Johnson, David Montgomery, Darnell Mooney, roquan Smith, Bilal Nichols, Sam mustapher, James Daniels, etc.

It's not starting from zero like those other times.

Those are guys young enough that if you draft a quarterback next year, can grow with that quarterback and you still have a good window.

I wish Kyle Fuller the best. But this cap cut was like Thanos: inevitable.
This is a damn good post.

Rise

Liked Posts:
I have zero crow to eat about this. Did we have a replacement better than Fuller ready to go? No. Is Graham worth keeping? No. I’d trade them Graham for fuller right now would you not?

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I have zero crow to eat about this. Did we have a replacement better than Fuller ready to go? No. Is Graham worth keeping? No. I’d trade them Graham for fuller right now would you not?
No

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:

I suppose denial is one way to play it.

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
This is a damn good post.

Thank you. And honestly, the season ended up a little better too, because we somehow got Justin Fields! I didn't know what to make of him at first when he was drafted because of the history of Ohio State QBs in the league, but even with things going the way they are going, its a pleasure to get to watch a rookie with as huge a ceiling as Fields has go through his rookie year.

As it stands now though, Nagy definitely is on the hot seat, and Pace may or may not be. We won't know that one until the end of the season...

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
No we should have cut Fuller and Graham.

Wouldn't have hated letting Hicks walk either.

But then again, this is still a Nagy-led team with Pace working in concert with that.

So would we have just blown that money on crap players instead? Might end up being a blessing in disguise for the next GM...

Rise

Liked Posts:
How many more can quote me with no real rebuttal.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Wouldn't have hated letting Hicks walk either.

But then again, this is still a Nagy-led team with Pace working in concert with that.

So would we have just blown that money on crap players instead? Might end up being a blessing in disguise for the next GM...

I would not have minded cutting Hicks as well. We did not have to sign anyone. Just rolled it over to next year's cap where we could really use it.

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
How many more can quote me with no real rebuttal.

My quoted post was a rebuttal to you. And I think it was rather succinct.

You are in massive denial about Fuller. Prancing about pretending you were right all along just makes you look delusional.

Rise

Liked Posts:
My quoted post was a rebuttal to you. And I think it was rather succinct.

You are in massive denial about Fuller. Prancing about pretending you were right all along just makes you look delusional.

What part am I in denial about? Pace didn’t cut Fuller to roll over cap space for next year or because he thought he was declining. He chose Graham over him. I still think that was the wrong move.

I’d have preferred either cut all 3 (Graham, fuller, Hicks) and save the money for next year, or keep in this order fuller, Hicks, Graham. It’s that simple.

I’ll admit he hasn’t played great this season that’s obvious. I’d still start him over vildor or Shelley.

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
What part am I in denial about? Pace didn’t cut Fuller to roll over cap space for next year or because he thought he was declining. He chose Graham over him. I still think that was the wrong move.

I’d have preferred either cut all 3 (Graham, fuller, Hicks) and save the money for next year, or keep in this order fuller, Hicks, Graham. It’s that simple.

I’ll admit he hasn’t played great this season that’s obvious. I’d still start him over vildor or Shelley.

See, now you are talking out of both sides man. He's been bad this year, but you'd still overpay him to be bad for us. Why?

We're getting similar production at a cheaper price. They're all bad. So why the hell should we still have him? To give you a warm fuzzy?

Brandon Marshall

Liked Posts:
I thought Fuller was quite good for us last season and this sudden sharp decline seems pretty abnormal. If they do end up cutting him I would consider bringing him back on a 1 1/2 year (or 1 year in the off-season) "prove it" deal so he can try to go get one last payday somewhere else at the conclusion of 2022(again assuming that offer isn't out there elsewhere when he's available again)

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Fangio probably expected Fuller to play man instead of his soft zone shit.

Milky

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Fangio probably expected Fuller to play man instead of his soft zone shit.
Fangio should know better. It’s the way he used Fuller that helped him make him the corner he was.

mceownr22

PacetheGawd
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Surtain on Denver is a future all pro. The guy looks the part in every which way - funny how Fuller is benched for more PT from Darby and Callahan though especially being one of Fangios guys

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
I haven't watched any of their games. Fuller is still a really CB. If they're moving him to slot then, no, he is much better in zone and reacting.

I know we have all said this 1000 times about Bears CB, but I believe he would be a solid in the box safety for a few years any way.