Kyle Trask

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
After watching every available video of every quarterback in this draft, the biggest disparity between what I read and and what I see is in relation to Kyle Trask. I get it, he's not athletic or fast, and his arm is good but not great. From what I see, he has every other thing you want from an NFL quarterback. People call him a statue, but I am consistently impressed with his ability to move within the pocket and his ability to throw on the move in the pocket. His poise is great, he goes through his progressions, doesn't get rattled and throws with accuracy to all levels. Some of his best throws came with pressure in his face. I also see questions about his arm strength, particularly on deep balls, but I see a guy consistently putting the ball where only his receiver can make a play.

Now, obviously he's not a perfect prospect, besides the lack of athleticism and elite arm, he tries to make some throws he doesn't have the arm for. I definitely don't see him carrying a team on his back, he's going to need a strong supporting group, but that can be said for a lot of quarterbacks. I don't see him being a top 10 QB in the NFL, but top 20? That wouldn't surprise me at all.

I'm all in favor of the Bears trading up for a QB, if that's the route they go, so be it. If one of the top 5 guys fall, great. If not, I think Trask is the best of the rest. I don't know if I'd take him at 20, but I also wouldn't be upset if they did. I think he's severely under rated.

Throwthebones

Liked Posts:
If it is their bpa. I am not going to judge it. I think the options at 20 if we stay there could have a better player available.

Black Rainbow

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Good write up.

He's lower on the draft boards because he doesn't have a rocket arm, and he doesn't have any speed.

I've noticed he doesn't seem to throw over 50-ish yards. I doubt he could hit 60 on a bounce and +70 like Cutler...yeah, he's just not capable of it.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
Good write up.

He's lower on the draft boards because he doesn't have a rocket arm, and he doesn't have any speed.

I've noticed he doesn't seem to throw over 50-ish yards. I doubt he could hit 60 on a bounce and +70 like Cutler...yeah, he's just not capable of it.

For sure, his arm is probably just above average, but personally I'll take accuracy over arm strength every day. If he had Cutler's arm he'd be a top 10 pick.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
If it is their bpa. I am not going to judge it. I think the options at 20 if we stay there could have a better player available.

I think ideally they would grab him with a trade down, but this is a very hard draft to predict. Honestly there aren't any prospects who will likely be there at 20 who excite me.

greg23

Liked Posts:
I think ideally they would grab him with a trade down, but this is a very hard draft to predict. Honestly there aren't any prospects who will likely be there at 20 who excite me.

Only guys that excited me are

Darrisaw (likely not getting to 20)

Farley (injury concerns)

Newsome (injury concerns)

Everyone else is mehhh...and could be had later or a similar player available at same spot later

Black Rainbow

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
For sure, his arm is probably just above average, but personally I'll take accuracy over arm strength every day. If he had Cutler's arm he'd be a top 10 pick.
The complaint will be "he cannot stretch the field."

Just watch.

vanavyman

Liked Posts:
There is a good chance Pittsburg takes Trask at 24. If the Bears want him then take him at 20. That would be the backup to the backup to the backup plan. Not sure there are any other plans.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
I think he could accumulate a number of similar seasons that Orton did when he got traded to Denver, but I am far from sold that he's the man.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
There is a good chance Pittsburg takes Trask at 24. If the Bears want him then take him at 20. That would be the backup to the backup to the backup plan. Not sure there are any other plans.

I do think Pitt is the team that just isn't getting any talk about making a move up for a QB but that offense needs a legit RB badly and hard to see them passing up Etienne or N.Harris.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
I do think Pitt is the team that just isn't getting any talk about making a move up for a QB but that offense needs a legit RB badly and hard to see them passing up Etienne or N.Harris.

Harris seems like the absolute prototypical Steeler running back.

aeronaut

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Northwestern Wildcats
There is a good chance Pittsburg takes Trask at 24.
Let them. There are better players available at 20 and at 24. I'm not sure Trask should be the pick at 52.

The other knock on him is that he had Pitts and Toney to throw to, two guys who should be drafted well before him. Same complaint with McCorkle Jones, whichever team they go to will likely not have pass catchers as good as their college teams did, and they might not perform as well because of it. One can certainly argue that Waddle and Pitts and Smith and Toney did not face the same quality of coverage in college as they will in the pros, so that alone will make it tougher for Mac and Trask.

Shepard

Renegade
Donator
Liked Posts:
I really like Trask- as its already been stated multiple times above...

Not a great arm and thats problematic in a place like Soldier Field.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He won't find time to throw it 60 yards anyway. His game is about making a read before that and letting it go though he's not shy of contact. Arm is probably strong enough if his head is working. If he learns to use his legs more on his throws... He doesn't drive off his back leg or step through his throws. His lack of velocity is not so much about 'arm' strength. More rotates his upper body.

Best reads, ball placement in the draft. His velocity is a bigger question than his foot speed. No guarantees that you can get his lower body involved in his throws to increase his velocity and if so, not mess him up in the process.

Last edited:

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
The only reason people would be mad at the Bears drafting Trask at #20 is because the media narrative right now is that he could last until the 3rd rd.

Not sure why thats the narrative. His resume is that of a top 10 pick. He is certainly worthy of being selected at #20. I've already been beating this drum, so I'll keep it brief here.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Steelers already have his twin on their roster, Mason Rudolph.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The only reason people would be mad at the Bears drafting Trask at #20 is because the media narrative right now is that he could last until the 3rd rd.

Not sure why thats the narrative. His resume is that of a top 10 pick. He is certainly worthy of being selected at #20. I've already been beating this drum, so I'll keep it brief here.
Mason Rudolph was a very similar prospect to Trask, and he went in the 3rd round. Pick #20 would be an incredible reach.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Trask has plenty of arm and touch. I don't think there is as much separating him and Jones as some think.

Trask is a great second round prospect. He lacks alot of athleticism and only started 1.5 seasons. Too much risk and too low of a ceiling for first round but no doubt he could be a starter.