Kyle Trask

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
I would rather have Kyle Trask in the second and an offensive tackle in the first than trade up for any of these quarterbacks.
Completely agree. My home run draft is a trade down where we net an OT, CB and Trask with 3 2nd round selections.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Trask is not a fit for the Bears. It's all over when the pocket collapses.

EDPeezy

Liked Posts:
Whatever. Trade down if they want him. Accumulate.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
Trask is not a fit for the Bears. It's all over when the pocket collapses.

To an extent, but at the same time he's really, really good at moving around the pocket and avoiding the rush. I hear what you're saying, but that's one of things that impresses me the most. He's the kind of guy who makes offensive lines look better than they are, because he understands how to move in the pocket and keep his eyes downfield. And he can deliver accurate passes from different angles while doing so. This to me is a super under rated aspect of playing quarterback.

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Trask came in 2nd place behind Jones. That’s why Jones is ahead of him. Got to win the big games. If a QB is lacking in athletic qualities.

That’s why I wanted Watson ahead of Trubisky. He won the big games. Trubisky had athletic ability but not the gun Mahomes had. I have to give KC credit for evaluating and coaching their QB. KC knew who they wanted. Pace on the other hand was hiding his pick from his HC. There was no united front. Mitch should’ve sat the year instead of playing that year.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I read that the MAJORITY of his completed passes & yards were to WRs & RBs
BEHIND
the line of scrimmage!

His other players got his yards. Trask's completion % beyond LOS was ~ 44 % near worst among prospects.
Scary stuff, but ironically it sounds exactly like what Nagy has been calling so who knows!??

Seriously tho...
Yikes - Seinfeld sm.gif

I really HATE posting a link from this source, but there are some stat nuggets that are more turd than shine for the guy: Treash: Why Florida’s Kyle Trask is not an elite SEC quarterback | College Football | PFF

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
After watching every available video of every quarterback in this draft, the biggest disparity between what I read and and what I see is in relation to Kyle Trask. I get it, he's not athletic or fast, and his arm is good but not great. From what I see, he has every other thing you want from an NFL quarterback. People call him a statue, but I am consistently impressed with his ability to move within the pocket and his ability to throw on the move in the pocket. His poise is great, he goes through his progressions, doesn't get rattled and throws with accuracy to all levels. Some of his best throws came with pressure in his face. I also see questions about his arm strength, particularly on deep balls, but I see a guy consistently putting the ball where only his receiver can make a play.

Now, obviously he's not a perfect prospect, besides the lack of athleticism and elite arm, he tries to make some throws he doesn't have the arm for. I definitely don't see him carrying a team on his back, he's going to need a strong supporting group, but that can be said for a lot of quarterbacks. I don't see him being a top 10 QB in the NFL, but top 20? That wouldn't surprise me at all.

I'm all in favor of the Bears trading up for a QB, if that's the route they go, so be it. If one of the top 5 guys fall, great. If not, I think Trask is the best of the rest. I don't know if I'd take him at 20, but I also wouldn't be upset if they did. I think he's severely under rated.
His biggest problem is he looked like shit in the Bowl game and Bowl game evaluation is half of the process for evaluating guys.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
BEHIND
the line of scrimmage!

His other players got his yards. Trask's completion % beyond LOS was ~ 44 % near worst among prospects.
Scary stuff, but ironically it sounds exactly like what Nagy has been calling so who knows!??

Seriously tho...
View attachment 11432

I really HATE posting a link from this source, but there are some stat nuggets that are more turd than shine for the guy: Treash: Why Florida’s Kyle Trask is not an elite SEC quarterback | College Football | PFF

That was posted after three games, just for the record. Be curious to see a an evaluation of the whole season.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
BEHIND
the line of scrimmage!

Seriously tho...
View attachment 11432

From that article: We received backlash for placing Trask at No. 5 in our SEC quarterback rankings that published prior to Week 7 — behind Alabama’s Mac Jones, LSU’s Myles Brennan, Ole MissMatt Corral and ArkansasFeleipe Franks (although Trask is up to No. 4 following a disastrous performance by Corral in Week 7). :rolleyes:

Here's a better tabulation of his performance and comes up with some interesting stats.:
Makes you wonder if his placement is away from defenders to give his WRs an advantage or if his WRs are just making him look good. Does show his downfield throws and accuracy % is fine.

Last edited:

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
I do think Pitt is the team that just isn't getting any talk about making a move up for a QB but that offense needs a legit RB badly and hard to see them passing up Etienne or N.Harris.
Pitt needs to fix their offensive line otherwise it doesn't matter who the RB is. Teen Jenkins seems like a good fit for them. RB's can be found pretty easy, OL not so much.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Harris seems like the absolute prototypical Steeler running back.
Yeah i could see them taking either one of the top 2 RB's, but C M.Pouncey also retired after the year and they haven't re-signed LT A.Villanueva so they could grab C or T as well.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Completely agree. My home run draft is a trade down where we net an OT, CB and Trask with 3 2nd round selections.

Yeah i think i'm pretty sold on trading down as my top option as well, but if we went up and got either of the two that will be left after San Fran takes one i wouldn't hate the move just because of knowing how important the QB position is. If they swing and miss again then we get a new GM and coaching staff and do another rebuild which this team needs if they don't hit at QB in the next year or two anyway.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
To an extent, but at the same time he's really, really good at moving around the pocket and avoiding the rush. I hear what you're saying, but that's one of things that impresses me the most. He's the kind of guy who makes offensive lines look better than they are, because he understands how to move in the pocket and keep his eyes downfield. And he can deliver accurate passes from different angles while doing so. This to me is a super under rated aspect of playing quarterback.

I'm far from the guy that comes on here acting like i know what QB will be what when they get to the NFL but i have both Mills and Mond ranked above Trask and would love to get any of the 3 in the 3rd round. I don't think they all last until the 3rd round is the issue because there's too many QB needy teams that don't mind using a 2nd round pick on one.

jerkstore

Liked Posts:
...Here's a better tabulation of his performance and comes up with some interesting stats.:
Makes you wonder if his placement is away from defenders to give his WRs an advantage or if his WRs are just making him look good. Does show his downfield throws and accuracy % is fine.
Yeah, I’ve tried to buy in in Trask and I like him as a mid round pick, but I think you really want to see more than “fine” given the very favorable circumstances he operated within.

Bottom line is he looks like a good QB2 to me with maybe a Mike Glennon type career. He’s definitely not somebody I’d go out of my way to draft though— he’s like plan D.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yeah, I’ve tried to buy in in Trask and I like him as a mid round pick, but I think you really want to see more than “fine” given the very favorable circumstances he operated within.

Bottom line is he looks like a good QB2 to me with maybe a Mike Glennon type career. He’s definitely not somebody I’d go out of my way to draft though— he’s like plan D.
Could be but that same PFF pub currently has Trask rated as the 6th QB in this draft and worthy of round the end of 2.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I was just listening to a podcast that McShay was on. He said it's his gut instinct that only 5 QBs go in the first, but he is hearing that it might be 6. The 6th QB he keeps hearing is Trask and there is smoke surrounding TB taking him at the end of 1, fwiw.

vanavyman

Liked Posts:
If the Bears can't get a top 5 QB I'd expect Nagy to get his pick of the next 4: Mills, Trask, Monds, and Newton. The most talented QB of those 4 is Mills. If he is Nagy's guy don't be surprised if they take him at 20 and not take a chance of loosing him too.

Last edited:

aeronaut

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Northwestern Wildcats
If we can't get a top 5 QB I'd expect Nagy to get his pick of the next 4: Mills, Trask, Monds, and Newton. The most talented QB of those 4 is Mills. If he is Nagy's guy don't be surprised if they take him at 20 and not take a chance of loosing him too.
Mills at 20? If nothing else, we could engineer a trade down for two picks in the second, or a later first and a third, and then trade down again. Mills can comfortably be had mid second round, and we can gain some picks this year or next year, if that's the route Pace and Nagy want to go, or end up having to go because their top guy ends up elsewhere despite their efforts.

I mean, it's like saying that the Pats should have taken Brady in round 1. I mean, anyone would have taken him in round one if they knew he'd win 7 super bowls and counting, but nobody knows the future. At the time Brady was not highly regarded, and the Pats got decent value taking him in the 6th round, never mind his future career trajectory.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Mills at 20? If nothing else, we could engineer a trade down for two picks in the second, or a later first and a third, and then trade down again. Mills can comfortably be had mid second round, and we can gain some picks this year or next year, if that's the route Pace and Nagy want to go, or end up having to go because their top guy ends up elsewhere despite their efforts.

I mean, it's like saying that the Pats should have taken Brady in round 1. I mean, anyone would have taken him in round one if they knew he'd win 7 super bowls and counting, but nobody knows the future. At the time Brady was not highly regarded, and the Pats got decent value taking him in the 6th round, never mind his future career trajectory.

You don't know this. No one does.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
You don't know this. No one does.
Yeah this is the problem and its been exacerbated massively this year. There was no combine, all the college tape needs to be taken with a grain of salt, a lot of prospect didn't even play in 2020 and, most of all, everyone has just gone quarterback mad to the point where five quarterbacks are probably going in the top ten despite all those other uncertainties.

The Bears would really be wise to not even address the position this year. Let things calm down and make a run at a quarterback in the 2022 draft. There's no reason to partake in the madness.