Leno. HE GONE

Canth

Liked Posts:
I can't get on board with the Bears thinking they could get a day 1 starter in the 5th round. Maybe it could turn out that way but I doubt they'd plan on that.

Occam's razor suggests that Jenkins is tabbed for LT while Ifedi is tabbed for RT. Both guys excel more at run blocking while James Daniels is outstanding at getting to the second level in the run game and Whitehair better in the run game as well. We wouldn't be cutting Leno to save $9 mil just to sign a guy like Fisher if he's going to cost $6 mil or so (Ifedi was $5).

What I meant on Borom was more along the lines of developing him to be the future RT. So, from a practice snaps perspective, are they planning to give him a bunch of snaps at RT to be that eventual starter? I would expect Ifedi to be the 2021 starter, but he is on a 1 year deal, right? So, they are going to need to develop and/or find some pieces for the future.

Along those same lines, you take a hit with a rookie LT, but from a pure development standpoint, the move makes sense to not screw around and get Jenkins ready as quickly as possible.

Also, this continues to send a very strong message to the offensive line and the team in general that things are changing. The Bears appear to be making a real effort to get tougher and more physical on the line which will be a good thing and can help set a new tone for everyone.

Canth

Liked Posts:
you mean like ifedi? Lol

If you are referring to the competition and depth part, I was more thinking of...who is the depth at LT or swing tackle? With Leno gone, you are back to having only one LT maybe in Jenkins who still has to prove it.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Not a question of doing worse. I think Jenkins has legit Pro Bowl potential at RT. I think he is more likely to be just slightly above average at LT. But of course time will tell.

I kind of wonder if the Bears may do a reverse of what we see with rookie OTs. Wonder if they would throw Jenkins in there at LT as a rookie, and then depending on who they're able to draft or sign, if they would move him to RT long-term.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Is it possible that the Bears are looking to move to a more power blocking scheme?

Both tackles drafted are big men. Add to that the two linemen drafted in 2019.

More 60-40. Nagy tried to do so in 2019 but the OL and Howard were not good fits.

Cheifs are like 60-40. Bears under Fox were like 80-20 in favor of zone. HowarD sucked trying to do 60-40 but then had a late seasoN resurgence when they moved back to 80-20.

Article above highlights this. It is easier to disguise RPOs when the blocking is Gap/Power vs zone.

Last edited:

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
If you are referring to the competition and depth part, I was more thinking of...who is the depth at LT or swing tackle? With Leno gone, you are back to having only one LT maybe in Jenkins who still has to prove it.
Bars and Wilkerson have both played LT.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I kind of wonder if the Bears may do a reverse of what we see with rookie OTs. Wonder if they would throw Jenkins in there at LT as a rookie, and then depending on who they're able to draft or sign, if they would move him to RT long-term.

That is a possibility.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Borom might not be ready to play right away... but the dude had a 0% pressures rate last year. I think they expect him to contribute sooner rather than later. His biggest knock was conditioning followed by technique.

Bears4Ever_34

Liked Posts:
Why would they do this before seeing how the competition shakes out in training camp? Are they expecting Jenkins to be the LT? What if he sucks there and can only play on the right side? I don't get the rush to release him already.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Why would they do this before seeing how the competition shakes out in training camp? Are they expecting Jenkins to be the LT? What if he sucks there and can only play on the right side? I don't get the rush to release him already.
They needed to cut some salary cap so Leno was the one being sacrificed. It's about that simple.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
What I meant on Borom was more along the lines of developing him to be the future RT. So, from a practice snaps perspective, are they planning to give him a bunch of snaps at RT to be that eventual starter? I would expect Ifedi to be the 2021 starter, but he is on a 1 year deal, right? So, they are going to need to develop and/or find some pieces for the future.

Along those same lines, you take a hit with a rookie LT, but from a pure development standpoint, the move makes sense to not screw around and get Jenkins ready as quickly as possible.

Also, this continues to send a very strong message to the offensive line and the team in general that things are changing. The Bears appear to be making a real effort to get tougher and more physical on the line which will be a good thing and can help set a new tone for everyone.
I think it'd be smart to keep Jenkins tabbed at the RT of the future. Maybe they toss him in there at LT for this year since Ifedi is already around, then plan to grab a left tackle next year and move Jenkins. Anyhoo, it should be interesting to watch.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Well, I was telling people here that Leno, not Graham would be the most likely cap cut.

Here's what I would tell you as well - don't expect the line 1-5 to stay the same (obviously already proven), otherwise, at least without competition.

Leno was a cap cut, yes, but it was also a signal along with this draft that focused on big, mean men in the trenches - no job is safe, and expect competition at every spot to find the best possible combination.

Leno is gone. Whitehair isn't safe, Mustipher has an edge but not guaranteed a spot. Daniels isn't safe. RT is wide open.

This doesn't mean they cut any of the other players I mentioned, but their starting jobs are NOT safe.

They are going to find the best combination to protect their franchise QB, and be merciless doing it.

Because I think Nagy was paying CLOSE attention to the Superbowl, and how mortal Mahommes seemed when his line (granted hurt) was failing....

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Before I fap let me say this: Ballsy move by Pace that I love. You push all your chips in on Teven, gotta be a huge confidence booster for him as well as sending a message to any other "Loafers" (looking at you Eddie Jackson). Love this.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
And that FA RT would be cheaper than FA LTs.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Who will play RT?

Need an upgrade there also.
Could pick up a vet after camp cuts/roster moves. I think any cast offs will most likely be an upgrade to Ifedi, he's awful but did play marginally better at tackle.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
More 60-40. Nagy tried to do so in 2019 but the OL and Howard were not good fits.

Cheifs are like 60-40. Bears under Fox were like 80-20 in favor of zone. Howarf sucked trying to do 60-40 but then had a late seaso resurgence when they moved back to 80-20.

Article above highlights this. It is easier to disguise RPOs when the blocking is Gap/Power vs zone.
With Leno gone, it is much easier seeing that 20% zone going away, and having 80-20.

Is Whitehair the 20% zone? The ND boys seem to be power, Daniels can be either, the picks from the last 2 drafts (4 total) seem to be power, Idefi seems to be power.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I'll bet.......Pace has been coming to CCS .....getting his cues. Pace is thinking...... "If I go down, I'm going down fighting"

??