Kyle Trask

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Yeah this is the problem and its been exacerbated massively this year. There was no combine, all the college tape needs to be taken with a grain of salt, a lot of prospect didn't even play in 2020 and, most of all, everyone has just gone quarterback mad to the point where five quarterbacks are probably going in the top ten despite all those other uncertainties.

The Bears would really be wise to not even address the position this year. Let things calm down and make a run at a quarterback in the 2022 draft. There's no reason to partake in the madness.

No they need to do something. You can't go yet another year without drafting a QB.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
From that article: We received backlash for placing Trask at No. 5 in our SEC quarterback rankings that published prior to Week 7 — behind Alabama’s Mac Jones, LSU’s Myles Brennan, Ole MissMatt Corral and ArkansasFeleipe Franks (although Trask is up to No. 4 following a disastrous performance by Corral in Week 7). :rolleyes:

Here's a better tabulation of his performance and comes up with some interesting stats.:
Makes you wonder if his placement is away from defenders to give his WRs an advantage or if his WRs are just making him look good. Does show his downfield throws and accuracy % is fine.

It was posted on October 20, at which point Trask had played 3 games. "Week 7" was not the 7th game.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
No they need to do something. You can't go yet another year without drafting a QB.
If the only qbs that are valued as worth having by your talent evaluators are the top 5 and they are gone, then you are better off going another year without drafting one. Then you can fill holes with picks instead of arbitrarily picking a guy you don't like because he is a qb.

zabavka

The owls are not what they seem...
Liked Posts:
Would be fine with him as our 2nd round pick, hoping for an OT in round 1 to replace Leno.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Do they really though? Because this certainly feels like buying high on the position for no real reason. I'm not sure this quarterback class is the generational bounty that it gets portrayed as.

The Bears might be able to score pretty good value at non-quarterback positions while a quarter of the league scrambles against each other. Zig while everyone else zags.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
If the only qbs that are valued as worth having by your talent evaluators are the top 5 and they are gone, then you are better off going another year without drafting one. Then you can fill holes with picks instead of arbitrarily picking a guy you don't like because he is a qb.

We all know the "talent evaluators" get shit wrong every year. You need to swing at the fucking ball to get a home run. Pace won't even take a damn swing outside of Trubisky.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
We all know the "talent evaluators" get shit wrong every year. You need to swing at the fucking ball to get a home run. Pace won't even take a damn swing outside of Trubisky.
If he can go up and get someone that makes sense. If he truly believes in one of the lower guys, that is fine too, but drafting a qb just because is a waste of a pick

Montucky

Liked Posts:
OK but what's wrong with using this years draft resources to maximize the chances a quarterback they draft next year is successful?

If you're down by three runs in the bottom of the ninth with the bases empty you don't swing for relatively low-likelihood the home run. You take your better odds at getting on base and give yourself and your team more paths to success. To follow this baseball analogy, the difference between having a stud offensive line and not having a stud offensive line is the difference between bases loaded nobody out in that situation, or bases empty two outs. Which scenario would rather swing for the fences in?

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Trask is not a fit for the Bears. It's all over when the pocket collapses.

To an extent, but at the same time he's really, really good at moving around the pocket and avoiding the rush. I hear what you're saying, but that's one of things that impresses me the most. He's the kind of guy who makes offensive lines look better than they are, because he understands how to move in the pocket and keep his eyes downfield. And he can deliver accurate passes from different angles while doing so. This to me is a super under rated aspect of playing quarterback.

I hear where you're coming from....u like Trask. I've said this many times here. I want a Qb who can operate in or out of the pocket. For me, one is not exclusive of the other. Yes I'd want my Qb to effectively deliver the ball from the pocket.

However, when the breaks down, I want my Qb to escape and extend the play. I don't see Trask as that type of Qb.
I don't see Trask being a threat to the D. The D play normal coverages, while not worrying about him leaving the pocket and making a play. Plus Trask will not get the pass pro here, that he got in college,

Last edited:

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
OK but what's wrong with using this years draft resources to maximize the chances a quarterback they draft next year is successful?

If you're down by three runs in the bottom of the ninth with the bases empty you don't swing for relatively low-likelihood the home run. You take your better odds at getting on base and give yourself and your team more paths to success. To follow this baseball analogy, the difference between having a stud offensive line and not having a stud offensive line is the difference between bases loaded nobody out in that situation, or bases empty two outs. Which scenario would rather swing for the fences in?
Pace has had 7 years already. Shit or get off the pot.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
having a stud offensive line and not having a stud offensive line is the difference
^^^^^^^^^^^^

Dunno about the baseball analogy tho. Keep it simple...A stud OL gives you more chances for big chunk plays that good teams seem to get with ease and what Nagy's offense is supposed to look like. Leno and Ifedi are not the makings of a stud OL, no matter how promising/young/good the interior guys have been.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
From that article: We received backlash for placing Trask at No. 5 in our SEC quarterback rankings that published prior to Week 7 — behind Alabama’s Mac Jones, LSU’s Myles Brennan, Ole MissMatt Corral and ArkansasFeleipe Franks (although Trask is up to No. 4 following a disastrous performance by Corral in Week 7). :rolleyes:

Here's a better tabulation of his performance and comes up with some interesting stats.:
Makes you wonder if his placement is away from defenders to give his WRs an advantage or if his WRs are just making him look good. Does show his downfield throws and accuracy % is fine.

Nice follow up source. Seems more comprehensive than the one I found & posted. I won't count talent around him against him. Concerns still are notable however.

Especially since Nagy LOVE him some short game passing more than any other coach it seems.

1619506909003.png

FWIW - This also seems to back up Draft Dr Phil's tape analysis insisting that Mond is NOT a solid or reliable QB.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
For sure, his arm is probably just above average, but personally I'll take accuracy over arm strength every day. If he had Cutler's arm he'd be a top 10 pick.
No he would not. His feet are extremely slow. I'm not talking about his athletic speed. We know he's slow there. (Which is not a deal breaker) I'm talking about his footwork in the pocket. Shades of Christian Hackenberg. Cinder block feet. Often his upper half turns before his lower half when scanning the field. Your footwork is supposed to direct your shoulders. Not the other way around.

Last edited:

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Nice follow up source. Seems more comprehensive than the one I found & posted. I won't count talent around him against him. Concerns still are notable however.

Especially since Nagy LOVE him some short game passing more than any other coach it seems.

View attachment 11451

FWIW - This also seems to back up Draft Dr Phil's tape analysis insisting that Mond is NOT a solid or reliable QB.
There are always circumstances involved. So many of Trasks short throws are dumps after going through deep to short progressions. That said, he's also not the QB to be squeezing throws into tight coverage unless it's a one on one ball.

jerkstore

Liked Posts:
There are always circumstances involved. So many of Trasks short throws are dumps after going through deep to short progressions. That said, he's also not the QB to be squeezing throws into tight coverage unless it's a one on one ball.
Wasn’t he shaky on the short tosses during his pro day too? Got better with distance as I recall.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Wasn’t he shaky on the short tosses during his pro day too? Got better with distance as I recall.
He was fine but really, with all his good points, there's a couple that could be fatal flaws. I don't think he'll be the 6th QB. Probably 8th.

HansGruber

INFIDEL
Liked Posts:
Typical bear fans willing to settle for a shit QB

Toast88

Liked Posts:
If you love Colt McCoy, boy do I have a quarterback for you in this draft...