Kyle Hendricks

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
He was referring to KB saying that prospects don't matter at all, some people like to talk about them and should be free to do so.

I am referring to KB saying that prospects mostly bust, some people like to talk about that and should be free to do so.

Can we now start a thread on how prospects mostly bust/homerism so we don't have to post it on every thread, taking it off-topic ?

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
He was referring to KB saying that prospects don't matter at all, some people like to talk about them and should be free to do so.

That's fine, but he shouldn't be calling people idiots for saying that they really don't care about the success of prospects until the MLB level. I really don't get too enthused over prospects after seeing so many falter from the Cubs and other organizations, and so few become even contributors on the Cubs.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
That's fine, but he shouldn't be calling people idiots for saying that they really don't care about the success of prospects until the MLB level. I really don't get too enthused over prospects after seeing so many falter from the Cubs and other organizations, and so few become even contributors on the Cubs.

The problem most have is that there really is a middle ground. Not all prospects fail, and so having success in the minors is not nothing. The people who are penciling in lineups and rotations for 2015 and beyond should be equally ridiculed, but people should be free to discuss the progress of what everyone agrees is important part of the organization.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The problem most have is that there really is a middle ground. Not all prospects fail, and so having success in the minors is not nothing. The people who are penciling in lineups and rotations for 2015 and beyond should be equally ridiculed, but people should be free to discuss the progress of what everyone agrees is important part of the organization.

Like I said, my memories of Cubs prospects are Pie, Patterson, and Mark Prior. So seeing the :fap: and overreaction to everything Almora, Baez, Soler etc. do is misguided.

I've learned not to get too enthused about their progress until they start producing at the MLB level, though like you said these guys have to prove themselves somewhere before they land in the majors.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Like I said, my memories of Cubs prospects are Pie, Patterson, and Mark Prior. So seeing the :fap: and overreaction to everything Almora, Baez, Soler etc. do is misguided.

I've learned not to get too enthused about their progress until they start producing at the MLB level, though like you said these guys have to prove themselves somewhere before they land in the majors.
Prior should not be on that last. He was a stud in the majors. Unfortunately, for where ever you want to place the blame on it, he was not able to continue at the level he established in the pros due to injuries.

The rest of the list is exactly why the Cubs outspent the rest of the division for a decade and where no were near as successful as the cream of the crop. The Cubs have to be able to develop talent from within to be a successful franchise long term. There is no one debating that point. So again, skepticism is all right. I think a lot of us in this thread have pointed to the reasons to not get excited about a prospect like Kyle Hendricks. On the other hand, this is not nothing that a pitcher that most everyone expected to get exposed against upper level talent in the minors is succeeding.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
So seeing the and overreaction to everything Almora, Baez, Soler etc. do is misguided.

nothing wrong with being excited about the young players coming up thru the system, especially when their having success.

key to a team having continuous success year after year is by having a good mix of young players thru out every level of the organization..
this way you have a good quantity of players to choose from to either trade, or keep to help improve your club.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
key to a team having continuous success year after year is by having a good mix of young players thru out every level of the organization.

There really is no such thing as a team having continuous success year after year unless you are the Yankees and can outspend everyone.

The facts have been presented to you time and time again.

But you just continue to believe the fairy tales Uncle Theo tells you when he tucks you in at night if it helps you sleep better.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nothing wrong with prospects. We do have some exciting ones. I just like looking at all aspects of baseball and not just the major league club. Prospects fail a lot, but I think its about time the Cubs got some luck and a couple make an impact. It has been long enough. The law of averages have to come around.

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
nothing wrong with being excited about the young players coming up thru the system, especially when their having success.

key to a team having continuous success year after year is by having a good mix of young players thru out every level of the organization..
this way you have a good quantity of players to choose from to either trade, or keep to help improve your club.

Nothing wrong with being tired of watching bad baseball at the ML level when Command Central is tanking seasons.

Nothing wrong with hiring geniuses for our scouting and development and making it "easy" for them to use their skills, in the draft, internationaly, and at Neverland, while tanking seasons.

Nothing wrong with placing a quality ML team on the field and allowing the great McThoyer to earn their stripes in scouting/drafting at the same time.

Nothing wrong with questioning when this freight train of success is supposed to start.

Because it hasn't, and probably never will, continuing in this direction.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
That said though, we are talking about Kyle Hendricks here, and I still wouldn't put him even in the conversation for this farm's Top Ten just because of a good month, so maybe a thread about this specific prospect was a bit unnecessary

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
That said though, we are talking about Kyle Hendricks here, and I still wouldn't put him even in the conversation for this farm's Top Ten just because of a good month, so maybe a thread about this specific prospect was a bit unnecessary

Look at the thread starter...