Leno. HE GONE

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Hopefully means we going after Fisher. Dont like the idea of throwing Jenkins into fire at LT.
Could Jenkins really do worse than Leno though?

IMO; this move more than any screams that we're actually going to commit to running the ball. Leno was decent in pass pro but worthless in the run game. We committed to the run in the second half and were rewarded for it; something that Ifedi is better at than pass blocking and he was re-signed and penciled in as the starter at RT.

We went out and signed a starting caliber running back in Damien Williams then spent a pick on Khalil Herbert. We also drafted Teven Jenkins who's known for his nastiness in the run game. I like what I'm seeing here and it seems like we're preparing the team to have a good defense and running game, which both always help out a rookie QB.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Ifedi isn't great but he's solid, especially in the run game. We signed a starting running back in Damien Williams even though we already have one in Montgomery and a 3rd-down back in Cohen. We drafted a run mauler in Jenkins and another big boy in Borom. We drafted another running back in Herbert. We cut the worst run blocking lineman we have.

We're gearing up to lean on the running game, friends. Dalton is going to get the Mitch Trubisky treatment from last year: token starter then a quick hook as soon as he falters. Fields will be taking over a team with (hopefully) a good defense and run game to lean on.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
He really wasn't. And if the NFL starts flagging holding again he's even worse than he was last year.
Lol leno doesn't hold unless it's obvious and gets called out on it aka flagged

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
I seem to recall Bars doing an ok job at LT when he filled in a few plays. Perhaps?

greg23

Liked Posts:
I would REALLY love it if Pace pulls magic out of a hat and signs Fisher....former #1 overall pick, pro bowler and super bowl champ

Fisher
Whitehair
Mustipher
Daniels
Jenkins

Bars
Borom
Ifedi
Wilkinson

Potential to be a top 5-10 unit with good mix of pass/run protection, nastiness and decent depth with youth mixed in.

Throwing Jenkins at LT and whomever at RT could be good.....could be a disaster.....seems like a gamble at this point without seeing any of the rookies vs nfl talent and speed

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Jenkins is going to LT. You don't trade to move up to the top of the 2nd round, by giving up another day 2 pick to take a guy you say is a 1st round talent, just to play him at RT. You also don't play 4.5M to Ifedi to ride the bench. And you don't put Ifedi at guard and either bench Daniels (who you invested a 2nd round pick in) or move him or Whitehair back to C where they both were below average.

I figured Leno being cut was the move, and I'm perfectly fine with it on the surface. But it seems like the big cap casualty decisions came down to Hicks vs. Fuller and Leno vs. Graham. Even with Jenkins picked, I would rather have Fuller and Leno over Hicks and Graham.

Last edited:

Canth

Liked Posts:
Wow, I did not expect them to move on from Leno so soon.

It has to be a combination of they believe that much in Jenkins and that they think Borom is their future RT. They did comment that Borom had slimmed down quite a bit and they did designate him as a OT on the draft card. Interesting.

You have to think though that they are bringing another OT into the mix somehow for competition and depth.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Wow, I did not expect them to move on from Leno so soon.

It has to be a combination of they believe that much in Jenkins and that they think Borom is their future RT. They did comment that Borom had slimmed down quite a bit and they did designate him as a OT on the draft card. Interesting.

You have to think though that they are bringing another OT into the mix somehow for competition and depth.

you mean like ifedi? Lol

Nelly

Liked Posts:
I can't get on board with the Bears thinking they could get a day 1 starter in the 5th round. Maybe it could turn out that way but I doubt they'd plan on that.

Occam's razor suggests that Jenkins is tabbed for LT while Ifedi is tabbed for RT. Both guys excel more at run blocking while James Daniels is outstanding at getting to the second level in the run game and Whitehair better in the run game as well. We wouldn't be cutting Leno to save $9 mil just to sign a guy like Fisher if he's going to cost $6 mil or so (Ifedi was $5).

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Have you seen how Leno played in 2020?

Even the 5th round pick would probably do better than that. All he would have to do would be to jump on the ground and he would be better because he would be a bigger cone to get around.

Then saving 9 million is the cherry on top.

Leno was bad for years. The season he signed his last contract that he became a flag magnet and has been floundering ever since.

My point was less about Turnstile Charlie and more about the uncertainty at the position with a rookie starting and unproven depth behind him. I honestly have no idea what Wilkerson offers at swing tackle.

Hopefully the staff saw something in the late draft picks / UFDA from 2020.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Leno was bad for years. The season he signed his last contract that he became a flag magnet and has been floundering ever since.

My point was less about Turnstile Charlie and more about the uncertainty at the position with a rookie starting and unproven depth behind him. I honestly have no idea what Wilkerson offers at swing tackle.

Hopefully the staff saw something in the late draft picks / UFDA from 2020.
Then put in one of last year's 6th round Tackles. Not a rookie, much cheaper than Leno and probably not worse than Leno.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Could Jenkins really do worse than Leno though?

IMO; this move more than any screams that we're actually going to commit to running the ball. Leno was decent in pass pro but worthless in the run game. We committed to the run in the second half and were rewarded for it; something that Ifedi is better at than pass blocking and he was re-signed and penciled in as the starter at RT.

We went out and signed a starting caliber running back in Damien Williams then spent a pick on Khalil Herbert. We also drafted Teven Jenkins who's known for his nastiness in the run game. I like what I'm seeing here and it seems like we're preparing the team to have a good defense and running game, which both always help out a rookie QB.

Not a question of doing worse. I think Jenkins has legit Pro Bowl potential at RT. I think he is more likely to be just slightly above average at LT. But of course time will tell.